Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Fire TV is just a rush first to market type product that will fail epic style.

This argument is tired and boring now. Its the same argument for every product that comes out. Ive summarised below.

Before Apple
- The product is rushed trying to be first to market.

After Apple
- They have copied Apple.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
why? The 'n' (or even 'g') is more than fast enough for any streaming purposes, and 'n' has got all that mimo goodness. What operational benefit do you think you'd get from having 'ac'?

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 7.54.59 AM.png

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I have been saying the same about SIRI for a long time.....

Yeah, Apple fans deriding a product for poor voice control is laughable. It can't possibly be worse than Siri.

Now if Apple or Amazon could get the high accuracy voice control that Google's app has, these devices could get going....

Roniniku

Suspended
Apr 4, 2008
Japan
Yeah, my perception of Amazon is probably not the same as an American.

In Canada, Amazon.ca is nowhere as popular as Amazon.com in the US. They have a very poor product selection and prices aren't particularly good. We always get products like Kindles very late and I've yet to see a Kindle Fire in the wild, or find any person who subscribes to Amazon Prime.

But from what I understand Amazon is really big in the US, so people might buy this set-top box just because they already have an Amazon Prime subscription.

Speak for yourself there Monsieur Poutine. Kindles came out on the same day and many, many, many people use Prime in Canada, both for streaming via VPN and shipping to package pick-up shops (but not in Quebec perhaps). If you are going to speak for Canada then get your facts straight.....and be in Canada.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I'm confused as to why anyone would need one of these. There are apps for streaming stuff on everything, DVR, Blue - Ray, DVD, TV... and they mostly stream all the same stuff.

Unless, content providers are going to stop giving their Apps out to OEM and then we're going to end up with a whole bunch of little boxes under our TVs. IF that is where we're headed god help us.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah, Apple fans deriding a product for poor voice control is laughable. It can't possibly be worse than Siri.

Now if Apple or Amazon could get the high accuracy voice control that Google's app has, these devices could get going....

So if Apple has something that is not great, we're not allowed to criticize anyone else for also having something not great? I never said Apple's search is better. In fact I said Apple shouldn't release an updated ATV if they haven't figured out search yet.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
As I said days ago, there's a reason why Apple hasn't launched App Store on Apple TV: they still haven't figured out how to deliver the rich experience we demand. Fire TV is just a rush first to market type product that will fail epic style.

That's not fair to Amazon. I think we have a real competitor here and I'm glad to see it. Hopefully the gaming experience for Amazon's box drives quality gaming on the as-yet-unreleased Apple TV App Store.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm confused as to why anyone would need one of these.

Well millions of AppleTV, Roku and other streaming devices can think of a reason why they need one.

And since there are still plenty of people without one, I am pretty sure there's a market or all of these companies would just stop selling them :rolleyes:

----------

That's not fair to Amazon. I think we have a real competitor here and I'm glad to see it. Hopefully the gaming experience for Amazon's box drives quality gaming on the as-yet-unreleased Apple TV App Store.

Do not expect fairness from that poster. Ever.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This argument is tired and boring now. Its the same argument for every product that comes out. Ive summarised below.

Before Apple

After Apple

Not at all. But in this case the negative reviews back up my opinion.

I truly wish I could be more positive about this device. But I can't see any of the huge numbers of Apple TV owners buying into Fire TV. There is no compelling reason to do so.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Is the Amazon Prime selection of quality programming even worse than Netflix? I find that hard to believe, since the selection on Netflix is pretty abysmal.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Seems like they're nitpicking to me.

Oh come on. That's all this forum does is nitpick Apple when they don't get it perfect every time. This issue with Amazon's machine is legit and it should be mentioned and covered all over several sites on the internet....or did you want them to remain hush hush about Amazon's imperfect machine so it may continue to upstage the Apple TV? :p

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

There's nothing wrong with wishful thinking as long as you can separate it from the reality. Competition is good. But I just don't see the Fire TV as a serious competitor to the fully baked Apple TV experience.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Not at all. But in this case the negative reviews back up my opinion.

I truly wish I could be more positive about this device. But I can't see any of the huge numbers of Apple TV owners buying into Fire TV. There is no compelling reason to do so.

Negative reviews? Its scored higher then the Apple TV in reviews.

Why do you think this is purely aimed at Apple TV owners? You do realise how huge Amazon and their customer database is dont you?

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Due to the extreme limitations of Voice Search, browsing through Netflix -- where you'll probably spend most of your time, considering Amazon's rather limited library of quality movies for free streaming -- is, once again, manual labor.
Imagine Steve Ballmer jumping up and down a stage: „Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content“

What does it help -- if voice search perfectly understands what you are looking for -- if that just isn't there? To win the future of TV, Amazons own media store must win the content war. Otherwise its no more than another Netflix box.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
It seems that Apple thinks releasing an updated Apple TV is pointless until agreements are reached with Comcast/TWC for the device to replace cable boxes.

I must say I hate my TWC cable box interface, and the Xbox One overlay isn't the answer.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Negative reviews? Its scored higher then the Apple TV in reviews.

Why do you think this is purely aimed at Apple TV owners? You do realise how huge Amazon and their customer database is dont you?

It's not aimed purely at Apple TV owners obviously. But whenever you launch a new device, it's normal to compare it to the current market leader.

Amazon is a huge retailer but they have really only succeeded selling digital books so far. Apple is a million miles ahead of them in terms of Music, TV and Movies.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
software issues can be fixed via a free update. There's no free update for an underpowered hardware experience.

Of the issues to have, this is the more preferable.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Let's see what Apple does this year with ATV. When Cook says it's become more than a hobby then something must be cooking.

Its always the same old "Well lets see what Apple do" argument when a product better then theirs come out.

Ok, well lets see what the Fire 2 does when the comes out........

MacVsMic

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2014
New York, NY
Dave.UK Hit The Nail On The Head!

Before Apple

After Apple

It's so strange and laughable in the same how people get so upset when Apple the "Pioneers" of technology don't get a product to market first!! I own every :Apple device known to man and I'm certainly not biased or upset with this fantastic product, AMAZON HIT THE MARK!! Pay homage where it's due and stop crying like babies... Apple TV has lagged behind this growing market in more ways than I can count..

Dave is on par with this statement!

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
It's not aimed purely at Apple TV owners obviously. But whenever you launch a new device, it's normal to compare it to the current market leader.

Amazon is a huge retailer but they have really only succeeded selling digital books so far. Apple is a million miles ahead of them in terms of Music, TV and Movies.

Where do you get that the Apple TV is a market leader? Anything to back that up?

Are you forgetting the recently re-branded LoveFilm which Amazon own? Does Apple have its own streaming service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.