Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung and Apple's second patent trial started earlier this week with jury selection and opening arguments by both Apple and Samsung. Phil Schiller also took the stand as Apple's first witness in the trial, which started in earnest on Tuesday.

google-apple-jobs-holy-war.jpg
Among the volume of internal documents provided in the case, The Wall Street Journal highlights emails from Apple founder Steve Jobs that reveal his commitment to beating Android, calling the competition a "Holy War" with Google.

Jobs outlined this "battle" in an October 2010 email to 100 employees prior to the company's annual retreat. Jobs said in the email that "Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm for too long (innovator's dilemma)" and notes that "Google and Microsoft are further along on the technology, but haven't quite figured it out yet." This characterization is favorable to Samsung as the company attempts to involve Google and Android in the patent infringement case.

As part of its opening statement in the case, Samsung outlined its plans to share internal Apple documents that suggest Apple was taken aback by Samsung's edgy marketing campaign that characterized the company's Galaxy devices as "the next big thing." (via The Verge)
"We will show you internal Apple documents, documents that haven't been made public before, and showed how Apple was really concerned about competition from Android, and in particular Samsung," John Quinn of law firm Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, which is representing Samsung in the trial, told an eight-person jury. "This new, edgy marketing strategy ... it drove Apple crazy."
Following opening arguments by Apple and Samsung, Apple executive Phil Schiller testified in court on behalf on Apple, discussing, as he did in the first trial, the risks the company took as it successfully released both the iPhone and iPad before its competitors, reports Computerworld.
"We wondered what could come after the iPod," Schiller said. "We wanted to try and invent that future rather than let it happen to us."
Schiller also reminded jurors that Apple wasn't always the leader in the mobile market and had a long learning curve to get where it is now.
"Apple really only had two products at the time: the Mac and iPod," he said, reminding jurors of a time before Apple was the phone and tablet powerhouse it is today. "We hadn't made a phone. We didn't know about radios and antennas and all the things that make up a phone."
Schiller remained on the stand for over two hours before his testimony ended for the day. Schiller is expected to return on Friday, with Samsung continuing to question the Apple executive when the trial resumes.

Article Link: Second Apple-Samsung Patent Trial Begins with Focus on Apple's 'Holy War', Advertising Envy, and Phil Schiller

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just wish these would end, the only winners appear to be the lawyers

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Frankly, I'd be much more indulged to see Jony Ive and Phil Schiller battling it out with whichever committee at Samsung develops their products instead of this Judge Judy-esque soap opera.

They stole it, they shipped it, and users already upgraded from it to something else. Twice.

Last edited:

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
How did shameSung get access to Apple internal documents and vice versa? There are people working in the shadow?:confused:

rajat8676

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
What's the point in having long legal battles when it's very much apparent that Samsung blatantly copied Apple. Indict Samsung & be done with it.

fasterthanfiber

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Tie products together to keep customers in our ecosystem? If a company can't keep customers in through innovation and value proposition, let's tie them into our products. Bad business and not the Apple I know.

I think if we could migrate iTunes and other purchases easily to another device Apple base wound drop considerably - then again I think other OS do this too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I just wish these would end, the only winners appear to be the lawyers

Yep. Unfortunately we have Steve Jobs to thank for this, along with the poaching and ebooks crap. These are the headaches he left Apple with.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
Yep. Unfortunately we have Steve Jobs to thank for this, along with the poaching and ebooks crap. These are the headaches he left Apple with.

They aren't such huge headaches. They'll all be sorted out one way or another. What's a few billion to Apple these days?

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
"Tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem" :eek::eek:

Is no one disturbed by that?? :confused:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Tie products together to keep customers in our ecosystem? If a company can't keep customers in through innovation and value proposition, let's tie them into our products. Bad business and not the Apple I know.

I think if we could migrate iTunes and other purchases easily to another device Apple base wound drop considerably - then again I think other OS do this too.

What company doesn't try to lock people into its ecosystem? You don't think Google and Microsoft do the same, and Samsung would if it could?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

You have to be kidding Apple has been doing this for years by having their own closed systems that they don't license to anyone else. You build an ecosystem like this primarily to make your customers dependent. Otherwise you would use totally open interoperable solutions that allowed your customers to use whatever services provider they want. They all do this to varying degrees.

Kev.LoveMac

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
This will become interesting as a Movie. Maybe one day there will be one to memorize the days we are living in right now.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
That snippet is a double edged sword. Things like that although show what work and ideas were in whjat place also make the author look like a fanatic. This makes them get taken less seriously.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Unfortunately for some - things like Apple desiring to lock people into their ecosystem and other "revelations" from these documents and proceedings might be an eye opener. Anyone with any business sense can attest that it's nothing surprising.

Apple is a company. Like many companies. And is affected by the marketplace and responds as well. They might do it differently than the next or on some levels and not others. But they aren't immune.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"Tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem" :eek::eek:

Is no one disturbed by that?? :confused:

No. What company doesn't want to lock customers into their ecosystem? You think Google, Microsoft, Amazon, FB etc. think any differently?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.