Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not ruined. But definitely backtracked in areas. Hopefully iOS 8 will be a unilateral step forward. Maybe even as good as iOS 6!

Where's the quote from Tim Cook stating that usability is no longer a goal because they think they've already succeeded in teaching everyone how to use a mobile device? Let's hope Apple never has to acquire new first-time customers or that new people are ever born.

How is it then that my 72 year old mother uses iOS 7 just fine yet prior to last year never used a mobile device in her life?

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Samsung has stolen so many things from the iPhone, they should pay a hefty price.

No fine is going to hurt Samsung enough though, because they already threw money into the game and got a nice chunk of the market share.

I asked this on another thread but got no reply.. Can you list maybe a top 10 of what they have stolen.. if its true they have copied loads of stuff it shudnt be too hard.. thanks in advance..

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
How about a IOS for the none electronically moronic people ??

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

COME ON APPLE, stop assuming the entire world is STUPID !!!!

You have the option of making your own OS or going to a different OS. No one is forcing you to stay. Good luck with your lawsuit or new OS endeavors.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Agreed!

All I essentially want from a smartphone is a) make a phone call, b) listen to music, c) check my calendar, d) read email, e) browse the web, f) set an alarm and g) take the occasional snapshot.

Everything else is gimmicky to me and often a waste of time.

Naively what the iPhone was sold as originally everything in your pocket.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Hi guys. I'm watching this site for a long time but I've never post anything. I'm still using an iPhone 2G 2.3.1. The battery isn't that good as it was in 2007 but the phone still working well. I've been thinking about change to newer and better model but I've been a bit lazy. Nevertheless I believe it is time fo me to buy a new iPhone. I was looking forward to iPhone 6 but If they use 4.7 or even more I'm definitely going for 5S. Even it is not feel as sturdy and solid as 4/4S. What is my point? Nothing. Bring back the old solid iPhones with 4 inch screens! Call it iPhone mini or iPhone dwarfy I don't care but I do not want to hang out with phone big as my hand.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think it's very interesting that they considered having the screen on at all times in the locked state. The reason they added a lock button is because they couldn't.

Makes me think in the future we might see screens that are always on. :eek:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
*facepalm*

Right, because the iPad was around for years and the iPhone was a quick port job.

Now we have to hear about how it was years in the making and master crafted and stuff.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Hi guys. I'm watching this site for a long time but I've never post anything. I'm still using an iPhone 2G 2.3.1. The battery isn't that good as it was in 2007 but the phone still working well. I've been thinking about change to newer and better model but I've been a bit lazy. Nevertheless I believe it is time fo me to buy a new iPhone. I was looking forward to iPhone 6 but If they use 4.7 or even more I'm definitely going for 5S. Even it is not feel as sturdy and solid as 4/4S. What is my point? Nothing. Bring back the old solid iPhones with 4 inch screens! Call it iPhone mini or iPhone dwarfy I don't care but I do not want to hang out with phone big as my hand.

I read this post and can't help but wonder one thing...

How can you possibly tolerate being on AT&T's EDGE network? It was bad enough back in 2007 when it was still considered current; these days a lot of the spectrum has been re-farmed to UTMS/HSDPA and LTE; there's not much left! Your experience must be absolutely atrocious and near-unusable!

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
"When designing products, Apple keeps in mind that it wants “normal people – people with better things to do with their lives than learn how a computer might work – to use the product as well as we can."

Steve Jobs on technology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFErVHAuLQ

EDIT: Is this thing on? One of Apples fundamental guiding principals is to create devices that work so well you're not aware of your interactions with it. For those bitching about normal people and apple dumbing down the world, you missing the point.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Nah, I thought they ruined everything with the textures everywhere. Which actually has been in OS X since the beginning. :\

Early builds of OS X had a pinstripe background to match the iMacs and G3s of the time. The original Cinema Displays matched that style exactly, too. When 10.3 came around, they ditched that, going for a smooth white with brushed metal.

Come to think of it, I actually liked the pinstriping then, but iOS went too far with textures everywhere. Glossy this, and felt that. It just started looking like a game of MYST or something. I'm surprised the address book program didn't start with an animation of the book zooming in and opening up.

It got pretty tacky pretty fast.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How about a IOS for the none electronically moronic people ??

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

COME ON APPLE, stop assuming the entire world is STUPID !!!!

Apple won't make their OS more complicated. It'd be a suicide for them (all those non-tech-savvy customers would just jump ship), unless they went the Samsung way.

Samsung simply introduced a "Simple" mode, achievable via a switch in Settings, in addition to the default one, which greatly simplifies the OS of their handsets. Then, they become as simple-to-use as iOS, while, of course, disabling a LOT of advanced features (menus etc).

Apple could go this way but I really don't think they will. After all, the big money is in the tech unsavvy people. Why would they cater for us "nerd" "geeks" or simply tech-savvy people when they already have their money by catering for the unsavvy?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is why I love Apple. It isn't just about Apple developing the best technologies that the rest of the industry rips off like sheep. But Apple spends a huge amount of time making that technology accessible for all people from all backgrounds. Whether you're a technophobe, have a serious disability, or are a creative on the cutting-edge of technology, Apple's devices and software are made for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.