Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leitmotif

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
Just finished this one up today. It was a coverup.

1966927_10152735309014638_689382972469753094_n.jpg

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Potato/potato. It is easier to call it a coverup and I feel like it is. Does it matter that much to you?

Just because I elaborate on your tattoo a little does not mean I overly care; it makes no difference to me-- but if I had a tattoo of a bird and then went and added a sky and buildings behind it, I wouldn't call that a cover up.

Anyway, It looks nice regardless.

leitmotif

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
Just because I elaborate on your tattoo a little does not mean I overly care; it makes no difference to me-- but if I had a tattoo of a bird and then went and added a sky and buildings behind it, I wouldn't call that a cover up.

Anyway, It looks nice regardless.

Thank you for the compliment. I wouldn't exactly call it a Triple Julia crop circle anymore though. That's why I feel it is a coverup. Yes, the artist played off the existing piece but I think it's different from your analogy. I guess I could compromise and say it is a bit of both. Part coverup part add on.

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
If you can no longer see the original tattoo, I would call that a cover up. Nice work, the colors are really sharp.

Tuts

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
My latest (well, first) tattoo:

Attachments

• 2014-05-03 21.26.42.jpg
    2014-05-03 21.26.42.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 280

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
Just got my second tattoo last night.

I got my first tattoo in '93 fresh out of boot camp.

I had an idea for a tattoo concept I wanted, but took this long to do it.

Was able to find a local artist that I believe is up and coming. Decided on going with a 1/2 sleeve. First phase - a tribute to my birthplace - Hawaii. I wanted to incorporate things that remind me of home. My family are Native Hawaiian's. Many of my childhood memories are deeply rooted in my culture.

Had my first session last night. We did about 5 1/2 hours of solid work.

King Kamehameha: First ruler to unite the Hawaiian Islands. My family tree is traced back to him.
Hula dancer: Many, many memories of the wahine's of my family dancing hula long into the night at family luau's.

Plan on putting the Hokule'a - a seafaring outrigger canoe built to specs of the canoe's believed to be used by my ancestors settling the islands - on the bottom and incorporating the Waikiki skyline as the background.

15120982879_6845844801_c.jpg

macmacguy

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Just got my second tattoo last night.

I got my first tattoo in '93 fresh out of boot camp.

I had an idea for a tattoo concept I wanted, but took this long to do it.

Was able to find a local artist that I believe is up and coming. Decided on going with a 1/2 sleeve. First phase - a tribute to my birthplace - Hawaii. I wanted to incorporate things that remind me of home. My family are Native Hawaiian's. Many of my childhood memories are deeply rooted in my culture.

Had my first session last night. We did about 5 1/2 hours of solid work.

King Kamehameha: First ruler to unite the Hawaiian Islands. My family tree is traced back to him.
Hula dancer: Many, many memories of the wahine's of my family dancing hula long into the night at family luau's.

Plan on putting the Hokule'a - a seafaring outrigger canoe built to specs of the canoe's believed to be used by my ancestors settling the islands - on the bottom and incorporating the Waikiki skyline as the background.

Looking gooooood.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
How many tattoos are enough? Just one more.

I have three myself. I need to have some pics taken so I can upload them. Sadly, they're 15 years old and don't look quite as good as when they were first done.

May have to get a touch up on the one with colors.

seh80

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
i-ZKpnNmw-M.jpg

Here are mine so far. The arrow on my wrist is white ink and was just done in that photo, so not healed at all, looks neat now, like a very subtle scar. The peanut is on my inner leg, above ankle, in honor of my son who has been known as peanut since he was born. He has a very rare terminal genetic disease.
I have at least one more to get, a small memorial something that I haven't quite figured out yet. :/

Anyway, they all mean something to me, and are all pretty easy to hide. No regrets. I think waiting until I was 33 to get my first (the lotus) was a good idea in my case. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd have hello kitty somewhere on my body. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.