Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which phone has superior capabilities?

• iphone has more abilities thanks to the apple ecosystem

Votes: 45 39.8%
  • iphone has more abilities without the need of the ecosystem

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • s3 has more abilities

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • s3 has more abilities but no one uses them (ex. NFC)

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How everyone, I have a galaxy s3 hence my name. I have owned this phone for approximately 1 year. During my earliest stages of learning about the phone, I realized how much better than an iPhone it truly was. Anything and iPhone could do my galaxy s3 could do faster and better. Then the fun began, I rooted my phone approximately 6 months ago. This is what a smartphone should be. I have 100 control over my phone, not 99 but 100 percent. My friends have nicknamed my galaxy S3, the iPhone killer. By the way, any apps that cost money, I don't have to pay for because of the different app stores available to rooted Android users. At this rate, I may not even move up to the S5 when it comes out.

The S5 is a significant upgrade from the S3. If I had an S3 I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How everyone, I have a galaxy s3 hence my name. I have owned this phone for approximately 1 year. During my earliest stages of learning about the phone, I realized how much better than an iPhone it truly was. Anything and iPhone could do my galaxy s3 could do faster and better. Then the fun began, I rooted my phone approximately 6 months ago. This is what a smartphone should be. I have 100 control over my phone, not 99 but 100 percent. My friends have nicknamed my galaxy S3, the iPhone killer. By the way, any apps that cost money, I don't have to pay for because of the different app stores available to rooted Android users. At this rate, I may not even move up to the S5 when it comes out.

So you steal apps and boast about in on a forum ... Does that make you cool ? :confused:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I bet the chicks are literally throwing themselves at you!

My phone is slightly less important in my life I must admit :)

galaxys3

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
So you steal apps and boast about in on a forum ... Does that make you cool ? :confused:

I don't know about in your world, but in my world apps should be free. I noticed that the only thing you were concerned about as far as my statement was the fact that I got apps for free. Are you sure you don't want to talk about how much more powerful and better your iPhone is in my poor, pitiful galaxy s3? Oh wait, you can't Apple has you by the short hairs.

----------

I bet the chicks are literally throwing themselves at you!

My phone is slightly less important in my life I must admit :)

Let me guess, you have an iPhone? The $400 paperweight. Since your phone is less important to you, spend a day without using it, but don't tell any of your friends or coworkers that you're not using it. Enjoy the chaos that follows. In this day and age, we are all dependent upon our phones. I just happened to think that the Galaxy s3 is a great phone.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I don't know about in your world, but in my world apps should be free. I noticed that the only thing you were concerned about as far as my statement was the fact that I got apps for free. Are you sure you don't want to talk about how much more powerful and better your iPhone is in my poor, pitiful galaxy s3? Oh wait, you can't Apple has you by the short hairs.

----------

Let me guess, you have an iPhone? The $400 paperweight. Since your phone is less important to you, spend a day without using it, but don't tell any of your friends or coworkers that you're not using it. Enjoy the chaos that follows. In this day and age, we are all dependent upon our phones. I just happened to think that the Galaxy s3 is a great phone.

You got the wrong guy for a fight, MRU isn't a die hard Apple loyalist, he is owning/had several Android phones....
And paying some bucks for a great app to support a good developer won't ruin you.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You got the wrong guy for a fight, MRU isn't a die hard Apple loyalist, he is owning/had several Android phones....
And paying some bucks for a great app to support a good developer won't ruin you.

Don't waste your time arguing logic with the poster, let them believe whatever they want if they think it helps justify their behaviour.

If by thinking that someone who puts in hard work to produce an application deserves to be paid for their work much like a nurse, taxi driver, cleric, manager, shop assistant etc.. makes me a dreaded "iPhone user", i'd rather be labeled that, than an arrogant thief.

galaxys3

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
True, but you know as well as I do that a lot of apps out there that aren't worth the 99 cents or the eight dollars that they want for it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
True, but you know as well as I do that a lot of apps out there that aren't worth the 99 cents or the eight dollars that they want for it.

Then exercise your right to

A) not use that application

B) try it for 15 minutes with Google Play and if the application is no good - uninstall it from your device for an immediate / automated refund directly.

There is no excuse to steal from someone else.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Then exercise your right to

A) not use that application

B) try it for 15 minutes with Google Play and if the application is no good - uninstall it from your device for an immediate / automated refund directly.

There is no excuse to steal from someone else.

Agreed, the refund feature in android is a great idea to try before you buy.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I often spend a day without using it and it's quite easy when you have kids lol. I do have an iPhone yes and I had the Galaxy S3 before I upgraded so can agree its a great phone. I didn't use either as paperweights though, is that what you do? :)

galaxys3

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
I often spend a day without using it and it's quite easy when you have kids lol. I do have an iPhone yes and I had the Galaxy S3 before I upgraded so can agree its a great phone. I didn't use either as paperweights though, is that what you do? :)

No I don't use my phone as a paperweight, that's why use my old Blackberry for. Since you have owned both phones, what you think as a head to head match up as to how they stack up against each other? From a phone vs phone standpoint, the only app that iPhone has that I would even be interested in is FaceTime. Another thing that would bother me about the iPhone, is not being able to take the battery out, whether it be for a soft reset or to replace it. :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
S3 has more abilities, simples, but not because it's Samsung, but because it's Android ;)

----------

Well, if it's a God awful freemium app then at least he is stealing from them, rather than the usual they stealing from him. If you know what I mean?

But I wouldn't worry, if you keep getting apps from dodgy sites you will eventually get a virus or malware infection.

Ooops, sorry I just saw how old this thread is. Should have ignored it.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No I don't use my phone as a paperweight, that's why use my old Blackberry for. Since you have owned both phones, what you think as a head to head match up as to how they stack up against each other? From a phone vs phone standpoint, the only app that iPhone has that I would even be interested in is FaceTime. Another thing that would bother me about the iPhone, is not being able to take the battery out, whether it be for a soft reset or to replace it. :)
I thought they were both very good phones but the iPhone was better suited to my needs. I had stability problems at times with the S3 and it became quite laggy. I couldn't be bothered messing around with the software either. Most of my family and friends are on iOS so it seemed to be a sensible thing to do. I use Facetime a lot and iMessage is useful between iPhone and iPad. Since we've had a little girl I've found Photostream to be very handy for sharing pictures between relatives and this allows a social media feel, but kept private between who you want. I also like the App Store on iOS and feel it offers better quality apps that are suited to the phone rather than apps that struggle between different devices.

There were just too many aspects of iOS that I've found more useful to my needs and in the 18 months I've had the iPhone, its been more reliable than my previous HTC's and Samsung's. A lot has changed in this time though and can't really comment how they compare right now. I am happy with the iPhone though and it will be my next upgrade too :)

galaxys3

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Thanks for the response and of course the input. About 50 percent of my friends and family have the iPhone, it is a viable option. In a previous post I had mentioned possibly not switching up or upgrading to the s5 when it comes out. I have read both good and bad about the s5, but with all the problems the s4 had, hopefully they put in some solid wrenchtime on it. I will wait until they are actually on the table in front of me and I go for a test drive. #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.