Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fantastical, the popular iPhone and Mac calendar app, is coming to the iPad. Flexibits has upsized its Fantastical 2 iPhone app, but company co-founder Michael Simmons says they didn't just take the iPhone app and make all the bits bigger.

"The biggest feature is the user interface," he explained to MacRumors, saying that the development team didn't feel a need to develop new features simply because they had more screen real estate. "You don't want to get into the business of coming up with useless iPad features just for the sake of having iPad-only features."

fantasticaldayticker.png
Fantastical 2 for iPad has the same iOS 7-inspired look that the iPhone version has, and a very similar feature set as well. It has an integrated calendar and reminders list, a reworked calendar parser and more. The parser is the most unique feature about Fantastical. Instead of entering in a number of text-boxes and switches in a time-consuming process for each event or reminder, Fantastical users simply write in plain english: "Juli Clover's birthday party on April 17th at 4PM Pacific at Chuck E Cheese" or "remind me to pick up milk when I leave work".

The app then takes that text and sets all the proper functions in the calendar, significantly faster than trying to enter all that information into a traditional calendar app. The app is aware of things like time zones, and the parser is very good at setting up repeating events with odd cycles like "every third week", something that the standard iOS calendar can't always deal with. It also has an in-app map view if locations are entered, and users can send that address to Apple or Google's Mapping apps.

Fantastical 2 automatically connects to calendars and reminder lists already set up in the iPad's Settings app. Users can manually hide unused calendars or lists within the app as necessary.

fantastical.png
Building on the award-winning app, Fantastical 2 for iPhone, Fantastical 2 for iPad takes advantage of the iPad's roomier display. New in Fantastical 2 for iPad is the Fantastical Dashboard, a fast and easy way to easily manage your schedule in one place. Users can toggle between Fantastical's DayTicker, half-screen week view, and full-screen week view. Also visible is Fantastical's familiar event and reminders list, along with a calendar.
Fantastical 2 for iPad is an entirely separate app from Fantastical 2 for iPhone, meaning customers with both devices will need to buy both apps. Flexibits told us that it is working on a significant upgrade for Fantastical for Mac that will add many of the improvements from the iPhone and iPad apps, but didn't have any more information to share on availability or price.

Fantastical 2 for iPad is available for $9.99 on the App Store for a limited time. Normal price will be $14.99. [Direct Link]

Fantastical 2 for iPhone is available for $4.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Fantastical for Mac is available for $19.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Calendar Replacement Fantastical Comes to iPad

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I find the iOS 7 design of Fantastical one of the most unappealing redesigns I've seen.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I find the iOS 7 design of Fantastical one of the most unappealing redesigns I've seen.

I agree. Fantastical is one of my most used apps on iPhone and Mac, it is brilliantly implemented and quite easily the best calendar app by far in my opinion.

Great to see it has come to iPad, off to grab a copy now.

**EDIT** Sorry misread your post, thought you said most appealing! Everyone to their own I guess. You know what they say...'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'!

Last edited:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Replacing the stock calendar app on all iOS & OS X devices: $39,97

This is true and it does seem expensive but the quality of the app is amazing and quite frankly once you use it you'll never look back....at least I didn't! I'm quite happy to spend that sort of money for three devices if the quality is good and as mentioned previously I don't think there is anything that can touch it right now.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

I mentioned this when they updated the iPhone version(and got attacked by the macrumors fantastical fan club). If they intend to update their apps every year, then they are basically asking for about 40 bucks a year. Somewhat overpriced in my opinion.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I think Apple's calendar solution is 100% perfect already. I can't believe people are spending $40 to replace what Apple offers with a different product on all their devices.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I think Apple's calendar solution is 100% perfect already. I can't believe people are spending $40 to replace what Apple offers with a different product on all their devices.

That's interesting because I think exactly the opposite. In fact I was a fan of the Apple Calendar on all my devices until the iOS 7 changes and now I can't stand it, I think it's too difficult to understand what's happening in my diary and the very reason I tried Fantastical as a replacement.

Overall I like iOS 7, it's just the calendar I can't work with.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Jeez!

Calendar apps to work across all my devices for $40? Calendar apps aren't worth $40. I use the iPhone app as my main, but I'm getting really tired of the price gouging by these developers.

I like all my apps to be the same across the devices (Wunderlist, Evernote for example). I was really hoping the iPad app would have been a universal app, but looks like I'll be looking for a new calendar setup. I never liked Fantastical's app icon anyway.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
$10 for a calendar app on the iPad? I was literally running to my iPad to buy this app because my girlfriend loved the iPhone app I bought her. $10 ($15 after sale) is extreme. Just...no. $5.99 and under, then I'll buy it.

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Jeez!

