Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox today announced several new products for its desktop and mobile consumers, including Mailbox for OS X and a new photo and video sharing app called Carousel.

Carousel is a standalone app that is designed to organize a user's entire collection of photos stored via Dropbox, separating them into an event-based timeline that also highlights important moments and supports private messages. Photos automatically backup to Dropbox and sync across all platforms. They can also be shared in batches with and saved to other users' timelines via email or phone number, regardless of whether or not the user has a Dropbox account.

carousel2app.jpg
According to Dropbox, the app, deemed "one place for all your memories" backs up photos to Dropbox, with storage being tied to the amount of space in a user's Dropbox account.
We'd like you to meet Carousel: a gallery for all the photos and videos from your life. It combines the photos in your Dropbox with the photos on your phone, and automatically backs up new ones as you take them. Carousel sorts all these memories by event so you can easily travel back in time to any photo from any date. And unlike other mobile galleries, the size of your Carousel isn't constrained by the space on your phone, which means you can finally have your entire life's memories in one place.
While Dropbox already allows automatic camera uploads and image storage, photos are generally dumped into a single folder that doesn't offer many organizational options. Carousel will bring a whole new photo viewing and sharing experience that will make it much easier for users to browse through their image collections. The app will be live later today.

Along with Carousel, Dropbox has also announced plans to bring its popular Mailbox app for iOS to the desktop. There are few details available on the OS X version of the app, but it will likely function similarly to the iOS app, allowing users to "snooze" messages and organize them into lists. There's no prospective launch date on the horizon, but Dropbox is accepting beta signups.

Update 12:55 PM PT: Carousel is now available for download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox Announces 'Carousel' Photo and Video App, Mailbox for Desktop

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Love DropBox, but Google Drive prices are much better. When it comes to cost per Gigabyte vs different ways to view my images - cost per GB wins.

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
Does anyone use Mailbox as their iOS email client? How is it?

I tried it, but if I'm not mistaken, there were no push notifications for the longest time. That might have changed, but at the time that was the deal breaker for me.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Photo syncin is great, minus the lack of uploading high quality video, or video at all.

This new app seems like one of those apps you download just to try but doesn't last long on your phone anyhow.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I tried it, but if I'm not mistaken, there were no push notifications for the longest time. That might have changed, but at the time that was the deal breaker for me.

There have been push notifications since release.

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
Can someone explain why is this a front page article? There are tons of noteworthy third party apps out there and these are featured? I could not care less about dropbox, its core product works for me but I would never use any of these things.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
:rolleyes:

Yet another one that thinks Apple, Dropbox, and Microsoft don't mine your data.

Or someone that thinks that one company having more of your data is different than spreading it out over several companies.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
If only Apple would build this functionality into the native Photos app/iCloud. The Photostream crap is confusing. This is how it should work.

A never-ending camera roll that just offloads to the cloud when you need more room on your phone.

They already do it with Music.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Or not... Some are worse offenders than others and Google is the worst offender imho.

Then I'm going to ask your for proof. I think the illusion you have is that Google makes it well known what they are doing, while others try to hide it or not talk about it. Apple is mining your data people. So is Amazon, so is Dropbox.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

Or someone that thinks that one company having more of your data is different than spreading it out over several companies.

And you think this matters? ;)

----------

If only Apple would build this functionality into the native Photos app/iCloud. The Photostream crap is confusing. This is how it should work.

A never-ending camera roll that just offloads to the cloud when you need more room on your phone.

They already do it with Music.

Yep. Use Dropbox with the Unbound app (on iOS and OS X) and it was a great experience. Now with Carousel, the photo experience is even better.

It's like Dropbox said, let's make Photostream how it should be.

Photostream's limit is ridiculous. Isn't that we Apple offers more storage space? Photos should stay there until my storage runs out or I purchase more. Apple is missing out on a few million in revenue from not doing this (if you take enough photos year after year, you WILL need to buy more storage space eventually).

Is Carousel a Universal app?

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
-ditches Sparrow-

BYEEEE

this is good news because I loved Mailbox when I had my iPhone and now its on Android AND OS X?

Attachments

• tumblr_static_tumblr_m3919amyxo1r9x0sdo1_400.gif
    tumblr_static_tumblr_m3919amyxo1r9x0sdo1_400.gif
    422.9 KB · Views: 1,961

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Then I'm going to ask your for proof. I think the illusion you have is that Google makes it well known what they are doing, while others try to hide it or not talk about it. Apple is mining your data people. So is Amazon, so is Dropbox.

That just oversimplifies the problem. Yes, they all mine data. But they don't all have access to the same data. Google is several orders of magnitude above the rest through search and their massive ad network.

And you think this matters? ;)

It matters to me.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
With 1TB free at flickr why use google or dropbox for storage?

I use Flickr + Flickring app by Pixite. EXCELLENT combo.

I use Google Drive as a 2nd backup for the actual files, since Flickr traps your files within their site when you upload them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.