Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
The memo that is referenced in this story paints a different picture. One of a company that also fears its competition and is trying leapfrog them as soon as possible.

But I agree - people will still buy it in droves.

"fear" isn't the right term. any smart company keeps tabs on the competition and actively seeks to avoid being left behind. they all do this.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I find it odd that this whole email was brought up in a court patent battle about the iPhone - what does the AppleTV have anything to do with this?

It's an email that was produced in its entirety through discovery in the Apple/Samsung litigation. There are clearly relevant comments in this email that pertain to the litigation, so it had to be produced.

Or maybe it was given to the lawyers during discovery.

I swear - why does everything have to be a conspiracy.

Exactly. People don't understand the litigation process generally.

No Rogifan - it has to be a mole. Or Samsung beat the ever loving crap out of someone at Apple to get the document. Or Samsung stole it physically or by breaking into Apple's network. Because clearly there was no other way.

Are you trolling? If Samsung's lawyers request any and all emails from leadership pertaining to iPhone development in relation to Android, Apple's lawyers MUST produce this email or face legal sanctions if it were to turn up later. Neither Apple nor their lawyers want to risk sanctions, fees, and disbarment over a four year old email.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
No Rogifan - it has to be a mole. Or Samsung beat the ever loving crap out of someone at Apple to get the document. Or Samsung stole it physically or by breaking into Apple's network. Because clearly there was no other way.

because....

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I read the whole email. Width of vision, clarity and strategic planning behind Steve's email is breathtaking. I also noted that most of his ideas outlined in email have been implemented, specifically lower cost iPhone, iCloud sharing and storage, saving and backing up to iCloud from all Apple apps, AirPlay to AppleTV and etc. But the vision of Jobs is great.

rdej47

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
I think the most interesting thing about these documents is Job's public performances/presence vs. this internal presence. He was always very bold on stage and he was always pretty good at knocking their competition for being inferior, too complex, or far behind. He was really good at labelling at the competition as the enemy and you could really get behind this confidence (reality distortion field??) But in these documents it's really clear that he acknowledges them as a threat and even as superior in some cases.

I think the biggest problem is their cloud solution. iCloud is good but I think it'd be incredible if they could take things like their iLife services or even having Back to my Mac functioning Natively. I'd love to be able to go to any computer and access my Mac

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

ETA: By the way - you tend to be vocal about MR's editorialship at times. Does it not strike you as interesting that they buried the lead?

Nah, I'm sure they just copied from Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac who picked out the Apple TV bits. :)

----------

I read the whole email. Width of vision, clarity and strategic planning behind Steve's email is breathtaking. I also noted that most of his ideas outlined in email have been implemented, specifically lower cost iPhone, iCloud sharing and storage, saving and backing up to iCloud from all Apple apps, AirPlay to AppleTV and etc. But the vision of Jobs is great.

Do you really believe everything on this list was just Steve's vision or idea? Seems to me he was providing a summary of what would be discussed, and probably most of this stuff was already being discussed at weekly executive meetings.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
It's an email that was produced in its entirety through discovery in the Apple/Samsung litigation. There are clearly relevant comments in this email that pertain to the litigation, so it had to be produced.

I'm surprised that Apple was not allowed to redact portions of the e-mail which point to future products.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
2010: "where do we go from here?"

2014: nowhere

Except:

They're leading the portable computer industry in software, battery life, hardware dimensions & weight, and usability.

They're leading the mobile phone industry in the compact phone segment.

Hmm, iPad...

Mac Pro...

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
ideas are nothing if it is not implemented. Even if a light build was invented but if Edison did not implemented it we 'may' still be living in darkness...I think Apple TV ideas were great then in 2010 or 2011 but that advantage is or no longer an advantage.... or at least greatly decreased and even diminished. Same goes for the iwatch.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Are you trolling? If Samsung's lawyers request any and all emails from leadership pertaining to iPhone development in relation to Android, Apple's lawyers MUST produce this email or face legal sanctions if it were to turn up later. Neither Apple nor their lawyers want to risk sanctions, fees, and disbarment over a four year old email.

Did you notice I was the one that used the term discovery correctly? My second post/comment was PURE sarcasm.

----------

I'm surprised that Apple was not allowed to redact portions of the e-mail which point to future products.

What future products are you referring to?

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014

You're oversimplifying it quite a bit, and a lot of what you wrote is just wrong. I specialize in corporate law so I am very familiar with how it works.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Did anyone notice this at the bottom of each page?

Highly Confidential - Attorneys' Eyes Only

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
As someone else mentioned, they are taking their time in order to get it right. When the iPhone came out critics were laughing at the fact that it only had Edge and no 3G to be found. Then when the iPhone 4 came out it was "where's LTE"? Apple knows what they're doing. They have a plan or else they wouldn't have so many billions in cash lying around. Sure Amazon came out with gaming available for their TV box, but Apple has been talking about this or rumoured to have discussed this feature already and it just may appear in the next update to Apple TV. As for the magic wand, hasn't there been talk of using gestures and voice to control the set top box? Give Apple time and they will deliver.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Huh? It's not a mole it's part of discovery.

ETA: By the way - you tend to be vocal about MR's editorialship at times. Does it not strike you as interesting that they buried the lead?

You're both right. Yes, Samsung stole it. They were tipped off by the mole who joined the cleaning service and left the building open for Ninjas (little known fact that Samsung employs Ninjas). As they left the building, the Ninjas killed the mole to tie up any loose ends.

On a totally unrelated note, Renzatic will no longer be posting on MR. It seems he was found dead with about 50 shuriken perforating his chest. Apparently trying to defend himself with a mop and bottle of Windex didn't work out.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple must be wondering who is the 'mole' responsible for leaking those --most likely-- highly confidential documents to Samsung.

That statement is lacking in any kind of basis. What I do wonder is how it ended up accessible when it's marked highly confidential.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You're both right. Yes, Samsung stole it. They were tipped off by the mole who joined the cleaning service and left the building open for Ninjas (little known fact that Samsung employs Ninjas). As they left the building, the Ninjas killed the mole to tie up any loose ends.

On a totally unrelated note, Renzatic will no longer be posting on MR. It seems he was found dead with about 50 shuriken perforating his chest. Apparently trying to defend himself with a mop and bottle of Windex didn't work out.

ROFLMAO! I knew Renzatic had to be behind this. :D And no way they took him down if he had a bottle of Windex and a mop. You wouldn't believe what he could do with those two items. :D:D He makes Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris look like amateurs. :D

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be humorous.

bzero

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2014
Just drop the prices on the iTunes Store for movies to post-2008 levels so the Apple TV can compete. I've only been using it because I had gift cards. I don't even know anyone else who uses it, and look at the market share nowadays!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
ROFLMAO! I knew Renzatic had to be behind this. :D And no way they took him down if he had a bottle of Windex and a mop. You wouldn't believe what he could do with those two items. :D:D He makes Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris look like amateurs. :D

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be humorous.

Normally he would be a match for the Ninjas. Samsung knew this. Acting on a tip from an informant, they purchased every single Hot Pocket in the tri-state area; making Renzatic as normal as you and me.

No one knows who the informant is.

On a totally unrelated note: Did samcraig show you his new Galaxy S5, Note Pro, Gear 2, courtside seats at Miami Heat games, and his bobble head of Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon?

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
These were ideas put forward in 2010.. My guess is over the past 4 years Apple has refined those ideas.

Ain't gonna be no magic wand.
Correct. Great thing about Apple is unlike Samsung they can say 'no' to bad ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.