Calendar apps to work across all my devices for $40? Calendar apps aren't worth $40. I use the iPhone app as my main, but I'm getting really tired of the price gouging by these developers.

Not everyone uses calendar apps in the same way. For me 40 bucks are well worth spending.

I really hope the Mac app is up next: its design looks a little bit dated and misses features such as the day ticker.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I actually like the default calendar on Mavericks and the iPad on iOS 7. However, the iOS 7 calendar on the iPhone is quite horrible, thus the reason I went with Fantastical. I think I will stick with the stock calendar on the iPad for now.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Not everyone uses calendar apps in the same way. For me 40 bucks are well worth spending.

I really hope the Mac app is up next: its design looks a little bit dated and misses features such as the day ticker.

And that's exactly my main problem with Fantastical and paying them $40. All the products look different and are at different stages. If I'm paying that much money, I expect all the apps to be kept up to date with the same features released at the same time. We FINALLY get the iPad app, but it was features not seen in the iPhone app. The Mac app needs a serious update.

The apps on iOS are a mess and all over the place. Hence why I have a hard time wanting to pay them.

OVERPRICED.

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
well, the best thing about Fantastical is that being built on top of the system calendars, you can opt-in, opt-out, and opt-in partially at your will.

I have been introduced to Fantastical OS X through a software bundle, and I loved it. When Fantastical and Fantastical 2 came out for iphone, they were totally worth the price. I just find so much effortless to glance my appointments through it and occasionally add a new one on my phone.

Fantastical for iPad at ten bucks... I don't know. The thing is, I mostly manage my calendar on my Macs, and check it on the move on my phone. I just don't use my iPad for calendars. And if I want to do it for some reason, I can always use the built-in app. It's not ideal, but hey, it works.

For these reasons, I think I will skip. I don't think I am being cheap, just rational - I would buy an improved OS X Fantastical at $19.99 in a heartbeat.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
well, the best thing about Fantastical is that being built on top of the system calendars, you can opt-in, opt-out, and opt-in partially at your will.

I have been introduced to Fantastical OS X through a software bundle, and I loved it. When Fantastical and Fantastical 2 came out for iphone, they were totally worth the price. I just find so much effortless to glance my appointments through it and occasionally add a new one on my phone.

Fantastical for iPad at ten bucks... I don't know. The thing is, I mostly manage my calendar on my Macs, and check it on the move on my phone. I just don't use my iPad for calendars. And if I want to do it for some reason, I can always use the built-in app. It's not ideal, but hey, it works.

For these reason, I think I will skip. I don't think I am being cheap, just rational - I would buy an improved OS X Fantastical at $19.99 in a heartbeat.

Me too. I don't use my iPad for much other than streaming media consumption or Kindle book reading and some web browsing.

I don't use it much for productivity type stuff like Calendars or iWork/Office. I wonder why I even have an iPad sometimes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I disagree. I wish Apple would acquire this app/developers and make it the default calendar app on iPhone.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
$10 for a calendar app on the iPad? I was literally running to my iPad to buy this app because my girlfriend loved the iPhone app I bought her. $10 ($15 after sale) is extreme. Just...no. $5.99 and under, then I'll buy it.

So your difference between an 'extreme no' and a 'yes' is $4…? Why not just get her the app, and then ask her to pick you up a coffee on the way home. :rolleyes:

Substance

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Bloomington, Illinois, USA

It wasn't that long ago that any piece of productivity software for Mac or PC cost at least that much. That said times have changed...

When Fantastical first came out for the Mac a few years, iCal was in bad need of a reboot and Fantastical filled the gap nicely. When the iPhone app came it was a big improvement over the default iOS calendar app. However now things have change, Apple has significantly revamped their calendar apps across both Mac and iOS and while I haven't used them that much, they seem much improved.

I like Fantastical 2 but don't believe it's a huge step forward from the previous version, and have grown tired of the big contrast between the white calendar background and the black events background (please make the latter gray already). I've been eagerly awaiting Fantastical 2 for the iPad but for $10, I'm strongly considering sitting this one out. At the very least, I need to honestly consider if the iPad calendar is good enough that I don't need Fantastical anymore.

And that's exactly my main problem with Fantastical and paying them $40. All the products look different and are at different stages. If I'm paying that much money, I expect all the apps to be kept up to date with the same features released at the same time. We FINALLY get the iPad app, but it was features not seen in the iPhone app. The Mac app needs a serious update.

True, true, true. This is one of the worst things an app developer can do, especially if your charging for separate iPhone/iPad apps and forcing rebuys of the iOS apps on every major version change.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
So, it's not a universal app. you have to buy it for both devices and every year they're going to update it and charge for it as a new app rather than updating the one you already own. Looks great, but no thanks.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Not really sure why this is worth $3 (based on sale price) or $7 more than, say, Calendars 5, which is basically the same w/ similar interface BUT is iOS universal, not just iPad only.

