Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Hi,

I exported cut DV files from out of the iMovie project via choosing "save as highest quality", to get the same file, but without the project stuff and without the previously cut scenes as a DV file (with the same quality as the input was).

I get a DV file, but when I open that in Quicktime or VLC it has horizontal lines. Sometimes through the whole scene, sometimes only in some area (like only in a bird that is moving its wings, or a person has a black jacket and the background is white and you see like thorns coming out of his left side).

Is this normal, because I view it in QT or VLC and one who would want to watch it would expect to export it to another format, where interlacing/progressive would be applied, before watching it from a DVD or from an USB-stick connected to a mediaplayer?

Reason behind it: I can't just export it as h.264 and store them somewhere, because the source shall be saved untouched and later exported/encoded, when needed. These are old VHS tapes from the bio-chemical library of my brother's school (he is the teacher to care for the media in his department). So I imported/saved these via a Canopus ADVC-300 in iMovie. The documentaries did not have these lines on the original tape.

Some of these were stored as iMovie3 (the one were there were 9min. clips) and some as iMovie5 and 6 projects.

Sorry, if I am not making any sense. :)

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Hi,

That is not normal. I don't use iMovie, but one of your output settings is wrong. I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't used that program in a few years and Apple frequently changes it.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Hi,

That is not normal. I don't use iMovie, but one of your output settings is wrong. I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't used that program in a few years and Apple frequently changes it.
There is nothing to set in iMovie, if one chooses "best quality".
Which version of iMovie are you using?
iMovie'05 under 10.4.11. (The projects have been saved/digitalized in iMovie'03 and iMovie'06 can't properly handle iMovie'03 files, it cuts of a few minutes from the beginning and the end.)

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I have now converted the DV file (which I before that exported from iMovie via "save as best quality") to a mp4 file and did two encodes:

a) deinterlace
b) interlace

the result was the same. The DV and the two mp4 files look the same.

See attatchment.

Attachments

• Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.