Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Japanese website EMSOne [Google Translate, via G for Games] citing Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times, Apple is planning to begin mass production of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 in July with the larger 5.5-inch version to enter mass production in September.

The report notes that both versions of the next-generation iPhone will go on sale at some point during the fourth quarter of this year, with the 4.7-inch iPhone being announced and released earlier than the 5.5-inch iPhone.

iphone-6-side-800x536.jpg
Renderings of iPhone 6 (4.7") and iPhone 6 (5.7") based on leaked schematics
The news comes as a report from Reuters last month stated that Apple would begin production of the 4.7-inch display to be used in the iPhone 6 this May for the device's release this fall. The report also noted that the 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 would be delayed due to difficulties with in-cell production technology, and would start production several months after the 4.7-inch version.

A report last month from Japanese newspaper Nikkei stated that the iPhone 6 could launch "as early as September" and will be offered in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display sizes. This contrasted a claim from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, who said that the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 might be the only model to launch later this year, as a timeframe for the larger 5.5-inch version was unclear.

Internal documents from the second ongoing trial between Apple and Samsung also indicate that Apple is poised to release a larger phone, as a slide deck from an April 2013 presentation showed that customers want less expensive and most notably, larger screen smartphones.

In addition to a larger display, Apple’s next-generation iPhone is expected to feature a durable, sapphire screen, and a thinner, bezel-free design in addition to processor and camera upgrades.

Article Link: Mass Production of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set for July, 5.5-Inch Version Beginning in September

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
interesting a staged roll out

I'd rather see the larger one first just because I'm more interested in that :D

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Apple literally doubled down on secrecy. Put two rabbits out to chase, and not one can be caught.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How accurate has Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times been in the past? And how would they know Apple's planned release schedule? I'm still skeptical that Apple is actually going to sell a phablet.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Agreed, that's a nice looking phone. But I question validity of the "specs" the design is based on. Main that is the flash, iPhone 5S has the duel "pill shaped" flash. Those mock ups are based specs that still include the round flash. I know that's a small thing, but I wonder if this could be a bad spec leak like the "wedge" shaped phone that was being mocked up prior to the iPhone 4S announce.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
The only problem I see with this plan is that it would mean they would be putting out a brand new phone but with last years OS... not saying that its a bad things just doesn't seem like Apple's style. Definitely excited to see how this turns out though!

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
IMO, 4.7" is the perfect size for a smartphone. The 5.5" phones around today are unwieldy and difficult to use with one hand.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Agreed, that's a nice looking phone. But I question validity of the "specs" the design is based on. Main that is the flash, iPhone 5S has the duel "pill shaped" flash. Those mock ups are based specs that still include the round flash. I know that's a small thing, but I wonder if this could be a bad spec leak like the "wedge" shaped phone that was being mocked up prior to the iPhone 4S announce.

The blue print also says the camera is a flash. Which obviously is a mistake.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
The only problem I see with this plan is that it would mean they would be putting out a brand new phone but with last years OS... not saying that its a bad things just doesn't seem like Apple's style. Definitely excited to see how this turns out though!
I think they do iOS8 at the same time in September/October.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Who says anything about the OS? Pretty sure the new iPhones will ship with iOS 8.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I hope they keep the current size as well. Im not interested in carrying around a little iPad. 4.7" may be ok though.

I feel the same way but think 4.7" might be a decent "compromise". Certainly hope if Apple does go that route it sticks as the permanent small size iPhone.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Who says anything about the OS? Pretty sure the new iPhones will ship with iOS 8.

Except with WWDC not until June a new phone being released in July would give no time for iOS 8 to be tested.

----------

I think they do iOS8 at the same time in September/October.

I completely agree which is why I don't think we will see any new models in July like stated in the article.

Whoops I misread this... production for July not release :D

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Except with WWDC not until June a new phone being released in July would give no time for iOS 8 to be tested.

----------

I completely agree which is why I don't think we will see any new models in July like stated in the article.

I don't think mass production means it'll be sold in July. That's just to prepare for sales.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
I hope this is inaccurate. I don't want a bigger and thinner/lighter phone.
I could now stash away one or two 5s but that doesn't really help in the end either if this is the stupid trend.
Those look like the samsung ghettophonez that I avoided when moving to apple.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
What kind of resolution can we expect with the new screen sizes?

Will devs again have a to support new resolutions as with the introduction of the 4" screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.