Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleGuido

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2013
The "fade issue" is still there for me (sharp drop off in recognition starting on the second day after putting in "new fingers", twice per finger) and apparently also for at least one other commenter above.

TouchID still fades for me, too, although the success rate was indeed improved after the 7.1 update. Before that update, 5s would fail to recognize my finger after only a day or two. Now the recognition accuracy holds up for a couple of weeks, before I need to retrain. And yes, I have tried all the tricks for adding multiple readings of my print, in different orientations, wet and dry, etc.

I suspect that this system just does not work well for certain people. Maybe the accuracy is lower for older users with more "tread wear" on their digits.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I also had a lot of problems with my fingerprint no longer being recognized after a few days. With 7.1, no problems at all.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Give Samsung a break, they only had a few months to copy apple this time.

LOL I was going to comment that Apple has had time to shake out the kinks and release an update so let's give Samsung a chance to do that too before we judge... but you put it so much better!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How did he turn the iphone on standby just by pressing two fingers on the screen at 3:40???

A jailbreak tweak (maybe Activator--haven't jailbroken in a while so I'm not up to speed on recent developments)--you can see the Cydia app in his dock with 5 icons (bit of a giveaway ;)).

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
My iphone 5 lock button is dead...that pinch to lock is looking so good but needs a jail break :(

OldMacUser

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The "fade issue" is still there for me (sharp drop off in recognition starting on the second day after putting in "new fingers", twice per finger) and apparently also for at least one other commenter above. I might as well have bought a 5C (if I could ignore the aesthetics).

FWIW, TouchID has worked well for *me* since IOS7.1 with only one set of fingerprints scanned.

Prior to IOS7.1, I pretty much tried all the tweaks and tips available, and recognition would be probably 50% successful, possibly less since I gave up using it after a while.

After IOS7.1, the recognition rate for TouchID with one fingerprint set is probably closer to 85% successful, and would likely be higher if I put another set of fingerprints in.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Apple sure owns fingerprint recognition. TouchID PayPal payments would likely be an iOS 8 feature anyhoo.

absolutely not, if ANYTHING Apple will use iTunes to process payments. After all, it is already linked with your credit card.

----------

Pretty clear that Apple bought the best technology for this with their acquisition of the company that made it and Samsung is having to put together a solution using scraps of what's left.

The beauty of patents :D

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
"...Apple's Touch ID faced its own problems early on, including "fade," or the increasingly erratic performance of the fingerprint sensor over time. iOS 7.1, released in March, solved the issue..."

What evidence, beyond anecdotal, is there that 7.1 solved the fade issue? Apple's release notes only stated:" Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition." Meanwhile there seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence fade is NOT solved.

The "fade issue" is still there for me (sharp drop off in recognition starting on the second day after putting in "new fingers", twice per finger) and apparently also for at least one other commenter above. I might as well have bought a 5C (if I could ignore the aesthetics).

Yes, after giving 7.1 a few weeks I'm off to the Genius Bar soon to complain.

I've been pretty vocal about the Touch ID fade issue, but 7.1 significantly improved recognition for me. I won't say it's anywhere near what Apple's marketing says I should be getting -- it still takes 3 or 4 times for it to recognize my thumb, and I have to do it straight-on -- but it's a lot better than the 0% recognition I was getting before. It's very sensitive to humidity & temperature though, and it still fails to recognize my print quite often. But it works often enough now that I usually don't resort to the passcode.

You can go to the Genius Bar, but they won't do much except have you rescan it, and if you grumble they'll replace the phone, which won't matter because this is a firmware issue, not hardware. I'd suggest saving yourself a trip, clearing the print and trying once more.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
TouchID has worked great for me since I got my iPhone 5s a month ago no problems. The only thing I have to do is remember to use. I sometimes still type my password in my default.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Hmm, that picture of the Android lockscreen looks familiar. Swipe up from the bottom right corner to get to the camera, where have I seen that before?

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
3 Comments:

1. Samsung swiping finger print annoying since it's darn near impossible with one hand? Couldn't you just do one of your fingers with one handed swipes so it has the right angle? To me swiping would be faster than holding. I don't know haven't had either phone.

2. Apple had to shrink or remove that home button already. Takes up precious screen real estate and contributes to it being too long. Samsung can get rid of there's anytime now as well but at least its thinner and doesn't affect the phone size as much.

3. If I had a jailbroken my first cydia download with be a theme app like winterboard if that still exists?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Touch ID worked great for me at first (weeks). Then I started getting fade. Then 7.1 came along and all is well. Seeing the video made me appreciate how well fingerprint ID works on the iPhone vs the Samsung phone. :D

edit: p.s. I've only needed one print. I always hold the phone with my left hand and the left thumb was the obvious choice for me. Very convenient. Pick up the phone. Press. Hold thumb over the button. Viola... Unlocked.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Pardon me, I'm just passing through to get my daily dose of lolfanboy comments. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Not being a "lolfanboy", just pointing out how Touch ID is better than Samsung's fingerprint scanner. Apple does some things better than Samsung, Samsung does some things better than Apple. I just find it funny when try to copy something and fail at it.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I'm not saying that Touch ID fade doesn't exist but I haven't had it happen too me. I also have a launch day 5s. Accuracy is a different story , my iPhone wasn't always able to read my fingerprints and when it did normally it would cause strange glitches like audio skipping or repeating. 7.1 fixed that now it's accurate all of the time. If your Touch ID has a problem you should probably take it to Apple. As for the S5 anything copied from Apple is generally illy implemented.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
Needing two hands to unlock = fail.
...when was the last time anyone use both two hands to unlock their phone ?
Not too many !
(Per half, a few little ladies do ;-)

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
TouchID still fades for me, too, although the success rate was indeed improved after the 7.1 update. Before that update, 5s would fail to recognize my finger after only a day or two. Now the recognition accuracy holds up for a couple of weeks, before I need to retrain. And yes, I have tried all the tricks for adding multiple readings of my print, in different orientations, wet and dry, etc.

I suspect that this system just does not work well for certain people. Maybe the accuracy is lower for older users with more "tread wear" on their digits.

You're probably right because my entire family of 8 has an iPhone 5S and Touch I.D has been flawless since the first time they set it up months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.