Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming USB 3.1 specification, an update to USB 3.0 that provides a throughput of up to 10 Gbit/s, also includes a new "Type C" connector, which is reversible much like Apple's Lightning cable.

Announced in December [PDF], the reversible design was said to be smaller in size, similar to existing Micro USB plugs. While no cables are available yet, the USB Implementers Forum (via CNET) has released renderings showing what the cable might look like.

usbtypec1.jpg
The reversible design, which looks a lot like a Lightning cable, aims to replace USB and Micro USB with one cable that can be used from either direction. The USB prong is 8.3 x 2.5mm, which is much smaller than standard USB ports but larger than Micro USB.

usbtypec2.jpg
At the current point in time, the cable's design has yet to be finalized, which means a final product could look somewhat different. The specification is expected to be finished in July of 2014.

Article Link: Upcoming Reversible USB Cable Depicted in New Renderings

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Cool that there's something universal coming. The Lightening connector seems way better though.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
A far smaller, Lightening size USB port will mean great things for products. Particularly laptops - doing away with ethernet ports (already done) and slimming down USB ports will mean crazy thin laptops.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Competition is good

As much as people rail on Apple for using a non-standard port and cable, it took Apple to show everyone what we've been missing all along. And soon we will all benefit with better USB cables.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I dont like new standards because all my current stuff will no longer be compatible with the new equipment; but I will admit, the current USB is pretty big for this day and age.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
As much as people rail on Apple for using a non-standard port and cable, it took Apple to show everyone what we've been missing all along. And soon we will all benefit with better USB cables.

Apple is the catalyst of change (or guenie pig) in the tech industry. Most companies don't have the gut to make drastic changes unless Apple does it first. This is not all the times, but most of the time.

This is why I'm not a fan of those short sighted exec sitting in their corner office blocking tech progression.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Ugh. So now Apple either has to switch from Lightning to the Type C connector, or make cables that are Type C on one end and Lightning on the other. The latter will be quite confusing, if Lightning and Type C look as similar as those renderings suggest.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Ugh. So now Apple either has to switch from Lightning to the Type C connector, or make cables that are Type C on one end and Lightning on the other. The latter will be quite confusing, if Lightning and Type C look as similar as those renderings suggest.

My sight may not be what it used to be, but I think the USB connectors both are more rectangular compared to the lightning connector. but when they start getting small, it could still be easy to confuse.

What would be great is if Apple could make the ports multi purpose for lightning and USB. I would love 4 combo ports...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Great. So instead of just flipping a USB plug over so it fits, now I'll have to buy & carry adaptors because all my existing devices have traditional USB ports?

Hmmm. By the time this is standard, there'll be a new "universal standard" in the pipeline to replace it. Or we'll have gone all-wireless.

:p

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Ok, I'm confused... yes, the Lightning connector is reversible, but well, the only things that really use it are iDevices, and the speeds (so far as I've read) are more comparable with USB 2.0, not even Gbps...

So aside from the fact it's reversible, what's so great about the lightning connector?

And, yes, Apple got there first, but this kind of seems like one of those inevitable things, not something the USB folks are doing to "copy" Apple.

----------

My sight may not be what it used to be, but I think the USB connectors both are more rectangular compared to the lightning connector. but when they start getting small, it could still be easy to confuse.

Nah, if the renderings are accurate, it won't be. Like other USB cables, this will have an end with a hole in it. The lightning connector is flat with connector plates on the outside of it. Putting your finger on the end of both should allow anyone to tell the difference.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
About time!!! I have always hated how it seems that I can never plug a usb cable in on the first try.
But if Apple already has lightning why not lower the licensing fee so that it could become standard?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It would be nice if Apple adopted this type of cable in place of a proprietary one.

Maybe if those in charge of the usb spec would get their act together, Apple wouldn't have to create proprietary connectors. I'll enjoy my lightning connector for 2-3+ years before you get usb 3.1 that is larger than micro usb.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
About time!!! I have always hated how it seems that I can never plug a usb cable in on the first try.
But if Apple already has lightning why not lower the licensing fee so that it could become standard?

The cable might be reversible but the port doesn't appear to be. Who cares if we can use either end to plug in if it's still upside down on the first attempt? Hopefully the final spec addresses this

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
What Pc manufacturer would replace their Type A USB 3.1 port for Type C? Why not just make type A reversible?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
A far smaller, Lightening size USB port will mean great things for products. Particularly laptops - doing away with ethernet ports (already done) and slimming down USB ports will mean crazy thin laptops.

I never quite figured out how to plug my iPad Air in in the dark.

You'd think the reversible cable would have made it easier...

/firstworldproblems

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Why on God's Green Earth did it take this long (and still hasn't been released in the wild)?

usbtypec2.jpg

Edit: Note that this is opposite of the Lightning connector, where the male connector sits inside the socket. That design will mean a lot of sockets inside expensive electronics will what breaks, instead of the connector on a cheap cable. These USB guys really couldn't be more daft...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It would be nice if Apple adopted this type of cable in place of a proprietary one.

Probably won't happen. The lightning connector passes audio (digital) and video, if Apple didn't care about that they already could have gone with micro USB.

In apple's case they don't just care about cables, there are also many accessories like docks and boom boxes. I assume the lightning design was motivated more by the accessory market and that if it was only for cables it would have been different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.