Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonraker

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
France
Macbook Pro 15" (late2013) - Confirmation Please

If anyone has a MacBook Pro 15 inch (late 2013) with the Intel Iris Pro graphics card (Not the Nvidia option, or can run it with Iris pro only) and has played the launch version on Mac ESO, can they post here please to confirm.

I'm trying to confirm that the graphics issue was resolved on these cards.

Thanks.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I enjoyed my time with ESO more than I enjoyed Skyrim. Looking foward to the eventual loss of the sub fee.

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
ESO runs fine on my new 15" Macbook Pro late 2013 with dedicated Nvidia-Graphics under Mac-Os.
I use middle graphic-settings on my external Display with 2560x1600.
To keep it over 30 frames, i have to reduce the resolution a little bit.
For me it's okay. No need to use Bootcamp.

Moonraker

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
France
ESO runs fine on my new 15" Macbook Pro late 2013 with dedicated Nvidia-Graphics under Mac-Os.
I use middle graphic-settings on my external Display with 2560x1600.
To keep it over 30 frames, i have to reduce the resolution a little bit.
For me it's okay. No need to use Bootcamp.
Good to hear.

Did you have any issues with the external Display?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
There is a subscription that is being dropped? Is the game still in beta?
Impressions? Thanks!

The game normally costs $15/month on top of the box cost at the moment. I'm just being hopeful that they will drop the subscription within a few months.

ESO launched for pre-orderers already.

Felt ESO was a quality MMO but it feels more like WoW than an Elder Scrolls title. Decent quests but none as interesting as the best of the best in Oblivion from my beta experience. It's not as innovative as I'd expect it to be but it's a serviceable, seemingly deep MMO. I just prefer the direction in ESO and fluid combat compared to playing Skyrim.

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
Having fun so far. I've been taking the casual route. Play only a couple hours a night. I actually read all the quests and read all the notes etc that you can pick up. I manage 4-5 quests a night and I'm at level 6 now.

I haven't done any grouping and honestly for now I intend to stay solo. After 14+ years in Everquest playing in a top raid guild I'm rather looking for a different experience :)

The game is running great on my MacPro under OSX.

Moonraker

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
France
Having fun so far. I've been taking the casual route. Play only a couple hours a night. I actually read all the quests and read all the notes etc that you can pick up. I manage 4-5 quests a night and I'm at level 6 now.

I haven't done any grouping and honestly for now I intend to stay solo. After 14+ years in Everquest playing in a top raid guild I'm rather looking for a different experience :)

I'm only about Level 6 myself as I've been on ESO Mac TS forum mostly this week. But I don't mind. There is such an urge to rush especially with lots around it's nice to just jump on and take my time unlike the days or zerg to get into Raids with my guild ASAP ;)

I do look forward to grouping and guild stuff at end game but this game is much more solo orientated for questing for me.

PersonallyI'm still very happy with how it's turning out and have no qualms to pay a sub especially as I get a discount over multiple months and would much prefer this model with good content added then it slimmed down for F2P.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011

Soon (about 4-5 levels from now) you will have to group, though, if you've taken the initial quest line of Fighter's guild.

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly

Boy do I miss the old EQ days. I stopped when the max level was 75. I started playing in 1999 and enjoyed every bit of it. Some of my best memories ever were from that game. Eventually became a GM, which was a load of fun before they changed the things we could do. Was lots of fun creating uber mobs with über gear and surprising random zones with invasions. People were surely happy with the drops they would get. They weren't happy about the ninja looting though lol

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
Soon (about 4-5 levels from now) you will have to group, though, if you've taken the initial quest line of Fighter's guild.

Probably... We'll see.

if so I'll look for other MacRumors people!

I go by: Trevize in ESO. That was my name in Everquest as well.. Once upon a time the Guild Leader of Cats in Hats. Now I'm just a lowly Enchanter in Machin Shin.

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
Probably... We'll see.

if so I'll look for other MacRumors people!

I go by: Trevize in ESO. That was my name in Everquest as well.. Once upon a time the Guild Leader of Cats in Hats. Now I'm just a lowly Enchanter in Machin Shin.

Machin Shin is still around? What servers were you on? My original server was Xegony and my main was a bard named Rhythmical Synsations. I was guilded in Dark Templars and Draco Invictus. My first ever guild was Legion of Fyre. I also played a wizard named Aaladdan.

In EOS my character name is Kildayen.

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
Machin Shin is still around? What servers were you on? My original server was Xegony and my main was a bard named Rhythmical Synsations. I was guilded in Dark Templars and Draco Invictus. My first ever guild was Legion of Fyre. I also played a wizard named Aaladdan.

In EOS my character name is Kildayen.

Hell ya Machin Shin is still around! We're still on Xegony and ranked #2 server wide. But honestly we're #1 cause seriously we beat the stuff faster then anybody else and the only difference is that the #1 guild is in a more favorable time zone... We also only raid 2 days a week while the other guilds raid 5-7 days a week to complete the same content we do in 2 nights. :)

Anyway this is about ESO. I made a new charactor last night named Trevise not to be overly confused with Trevize :) I wanted to be more of a magic/caster type so I made a Dark Elf Sorcerer.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
Does ESO have a day night cycle? Most of the gameplay videos I've seen appear dark. Thanks!
I watched a few people on Twitch last night, and it was daylight. Other videos from before were dark, like you say. So I'm guessing there's a cycle of some sort in there.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I watched a few people on Twitch last night, and it was daylight. Other videos from before were dark, like you say. So I'm guessing there's a cycle of some sort in there.

Yes there is a full day and night cycle going!
Also weather.
It actually pretty cool, makes the game feel more immersive!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm considering giving it a shot, however the reviews I've read are giving the game mixed reviews- including stiff animations and combat and an old feeling game. Keep in mind I'm a huge fan of Oblivion and Skyrim. Anyone want to post a short review, pros and cons? :) :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'm considering giving it a shot, however the reviews I've read are giving the game mixed reviews- including stiff animations and combat and an old feeling game. Keep in mind I'm a huge fan of Oblivion and Skyrim. Anyone want to post a short review, pros and cons? :) :)

Combat in Oblivion was terrible, combat is SKyrim was ok, ESO is an improvement from Skyrim.

The combat system is a bit like Guild Wars 2. You level up different skills, but can only have 6 skills on your bar (5+1 ultimate skill).

Crafting is very much like Skyrim.

I think animations are up to par, it's not a spectacle fighter, but if you enjoyed Skyrim, you'll like ESO.

The UI is lacking, very lacking in my opinion, but there are already out a lot of mods that does improve it a lot. I have already installed a floating combat text, minimal and multi quest log tracker, which all doesn't exist in game.

Sound track is very good, as all ES games are.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Combat in Oblivion was terrible, combat is SKyrim was ok, ESO is an improvement from Skyrim.

The combat system is a bit like Guild Wars 2. You level up different skills, but can only have 6 skills on your bar (5+1 ultimate skill).

Crafting is very much like Skyrim.

I think animations are up to par, it's not a spectacle fighter, but if you enjoyed Skyrim, you'll like ESO.

The UI is lacking, very lacking in my opinion, but there are already out a lot of mods that does improve it a lot. I have already installed a floating combat text, minimal and multi quest log tracker, which all doesn't exist in game.

Sound track is very good, as all ES games are.

Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.