Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

originaliphone.jpg
Apple senior software engineer Greg Christie took the stand today in Apple's second patent trial against Samsung, where he shared some details on the development of the "Slide to Unlock" function Samsung is accused of copying and gave additional details on the development of the original iPhone.

One of Apple's major arguments against Samsung is the fact that developing the iPhone was a serious risk for the company as it was new territory, a point that Christie reiterated in his testimony as he described the three year journey of the iPhone's development (via CNET).

The iPhone went through hundreds of different design tweaks as Apple worked to make the phone function in a way that anyone could understand. The company's focus on simplicity remains to this day, with Apple designing for "normal people," as described by Christie.
"One of the biggest challenges is that we need to sell products to people who don't do what we do for a living," Christie, one of the inventors of the slide-to-unlock iPhone feature, said. When designing products, Apple keeps in mind that it wants "normal people - people with better things to do with their lives than learn how a computer might work - to use the product as well as we can."
Christie helped develop some of the original iPhone's key features and he is known as the inventor of "Slide to Unlock," a function that prevents the iPhone from being activated accidentally while within a pocket. During his testimony, Christie also detailed the creation of the function (via Re/code), noting that Apple had originally aimed to have the device's screen on at all times.

A screen that was always on proved to be infeasible, with Christie citing an inability to meet power requirements. "We had to resort to a power button," he said, stating that the company was also concerned with "pocket dialing."
"We knew we had to have a locked mode, or a locked state, where it wouldn't let you do most things, except you could unlock it," Christie said.
That need resulted in the development of Apple's famous Slide to Unlock function, which Christie testified was an important feature on the phone because it is the first thing a customer sees on the iPhone, both in store and at home.

During this second patent trial, which covers newer devices, Apple was limited to levying just five patents against Samsung, making each one vital to the case. Apple is aiming to prove that each patent is highly valuable to the company and is seeking $2 billion in damages from Samsung.

Greg Christie gave additional details on the development of the original iPhone ahead of the patent trial, which can be found in his March interview with The Wall Street Journal.

Article Link: Apple Spent Years Designing iPhone for 'Normal People'

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Slide to unlock can eat itself.

It's much better with iOS7 (full screen slide is better than the little slide strip), nearly tolerable, but still annoying.

I disable the lock screen on android tablets. I haven't been arrested and the world hasn't ended.

artistic

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
none "Normal"

How about a IOS for the none electronically moronic people ??

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

COME ON APPLE, stop assuming the entire world is STUPID !!!!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I'm not normal. I Think Different.

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

That made me lol :D

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
And it was a good thing they did so. Otherwise we'd all be using a stylus and trying to poke at little things on our screen. Not that I didn't enjoy doing that, but you lose the stylus, you have little choice but to get another or try and get the screen to work with the tip of your nails. :p

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

And you're still buying their products. Good luck with that lawsuit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And I definitely agree with the "normal people" statement. That has been their focus ever since Macintosh, and the Apple II.

Last edited:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

There is such thing as software over engineering ...

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
And then they ruined everything with iOS7.

I think it's fair to say that they taught the world how to use a phone with a touch screen device using skeuomorphism, bulky chrome, and mechanical buttons/switches. Now that we're all familiar with that, let's make use of the extra focus that is gained when peel all of that back and bring forth the information we're actually interested in.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I found my million $ development idea. I'm going to create an app that automatically filters out all of the 'waaah, I hate iOS7. Boo-hoo." comments.

So what you're proposing is closing the comments section on MacRumours? ;)

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
Samsung has stolen so many things from the iPhone, they should pay a hefty price.

No fine is going to hurt Samsung enough though, because they already threw money into the game and got a nice chunk of the market share.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I think many posters here are forgetting that the presentation of the case which is being reported on MacRumors is not intended to appeal to MR's readers, the sole purpose of the rhetoric is to land punches in the minds of the jurors only. Keep this in mind when you've been insulted because you're smarter than 'normal people'.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I miss Scott Forstall's voice

Agreed!

Skeuomorphism still has value and was uniquely Apple!

iOS 7 goes along with the crowd and boring flat designs of windows & android platforms. Nothing wrong with that. if you like that you can chose those devices, but Apple has lost a few things, most notably, to think different!

I'm an IT person, but I understand that "normal" people do not want to jailbreak, hack, or constantly re-learn how to operate a device. That's for engineers to tinker with and those that demand "something new" every few months or the phone "sucks".

Usability vs gimmicks is the issue here. To me, the iPhone 4 with iOS 6.1.3 was the pinnacle of design & usability. Much like Snow Leopard was the pinnacle for Mac OS X.

"Normal" people aren't stupid just because they don't know how to program a microwave clock. They just prefer to spend their time different to those that constantly like to tweak and tinker. Steve Jobs understood so well to reign in engineers' wet dreams and channel them into magically fantastic products.

All I essentially want from a smartphone is a) make a phone call, b) listen to music, c) check my calendar, d) read email, e) browse the web, f) set an alarm and g) take the occasional snapshot.

Everything else is gimmicky to me and often a waste of time.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Not ruined. But definitely backtracked in areas. Hopefully iOS 8 will be a unilateral step forward. Maybe even as good as iOS 6!

Where's the quote from Tim Cook stating that usability is no longer a goal because they think they've already succeeded in teaching everyone how to use a mobile device? Let's hope Apple never has to acquire new first-time customers or that new people are ever born.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.