Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New photos taken by Instagram user orbaygumus (via ifoAppleStore’s Gary Allen) have revealed the unique exterior and interior of Apple’s first Turkish retail store in Istanbul that is set to open this Saturday, April 5.

The store, which is located in the upscale Zorlu Center Shopping Center, features a unique cubic design complete with a glass ceiling and glass sides that occupy approximately 20,000 square feet.

apple_store_turkey_exterior.jpg
Photo by orbaygumus
As previously reported, the interior of the store features a host of areas dedicated to services such as a dedicated “Family Room” floor and dual Genius Bars. Photos of the store last week revealed the structure to be hidden behind barricades, but it now appears that Apple is ready to hold its launch event that may feature Apple CEO Tim Cook and Turkish President Abdullah Gül.

Apple's Zorlu Center store is the first of several retail stores planned for Turkey, with the company looking to expand its growth in the region. Apple also met with Turkish government officials over the prospect of equipping Turkish school children with 10.6 million iPads, however that bid was eventually awarded to Turkish company Telpa.

The Apple Retail Store at the Zorlu Center is set to open at 10:00 AM this Saturday, April 5.

Update: Turkish website DonanimHaber has shared more photos of the store:

apple_turkish_store_extra_1-800x600.jpg

apple_turkish_store_extra_2-800x600.jpg

apple_turkish_store_extra_3-800x600.jpg

Article Link: New Photo Shows Striking All Glass Exterior of Apple's First Turkish Retail Store [Updated]

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Are these real photos? They look to be more like very high quality renderings to me. Having said that, it does look like another very nice Apple store.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I am disappointed in the design a bit. I have to see it for my own eyes first to make a decisive comment though. I am disappointed that the entrance is not from the cube, it's just a design element without the Apple logo, it is just meant for lights entrance.

Also I don't like that mall, ceilings are too low and you feel trapped inside it's not spacious. Apple Store's entrance being inside means that feeling will continue. I also hoped for that entrance to be a glass dome, a reference to Istanbul's skyline full of mosques.

It looks average and didn't feel special nor unique to me from the photos. But as I said, I'll decide when I see it at the opening.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's so glossy and reflective that I'm having trouble actually seeing it. I thought Apple was working on anti-glare glass? ;)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Wow. When I saw the photos of the construction, I said half-jokingly that it looked like there was going to be a moat around the cube. And as it turns out, there is!

It looks like the cube is constructed of single sheets of glass; I can't see any seams.

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
HVAC nightmare....It's really cool, but the energy efficiency when it's hot has to be terrible.

edit: I thought the whole store was on the top level at first. Nevermind.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
It has an Apple logo on the top:

Just so that I can understand the design, the picture above is simply he roof jetting above in the courtyard over what lies below I.e. The store itself etc. on lower level and not two separate sites, correct?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So, just what store around that location have as good or much better design?

----------

You're all showing your age. I too am getting old.

It's not about comparing, its about the design culture of Apple. The glass building has been done before. It isn't that much different then the one on 5th Ave in NYC. I feel like every landmark location should offer something unique. Apple has created better looking stores internationally elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.