Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
IMO, this is another example of the benefit Apple has in controlling both the hardware and the software. Android phone manufacturers can crank out all the devices they want, but they're at the mercy of Google -- and sometimes the carriers -- to update their OS.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not really. When a huge number of people upgrade just because an upgrade is available and have no way to downgrade if they don't like it, when a large number of people getting new devices automatically get the new version without a way to select an older one if they wanted it, when a large number of people are just regular folks who don't even know about internet forums let alone have the time to figure them out and post on them...no, you can't really just make a supposition like that simply based on the number of people with the latest version of iOS.

So then I suppose you could say this about previous versions of iOS too? Were people able to downgrade from iOS 6 back to iOS 5? Bottom line is, if these numbers are not an accurate reflection, we'll see it in fewer device sales.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Metro sucks. If you disable it and use a start menu program to recreate it windows 8 really is solid, fast, and stable.

I use Windows 8.x all the time and never see Metro. It's basically optional - but it sucks less that OS X's "full screen" mode which makes no sense. :cool:

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States

YOWSERS! Thanks for that link! I knew there was a deep and abiding hatred for Vista, but I didn't realize the market share for it had shrunk to less than Windows 8 point freaking 1! Also it is very telling that Win 8.1 is already as high as Win 8 (seriously, they needed the Start Button). I actually admire Win 8.1 (though I am hardly willing to trade my OS environment for it) :D .

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Not sure their App Store hits in the space of one single week is a good measurement of adoption. I'm sure the real world number is significantly lower.

iOS 7 automatically updates apps by default. iOS 6 doesn't. Does an app updating automatically in the background count as an App Store hit?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So then I suppose you could say this about previous versions of iOS too? Were people able to downgrade from iOS 6 back to iOS 5? Bottom line is, if these numbers are not an accurate reflection, we'll see it in fewer device sales.
Device sales aren't necessarily linked to this either. Plenty of people buy the devices because it's Apple or other ecosystem needs and not because of iOS itself. There are way way more "typical" users out there who don't even really know what iOS really means or what changed or anything like that. There's just so much more to it all that it just doesn't really directly speak for how good it is.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
May be if Apple would allow an easy way to fall back to the previous iOS, we would know the TRUE adoption rate.

Last year at WWDC Apple said iOS 6 adoption rate was 93%. Were people questioning then whether that was the "true" adoption rate or not? If iOS 7 is disliked that much then I would imagine we'd see fewer iPhone and iPad sales.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Count me among those who upgraded reluctantly - I was still on iOS 5! - and only upgraded when apps & app updates no longer supported it.

But despite being very wary of it, I love iOS7. The control centre, the app switcher, iCloud Keychain. I like the translucent of the UI, I'm not too fond of the flat simple icons as everything looks too similar, but it really doesn't bother me. Even installed it on my iPhone 4 despite it probably being too slow for it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, not sure their App Store hits in the space of one single week is a good measurement of adoption.. I'm sure the real world number is significantly lower.

iOS 7 automatically updates apps by default. iOS 6 doesn't.
And there's definitely that too, with almost automatic bias built into the numbers right from the beginning essentially.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Device sales aren't necessarily linked to this either. Plenty of people buy the devices because it's Apple or other ecosystem needs and not because of iOS itself. There are way way more "typical" users out there who don't even really know what iOS really means or what changed or anything like that. There's just so much more to it all that it just doesn't really directly speak for how good it is.

I think we can agree that there is partial causality. If people thought it sucked then word would get around and they wouldn't upgrade. We would at least see the adoption rate fall behind the previous version's from the year before.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The title should replace "adoption rate", to "rate of users fallen victim of no turning back".
There is no reverse to iOS 6, there is no way a user can recover the space eaten up by a forced download...

----------

So much for being a fail... eat that haters.

Just like your post, there is no down rate...

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Déjà vu.

app store connection stats ≠ overall iOS adoption rate

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Last year at WWDC Apple said iOS 6 adoption rate was 93%. Were people questioning then whether that was the "true" adoption rate or not? If iOS 7 is disliked that much then I would imagine we'd see fewer iPhone and iPad sales.
Not really when there's so much other stuff that takes precedence over iOS that goes into why typical people get a new iPhone. The simple reality of people with and old iPhone that just need to upgrade to get something that's at least decent compared to their older one essentially gets them included in this statistic by the mere fact that that is the only version they would get with a new iPhone, whether they want iOS 7 or even care or know what it is even.

