Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be preparing to feature its Touch ID fingerprint sensor on updated models of the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini that will be released later this year, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo states in a new research note.
ipad_air_family_20136.jpg
We think the upgraded iPad Air will be launched earlier in 2014 than the iPad Air was in 2013. The biggest changes will be A8 processor, Touch ID (fingerprint recognition), and main camera resolution of 8MP.

...We previously thought Apple would not release a new version of the iPad mini this year, but we now think Apple will launch an upgraded version with same form factor, A8 processor and Touch ID (fingerprint recognition) to boost shipments of iPad mini with Retina display.
Regarding the next-generation iPad Air, Kuo adds that the tablet will launch at an earlier point than the original iPad Air did in November of last year. Kuo also notes that Apple is likely to cut the price of the existing Retina iPad mini, and that the newer model will feature the same form factor with an upgraded processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

The researcher also once again speaks on the possibility of the long-rumored 12.9-inch iPad, stating that Apple is actively working on the device and gearing it towards uses in entertainment and productivity. However, Kuo notes that the product is unlikely to come out in 2014, falling in line with what he stated in his previous reports from this past February and last October.

Article Link: iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini to Get Touch ID This Year

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Finally, should have been on the iPad Air. You get people used to a feature on their 5S and then they have to go back to the old way of doing it on their up to date iPad they bought the same day.

mrgulabull

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
The iPad mini needs a quality screen more than anything else. The color gamut is far behind the iPhone and full sized iPad.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
Finally! I would have bought the iPad Air already if it had touch id. I want something new, not just another iPad that is a bit more powerful and slimmer.

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
Well, I just got an iPad Air since my dad's iPad 1 (yep, you read that right) was dying and I'm giving him my iPad "3". I still have my iPhone 5 (waiting on 6) so I'm not used to the Touch ID yet. I guess I'll have to deal with an "old" iPad Air. ;)

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Lets just stick touch ID on every household item. Thieves would be screwed.

Well not really. If they can't bypass a regular passcode, then there's no difference since you need a backup passcode for Touch ID.

----------

Here's hoping they up the iPad to 2GB of RAM as well.

This years the year they kinda have to! With the A7 being bottlenecked by ram and the A8 having to have more power than the A7, it's sorta expected.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Finally, should have been on the iPad Air. You get people used to a feature on their 5S and then they have to go back to the old way of doing it on their up to date iPad they bought the same day.

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. A person can buy a 5S and still choose a cheaper iPad such as the 4 in order to save money and won't get the Touch I.D or they may choose a different brand of Tablet that has no Fingerprint sensor options at all. Either way they won't have the same convenience and functionality as their 5S. Just because Touch I.D is a great feature doesn't mean it has to be on multiple Apple products at the same time.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. A person can buy a 5S and still choose a cheaper iPad such as the 4 in order to save money and won't get the Touch I.D or they may choose a different brand of Tablet that has no Fingerprint sensor options at all. Either way they won't have the same convenience and functionality as their 5S.
You're talking about older products and products from other manufacturers. I'm talking about up to date Apple products. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Just because Touch I.D is a great feature doesn't mean it has to be on multiple Apple products at the same time.
They said the same thing about Siri before it was on the iPad, but I think consistency among newly released products would be nice.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Regarding the next-generation iPad Air, Kuo adds that the tablet will launch at an earlier point than the original iPad Air did in November of last year.

Presumably it won't launch with new A8 chip before the iPhone which only leaves Oct or Nov to avoid clash with iPhone update in Sept unless they move the iPhone update back to June/July/Aug.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
You're talking about older products and products from other manufacturers. I'm talking about up to date Apple products. You're comparing apples and oranges.
They said the same thing about Siri before it was on the iPad, but I think consistency among newly released products would be nice.

Fine, the 5C is new and current. If one buys a 5C and an iPad Air then they will be perfectly at home since neither have Touch I.D.

I won't disagree that consistency amongst newly released products would be nice but you have to realize a couple of things, their entire line of products are not released at the same time and it takes R&D and customer feedback to be certain if a feature is worth spending resources on to implement on future products. Plus it takes testing.. It's not as cut and dry as you may think.

mangonights

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
That's great and all, but I'm more interested in TouchID being added to Macs. Not having to always type passwords would be freaking amazing.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Here's hoping they also add it to the new iPod touch. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.