Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to expand and improve marketing efforts by partnering with four new digital ad agencies, including WPP's AKQA, Interpublic Group's Huge, Area 17, and Kettle, reports Ad Age. The agencies will work on digital strategy and user experience, among other things.
The scope of the work being assigned across the agencies is broad, and will likely include user experience and digital strategy, among other elements, according to people familiar with the matter.
According to Ad Age, Apple's new partnerships will not affect existing relationships, such as that with TBWA/Media Arts Lab. Apple's longtime advertising partner was recently in the spotlight after the Apple vs. Samsung trial surfaced a heated email correspondence between the agency and Apple's head of marketing Phil Schiller.

Apple and Schiller were unhappy with the TBWA's early 2013 advertising efforts, but those relationship wrinkles were apparently ironed out as Apple has continued to work with the agency, producing the successful "Photos Every Day" and "Music Every Day" advertisements in late 2013.

Apple also works with several other digital shops and in 2013, the company began working on doubling the size of its in-house creative design team, likely as a response to increased pressure from Samsung. Samsung's "The Next Big Thing" advertising campaign reportedly infuriated Apple executives, leading to its troubles with its own advertising agencies.

According to a recent report, Apple spent $351 million on advertising in the U.S. in 2013, while Samsung spent $363 million. In years past, Samsung has far outspent Apple on advertisements, but that gap appears to have narrowed as Apple has made moves to improve its marketing campaigns.

Article Link: Apple Expanding Marketing Efforts with New Ad Agencies to Battle Samsung Threat

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Apple needs to stop making ads aimed people who have never owned a smartphone.

Once you've had 4 iPhones, they're not 'magical' or 'inspiring' or 'revolutionary' anymore.

It' just a phone. Everyone has one.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Samsung is not a threat. The only Samsung users I know either A) like the concept behind Apple's products, but insist on a cheaper alternative or B) strongly dislike Apple anything, and deliberately buy outside the Apple ecosystem out of principle. Apple is not losing them as customers, because they were never Apple's customers to have.

Apple needs to get this, and not worry about Ads that make both companies look insecure.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
Apple's commercials have somehow morphed into ads about interesting people doing crazy things I'll never do with my iPhone. They also all seem to be focused on the internal camera more than anything. Is the camera really the thing that convinces people to buy an iPhone?

Also, do they not advertise for Mac computers anymore?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Man.

I wish I was Apple's ad agency. Getting overpaid to use the same ads for 10yrs, just with a different product.

The "magic" is wearing off, especially when your competitors are outdoing you on the design front.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
...should we find something to advertise before we start making advertisements...?

HINT HINT! LET'S MOVE IT TIM! WHAT ARE THOSE REALLY EXCITING THINGS YOU'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT???

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008

Once you've had 4 iPhones, they're not 'magical' or 'inspiring' or 'revolutionary' anymore.

I have had all of the iPhones from the beginning and it is not just a phone. It's much more than that and the content and quality of them still amazes me. I'm reminded of how good it is each time I have to deal with Android phones.

doqo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
APPLE should develop an ad campaign called "SUNGbody don't copy! "

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
937 days since Apple released a display.

Now if only 4 new advertising agencies could convince me to buy it.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
the market is saturated

How do you advertise incremental updates with overpriced Ram ?

look it has round corners, now it has square corners, now they're round again

good grief! :mad:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Maybe Apple should just start innovating again.

Tell that to Samsung and maybe, just maybe they'll have something Apple may want to copy. :p

----------

Exactly because EVERYBODY outside of a tech forum has owned or does own a smartphone. :rolleyes:

----------

Apple's commercials have somehow morphed into ads about interesting people doing crazy things I'll never do with my iPhone. They also all seem to be focused on the internal camera more than anything. Is the camera really the thing that convinces people to buy an iPhone?

Well Nokia and their over-advertising of their 41mp camera in their phone seems to think so. ;)

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Samsung is not a threat. The only Samsung users I know either A) like the concept behind Apple's products, but insist on a cheaper alternative or B) strongly dislike Apple anything, and deliberately buy outside the Apple ecosystem out of principle. Apple is not losing them as customers, because they were never Apple's customers to have.

Apple needs to get this, and not worry about Ads that make both companies look insecure.

How many people do you know? It can't be that many if those are the only two reasons.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple Expanding Marketing Efforts with New Ad Agencies to Battle Samsung Threat

Apple is #2 in worldwide smartphone sales behind Samsung. In the US... Apple is usually #1 ahead of Samsung.

But if Apple is so worried... what about everyone else?

What must LG be thinking... since they don't sell as many smartphones as Samsung and Apple?

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Apple is #2 in worldwide smartphone sales behind Samsung. In the US... Apple is usually #1 ahead of Samsung.

But if Apple is so worried... what about everyone else?

What must LG be thinking... since they don't sell as many smartphones as Samsung and Apple?

Well they are praying for a offer from facebook....:D:D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.