----------

I think we can agree that there is partial causality. If people thought it sucked then word would get around and they wouldn't upgrade. We would at least see the adoption rate fall behind the previous version's from the year before.
If it really sucked a lot to cause something like that, perhaps, but if it sucked just not enough for it to be some sort of sensational viral thing, not really. When you are faced with really liking the iPhone in general and having an Apple ecosystem and really needing to upgrade your phone, but you don't like iOS 7 particularly or you are even a more typical user who doesn't really even know much if anything at all about iOS 7, your choice to upgrade just to have a device that runs things decently compared your dated one automatically included in these numbers without any particular desire of you having iOS 7.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Because a term like "good" is completely subjective. I don't have many issues with iOS 7, other people hate it with a passion. There is no right or wrong, only opinions. The numbers that Apple provides are for developers. If they know only a small percentage of people accessing the AppStore are on iOS 6 their resources will be spent supporting iOS 7/8. I would imagine developers aren't interested in supporting multiple operating systems if they don't have to.

forthelove

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
This metric is flawed. It only polls devices that are owned by people who regularly visit the app store.

So it should read, 87% of people who visited the app store last are week are using iOS7.

I'm certain the actual adoption rate is less.

It's not really the metric that's flawed; the article title is improperly marketing it. For developers this metric is great. Basically telling them that by not wasting time supporting old OS's they only lose out on 13% of active users. The potential gains by focusing more resources on only the latest OS version may outweigh supporting old software.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Not sure their App Store hits in the space of one single week is a good measurement of adoption. I'm sure the real world number is significantly lower.

iOS 7 automatically updates apps by default. iOS 6 doesn't. Does an app updating automatically in the background count as an App Store hit?

And there's definitely that too, with almost automatic bias built into the numbers right from the beginning essentially.

I see that as having the reverse effect to this chart..
IF you have iOS 7, you don't need to login to the App Store to download new updates since they are automatic, so there should be more iOS 7 devices on this chart than it indicates, no?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Not really. When a huge number of people upgrade just because an upgrade is available and have no way to downgrade if they don't like it, when a large number of people getting new devices automatically get the new version without a way to select an older one if they wanted it, when a large number of people are just regular folks who don't even know about internet forums let alone have the time to figure them out and post on them...no, you can't really just make a supposition like that simply based on the number of people with the latest version of iOS.

That's a theory. You just have no supporting evidence that those are significant factors. The fact that iOS 7 adoption is apparently on par with iOS 6 would indicate that it hasn't been significantly rejected.

And the fact that iOS 7 adoption continues to grow faster than it's main competition would be a good indicator that their isn't any significant backlash. Unless you are just going to dismiss the people upgrading 3-6 months after launch as just upgrading because it's available.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because a term like "good" is completely subjective. I don't have many issues with iOS 7, other people hate it with a passion. There is no right or wrong, only opinions. The numbers that Apple provides are for developers. If they know only a small percentage of people accessing the AppStore are on iOS 6 their resources will be spent supporting iOS 7/8. I would imagine developers aren't interested in supporting multiple operating systems if they don't have to.
Being subjective is only further support to saying that the number of people accessing the App Store over a period of a week who are using iOS 7 doesn't really relate to the quality of iOS 7 unlike some talking points in various posts have been trying to imply.

----------

That's a theory. You just have no supporting evidence that those are significant factors. The fact that iOS 7 adoption is apparently on par with iOS 6 would indicate that it hasn't been significantly rejected.

And the fact that iOS 7 adoption continues to grow faster than it's main competition would be a good indicator that their isn't any significant backlash. Unless you are just going to dismiss the people upgrading 3-6 months after launch as just upgrading because it's available.
But none of that still really speaks to the quality of iOS 7 given all the other factors in play, that's what I'm trying to point out in light of people making oversimplified statements trying to say otherwise simply based on these fairly narrow numbers.

The mere fact that there is no way to downgrade or get new devices with anything other than iOS 7 on them makes the whole pice of it not being significantly rejected a skewed reality, given that there wouldn't be enough of a measure to see if it truly would be significantly rejected or not if enough of a choice was actually provided. There are too many other factors to why people have iOS 7 outside of just iOS 7 itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.