Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
SO, you're not liking the Office subscription price, thank your lucky stars you don't use Adobe CS.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
LOL, Balmer probably paid that guy $3.7 million dollars to make that comment. When you're that rich, can you put a number on ensuring history looks upon you kindly? That number is probably at least $3.7 million dollars. Maybe even $3.8 million dollars.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
The app is free.....great way to pull people in, and then BAM, hit 'em with that $10/month or $100/year to actually use the app.
Props for the douchebaggery Microsoft.

Say what? Do you expect businesses to provide product without having some sort of revenue produced by it? Really? Would you offer your boss your time and effort for free? Like, you drive to work for free, then BAM, you expect to get paid for the time you put in.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
SO, you're not liking the Office subscription price, thank your lucky stars you don't use Adobe CS.

CC is expensive but it is a powerful suite of creativity apps that its customers use to make a living. There is nothing else that comes close to what Adobe can offer its customers and they are priced accordingly.

Office on the other hand is competing against a bunch of free/low cost alternatives that can largely meet the needs of the vast majority of people. There are some people who need the power features of Excel and Word, but most people just use it because they don't know any differently (or their company doesn't know any differently).

It's amazing how much money Microsoft has been able to milk customers for over the years with Office.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Say what? Do you expect businesses to provide product without having some sort of revenue produced by it? Really? Would you offer your boss your time and effort for free? Like, you drive to work for free, then BAM, you expect to get paid for the time you put in.

People now seem to think .99 is what you should pay for an app which then has a lifetime of free updates as the developers expense.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

I actually really love my CC subscription. But I'm the kind of person who uses tons of different software for my work, and love learning new software. Having everything they make at my disposal is awesome, and extra benefits like using Typekit on my sites make it worthwhile. Then bonuses come along like today getting Lightroom for iPad. I'm currently syncing 23,629 photos from my Lightroom Library to my Retina iPad Mini. It's incredible!

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
"Details matter?" Indeed they do!

Details like shipping a new OS with 65,000 known bugs apparently don't affect MS very much; I'm glad to know they take a more focused approach to iOS.

I'm assuming you're referring to Vista? Anyways, I'm sure this team who created the office iPad app isn't related to the OS team.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Since we were designing Office for iPad from a "blank slate" so to speak, we wanted to take the time to deliver the highest possible quality Office experience that is fully optimized for the iPad. A wise man once said, "Details matter, it's worth waiting to get it right." That rings true for how we thought about it.Han-yi Shaw, Group Program Manager & Design Manager for Office for iPad

Wasn't that wise man Steve?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Since we were designing Office for iPad from a "blank slate" so to speak, we wanted to take the time to deliver the highest possible quality Office experience that is fully optimized for the iPad. A wise man once said, "Details matter, it's worth waiting to get it right." That rings true for how we thought about it.Han-yi Shaw, Group Program Manager & Design Manager for Office for iPad

Wasn't that wise man Steve?

Yes. That's the point.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
That's an oversimplified way of looking at the issue.

Wha?

The make a product. You need the product. They offer a reasonable price. You pay for the product.

How is that oversimplified? That's how most companies+consumers work.

If I were an Office user, I'd consider this a bonus to my existing setup, or a incentive to bring Office to my mobile devices. For the price, you get 20 gigs of One Drive, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Onenote, PowerPoint) to all your devices including desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. You get to use it on 5 computers! You get Skype minutes on top if you use that.

Office costs more on the old model and you got less. What was it, $350 for upgrade pricing every 3 years when I new version came out? 3 years on the subscription model is $297. A little cheaper, and they give you a lot more PLUS you'll always have the latest version.

The ability to maintain formatting from desktop to iPad is the damn best feature IMO.

What's with all the crying and whining?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
That's cheaper than paying $400 every 3 years to upgrade Office as in the past.

The problem is people were not upgrading every 3 years. So Microsoft decided it was time to effectively force everyone to upgrade every year with the subscription model. For some people it will work out cheaper if they were buying all the Office upgrades in the past (not many people did, and certainly not many businesses did either). For the majority of people it will cost them more money and make Microsoft more money - which is of course why Microsoft they have adopted the subscription model.

Now do I have any a problem with a company trying to milk customers for every penny they can get? Nope. If people think they need to pay for this, and do so, then congratulations to Microsoft for continuing to milk the Office cow for loads more money.

I'm just pointing out reasons why I'm not buying into it.

Then don't use it for 100 years.

I just solved your problem.

I solved my own problem by not using Office at all. I hope many other people reach a similar decision.

AaronShep

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
quaking

Am I the only one quaking in his boots to hear about all the shared code between Office for iPad and Office for Mac? Sounds like Microsoft might go the way of Apple in dumbing down the desktop interface.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
The app is free.....great way to pull people in, and then BAM, hit 'em with that $10/month or $100/year to actually use the app.
Props for the douchebaggery Microsoft.

Bitter much? They are a company over all, how else do you expect them to make money? You don't really think iCloud or Google (Gmail, google doc etc...) is really "free" do you? There is nothing that is "free", if you don't like it you can use something else, if not write your own program.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Its kind of ironic in a way. People are always associating Apple with a walled garden you can't escape. Now with software subscriptions like Microsoft and Adobe its kind of doing it too.

In fact talking with a friend who's a Microsoft partner some of the packages offered make it hard to downgrade. You have to delete and make a new account. Something that a Microsoft representative admitted it was a way to deter people from going to a cheaper package.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yeah that's a fair comparison. Me refusing to pay an excessive amount of money every year for a product that is already grossly overpriced in the marketplace is akin to me asking the poor Microsoft employees to work for free.

Now you could have told my boss I decided to download the fully baked iWorks apps for free and deleted all Office entirely.

Let's see how 'free' that iWork suite looks the next time Apple drop a non-backwards compatible, non-optional update that won't run on half your hardware.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Did people seriously do that ?! :eek:

The last time I paid for Office was ~ 7 years ago, and it only cost me ~$100

Yeah, I did that once. The hologram on the disk didn't look nearly so good though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.