Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AnyFont, a recently released app from developer Florian Schimanke (via TUAW) allows iOS users to install custom TrueType and OpenType fonts to an iOS device for use in a multiple applications, such as Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

According to the developer, the fonts are installed to an iOS device via a configuration profile after being added to an app's storage in iTunes, which is a new feature introduced with iOS 7.

anyfont.jpg
[AnyFont] takes the fonts that are added to the app's storage by the user via iTunes file sharing or the 'Open in...' dialog and creates a configuration profile from it so it can be installed on the device. AnyFont hands over the newly created profile to Safari which then takes the user to the installation process. When finished, the user is then taken back to AnyFont.
To use the app, .ttf or .otf font files must be installed to the AnyFont app using iTunes. Alternatively, fonts can be installed via Dropbox or Mail, by opening a file in those respective apps and choosing the "Open in..." option for AnyFont.

Once a font is added to the AnyFont app, a single tap will install it to a configuration profile on the device, which then allows the font to be used within other apps in the font selection menus.

While this is handy for creating documents on iOS devices with fonts that are typically unavailable on iOS devices, it is also useful for viewing documents or presentations created on a Mac or PC, as fonts can be preserved. The developer has created a tutorial that explains the entire font installation process, which is fairly easy using Dropbox:

AnyFont can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AnyFont Allows iOS Users to Install Custom Fonts for Use in a Variety of Apps

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Can somebody test if these new fonts work with the newly released Microsoft Office for iPad?

Last edited:

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
The programmer behind this is a user here & first mentioned it a month ago. There's been at least one upgrade approved since then. I can't see Apple cracking down on it since it's using a feature they built for things like this. I just wish more apps used the OS font APIs so they could use the installed fonts.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
You can do this for free already with the Configurator app; I guess this just makes it easier.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
Is that an app available on the App Store? Or how do you do it?

It's in the Mac App Store. It's a program for managing iOS devices, especially when you need a whole bunch of them configured with the same apps and policies at the same time (like a school or corporation).

I'd say AnyFont is better for regular users because it does just one thing, and it does it on the iOS device itself.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
You can do this for free already with the Configurator app; I guess this just makes it easier.

Exactly. Also, Configurator is pretty easy to use itself, can do a whole lot more than just install fonts, and is made by Apple.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Wow, this is actually handy. Didn't even realize this was possible thanks to iOS 7. Guess it is one of those "other" features Apple doesn't really talk about, but is immensely useful.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

I know OS X OS's tend to have extensive issues when bad or duplicate fonts get installed *cough* using any version of Mac Office *cough*, do you know if this is the case for installing fonts within iOS?

schimanke

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Once the fonts are installed to a configuration profile on the device, can you then delete the app?

Yes, you can. The fonts stay installed as long as the configuration profiles stay installed.

----------

Can somebody test if these new fonts works with the newly released Microsoft Office for iPad?

Currently not. But I am already in talks with Microsoft and they have promised to add this feature soon.

----------

Does not work with the new iPad Word Office 365 App.

Currently not. But I am already in talks with Microsoft and they have promised to add this feature soon.

CTgreen

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
Is custom fonts really a new thing for iOS devices?

I'm still waiting on Swype-like functionality before I jump the Android ship. Guess I'll be waiting a while. =/

I throughly love my other Apple products, but there's just no way I can go back to hunt-and-peck style tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap tap tap tapping on a tiny on-screen keyboard. Not for my phone.

ZOZO139434371

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
Is custom fonts really a new thing for iOS devices?

I'm still waiting on Swype-like functionality before I jump the Android ship. Guess I'll be waiting a while. =/

I throughly love my other Apple products, but there's just no way I can go back to hunt-and-peck style tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap tap tap tapping on a tiny on-screen keyboard. Not for my phone.

It isn't new. However, most people probably didn't know how till this app came around, or even more likely, didn't care, since iOS has every font I've ever seen used in any professional setting. It even has Zapfino. Love that font. :D

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
It isn't new. However, most people probably didn't know how till this app came around, or even more likely, didn't care, since iOS has every font I've ever seen used in any professional setting. It even has Zapfino. Love that font. :D

I'm grabbing this because I've got a non-standard, specialty font, with specific symbols that I need to use on occasion. Being able to tweak the Pages document(s) in question while away from my Mac will be handy.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Oh my. Something other than freakin helvetica on the iPad?

Apple's not going to stand for this, no sir.

The standard package of fonts on iOS contains a lot more than freakin helvetica, but the ability to add others is very useful. I had no idea that it was possible before using the Configurator app from Apple (and now this one).

----------

I downloaded Configurator but can't configurate how to install fonts. What am I missing?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Oh my. Something other than freakin helvetica on the iPad?

Apple's not going to stand for this, no sir.

Ive got

Helvetica
Helvetica Neue
Helvetica World
Helvetica Light
Helvetica Condensed
Helvetica Bold
Helvetica Ultra Light

Where can I find this "Freakin Helvetica" you talk about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.