Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Streaming music service Spotify today updated its app for iOS, bringing a major user interface redesign that emphasizes album arts with a darker theme, along with the addition of newer fonts and icons. The app’s new look is meant be in line with the design of the desktop and web versions of Spotify, which marks the first time the service has seen a visual overhaul since it first launched in 2008.

Speaking to The Next Web, Spotify’s Director of Product Development Michelle Kadir said the following about the service’s new look on iOS and other platforms:
We thought it was time for us to make a change... What we felt the past year is that we've kept innovating -- we've shipped a lot of new features, we've launched in new markets, and we've also shipped on many new platforms. But what we haven't done is to take a step back and just redo the design so that we feel like it's new, it's fresh -- but also so that it really works across all platforms.
spotify_update_april_2014-800x469.jpg
In addition to an overhauled user interface, the app also now includes a revamped Playlists section that allows users to save and organize music in a variety of ways, along with an updated Browse feature that contains enhanced smart playlist functionality and improved context-aware suggestions.

Spotify launched its free streaming tier for iOS devices last December, and integrated its Browse playlist curation feature last August as it has attempted to keep up with the likes of rival music streaming services such as Pandora and iTunes Radio. A report from Edison Research last month noted that Spotify was the fourth most popular service in the United States, making up for 6% of all listeners behind Pandora, iHeartRadio, and iTunes Radio.

Spotify is a free download for iOS devices and can be downloaded through App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Spotify for iOS Updated with Redesign, Revamped Browse and Playlist Features

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Its ok! That shuffle play button placement is horrible though. And I bet many would agree with me!

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Its ok! That shuffle play button placement is horrible though. And I bet many would agree with me!
I do not. I use Spotify to listen to music rather than searching what I want to listen. I like the idea that you can play random music any time you want.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
since when was there a redesign released for the mac? I havent gotten any new updates...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I agree. Once you start scrolling through a playlist the shuffle button half covers whatever song is at the top. I hope they fix that.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Is Spotify still in business? I'm seriously surprised they have any customers left since the launch of iTunes Radio rendered the Spotify service useless.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Much better, but where is the iPad version? That's the version I use the most

Is Spotify still in business? I'm seriously surprised they have any customers left since the launch of iTunes Radio rendered the Spotify service useless.

I'm going to assume this is a terrible attempt at sarcasm

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I'm going to assume this is a terrible attempt at sarcasm

No. I used Spotify/Rdio quite regularly until the launch of iTunes Radio. I haven't used it once since. And I get iTunes Radio for free as part of my Match subscription. It's an insanely great deal that Spotify doesn't come close to matching. I think these services are doomed.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

Did a double take. Glanced at the user name. Had guessed correctly. ;)

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Have they added the ability to save/organize music by artist yet? I can't believe this has been missing from the service all along, which is the main reason I switched to Rhapsody even though I like Spotify better overall.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
Have they added the ability to save/organize music by artist yet? I can't believe this has been missing from the service all along, which is the main reason I switched to Rhapsody even though I like Spotify better overall.

They have added/are adding a "your music" section which is supposed to be much better than just having a massive list of playlists. I haven't seen this feature on the app yet so don't know if its still on its way or it needs to be kicked off on the desktop app.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

two completely different services. iTunes Radio never ever plays what I want while i got the whole music catalogue at my disposal with Spotify.

---

and yeo that Shuffle button is horrible, especially in german. the writing barely fits inside

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
and yet STILL you can't arrange playlists so last added is at the top. How many years Spotify? Its RIDICULOUS. Even the OSX app refuses to remember you want last added/newest tracks at the top.

----------

No. I used Spotify/Rdio quite regularly until the launch of iTunes Radio. I haven't used it once since. And I get iTunes Radio for free as part of my Match subscription. It's an insanely great deal that Spotify doesn't come close to matching. I think these services are doomed.

I'm not sure you're longed for this world...

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
and yet STILL you can't arrange playlists so last added is at the top. How many years Spotify? Its RIDICULOUS. Even the OSX app refuses to remember you want last added/newest tracks at the top.

----------

I'm not sure you're longed for this world...

Any tracks I add or star to playlists are at the top, and stay that way, arranged by date. Just click the date/added time, in the column of your playlist?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Why is the playlists portion of the app still the old version? It's the old ugly color and design while the rest of the app is the new sleek black

It's like they forgot to update a portion of the app

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
two completely different services. iTunes Radio never ever plays what I want while i got the whole music catalogue at my disposal with Spotify.

I use the iTunes store for my collection and iTunes Radio for discovery. It's the perfect combination IMO. Why rent music that can disappear from your playlists/library at any time when the publisher pulls the tracks from the service? It happens all the time on these subscription services. It makes renting your music totally unedifying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.