Understood, the iPhone only version of Fantastical is $2 less than Calendars 5, so if one only has an iPhone it's a better deal BUT this app featured here is an iPad only version, so not the subject here.

Bottom line is the iPad version is $3 or $7 more expensive than Calandars 5 and Fantastical's devs haven't really shown me why its the more effecient of the two & worth the extra $.

Either the devs are arrogant or their development costs are too high. Either way they need to reign one or the other in.

----------

I disagree. I wish Apple would acquire this app/developers and make it the default calendar app on iPhone.

C'mon. There are many calendar apps with similar look and features. Apple doesn't need to buy anyone out to make a decent calendar. In fact, other than the ugly skeuomorphic skin, the iOS 6 calendar was very useable IMHO. I was only forced to Calendars 5 because iOS 7 calendar jumped the rails. Apple's brain trust can do better if they try. The iOS 7 calendar is just laziness -- perhaps to get people to spend money on calendar apps. HA!

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
I think it is a good thing for Flexibits not being too flexible on their app pricing. In a world were the market brings developers to underprice their job, they make a statement and I am with them. I would buy the app if I thought I would actively use it.
Speaking of this, I think I have rationalized why I don't use calendar apps on tablets. Fantastical itself has shown that you can have a full-fledged calendar app in a tiny window on you computer screen, multi-tasking with your work. Looking at your calendar on the small screen of your phone is something similar: you check it with a glance while you multi-task with the stuff you have to do in your life. Fantastical for iPad looks like their only version that asks for your full attention.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Some of my complaints about the iOS 7 calendar app have been fixed in the newest version, but you still can't (for example) create 3 alerts for an event. And linking events to contacts to map bookmarks is still much harder than it should be on an iOS device.

OTOH, if people like the apps that ship with iOS then they don't need to spend money on this. I do agree that $9.99 (or $14.99!) is a bit steep.

I think it is a good thing for Flexibits not being too flexible on their app pricing. In a world were the market brings developers to underprice their job, they make a statement and I am with them. I would buy the app if I thought I would actively use it.

Will they sell enough at $9.99 or $14.99 to overcome the lost sales they might have gotten at, say $5.99? That's always the marketing problem. Pricing high enough to get paid for your good work without being priced so high that people will use something else. Especially since one of the "something else" options is built in to every iPad. :shrug:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
The whole issue with the 'App Pricing Model' was that from the start it was a race to the bottom by developers and essentially they shot themselves hard in the foot by doing so.

I'm an App Developer myself and I'm not totally convinced people realise exactly what goes into developing an app, it's incredibly time consuming and hard work, especially when you take a look at something like Fantastical. It may seem pretty straight forward to do a calendar app but I can assure you that although it make look easy it certainly isn't.

People's expectations on what they will pay for software now is completely bonkers! Most people complain if they have to spend more than $5 on that's essentially ridiculous for the amount of time spend on developing it...presuming it's a decent app of course.

I appreciate we are in a different phase now and software is becoming cheaper by the day but I'm still yet to figure out how the developer can make a sensible return on their investment....it will be interesting to see how it pans out but at the moment it's perfect for the consumer but awful for the developers.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The whole issue with the 'App Pricing Model' was that from the start it was a race to the bottom by developers and essentially they shot themselves hard in the foot by doing so.

I'm an App Developer myself and I'm not totally convinced people realise exactly what goes into developing an app, it's incredibly time consuming and hard work, especially when you take a look at something like Fantastical. It may seem pretty straight forward to do a calendar app but I can assure you that although it make look easy it certainly isn't.

People's expectations on what they will pay for software now is completely bonkers! Most people complain if they have to spend more than $5 on that's essentially ridiculous for the amount of time spend on developing it...presuming it's a decent app of course.

I appreciate we are in a different phase now and software is becoming cheaper by the day but I'm still yet to figure out how the developer can make a sensible return on their investment....it will be interesting to see how it pans out but at the moment it's perfect for the consumer but awful for the developers.

That's not the consumer's fault. Developers (and Apple) should have priced their goods and services properly from the get go. Any business student will tell you it's VERY hard to raise your prices after customers get used to a certain price point.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
Happy to pay for quality..

.. and Fantastical is definitely quality. Like others who have posted here I got the Mac version in a bundle and used it a fair bit. What clinched it for me was when it hit the iPhone - the first version was so easy to use that it became the default. Fantastical 2 was a real shift up in quality and now we have the same attention to detail on the iPad. So far I like it - it makes good use of the iPad and doesn't try to mimic the iPhone.

To be honest if they announced a 'pay again' version for the Mac I would be on it immediately. Developers have to make a living - all they have to do to justify it is make something awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.