Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Several thousand dollars to buy and 5.5M units sold? HAHAHAH

Battery life one day or less (but better?!?! than competition?)

HAHAHAHAH

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
You only pay several thousand dollars for a watch that will be forever. Not for a watch that will be outdated after 6 months.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
So Apple is going to try and compete with the likes of Sinn, Tudor Breitling, IWC, Omega and possibly Rolex/Panerai (they are outside what I would call "several thousand" but being that vague makes anything possible)?

Good luck and such.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
On the one hand, I want to deride this article for the absurdity of suggesting a multi-thousand dollar iWatch; on the other hand this guy is so rarely wrong. He is right that watches can easily cost that, but as one commentator states, watches didn't used to grow obsolete, so I can't see Apple selling them enough to make it worth their while. A special limited run like the RED Mac Pro? Sure. A standard item you can purchase from their website or in store, I certainly hope not, Apple used to be so good at not excessively/needlessly fragmenting their product lines.

aldocg

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
I'll stick with Bulova, Movado, Rolex, and Tag Heuer. The iWatch just doesn't appeal to me.

Those 3 other brands don't deserve in a million years to be uttered in the same breath as Rolex.

It's like saying Micromax, Lava, Woxter, iPhone.

corygreenwell

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
I think an expensive watch that can be upgraded is great - Say an expensive band and then a normal priced face. The reason I bring this up is because I think there is a good amount of people still that have expensive watches and while they want a smart watch, they do not want some pebble looking $200 watch.

This is the way I read it too. The others here seem too limited in their view...like there will only be two price points, one for the smaller screen, and several thousand for the larger. I would imagine 2 price points...one for small, one for large, and a spread of bands from $30 to $thousands

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Several thousand dollars? OMG, LOL That has to be a joke. If they release a several thousand dollar watch, shares will drop to a couple hundred. There is no way this can be true.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The more I hear about these reports on the iWatch from analysts, the less I want the device. They're probably all wrong anyway.

mat25

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
"Flexible AMOLED displays with sapphire covers to protect the device from scratches."

How does that even work? It has to be one or the other, but not both.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Doesn't fit Apple's current model of high end products with mass market sales potential. They could compete with Rolex, et al but I don't see how that would generate much profit.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Oh Ming Chi Kuo, I can make up ***** too!

"The watch will have a shock function that lets you zap friends and relatives that are wearing one. The cost will be $0.99"

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Several thousand for a watch that will be obsolete in two years, sure :rolleyes:

No thanks...

I think the kind of people who are happy to spend several thousand dollars on an iWatch probably don't care. They can just buy the next one as well.

I can see some mileage in this idea. The average young girl in Japan these days walks around with a Louis Vuitton bag which probably cost $1,500+. There are tens of thousands of nouveau riche Chinese walking around (I live in Asia and see them in the outlet malls all the time buying up Rolex watches and stupidly expensive fashions.)

Sure it's not a big market in terms of numbers, but there are companies out there who seem to thrive making dumb looking swarovski crystal encrusted iPhone cases. If Apple wanted to create a "limited edition" range to cater to that market, why not? Watches aren't like phones. We've had watches for centuries, and they've always had a luxury segment.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Anyone who is willing to spend thousands of dollars on a watch will buy one that's actually WORTH thousands of dollars.

The iWatch won't be.

-t

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
If true then that means Apple is getting into the jewelry business. Apple might as well make some rings to go against Repossi or some bracelets to go against Irene Neuwirth.

And, for several thousand dollars it better be fully mechanical.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Battery life has been a major challenge for Apple when it comes to iWatch development and Kuo forecasts a 200 to 250mAh battery for the device that will provide at least a one day of operating power. Earlier reports have suggested the company is aiming for three to four days of battery life,

1 day battery life. BS. That is unApple like.

If it really did have 1 day battery life, the iWatch would suck ass. Its bad enough having to recharge smartphones every evening. Pebble would have a bit advantage with its 5 to 7 day battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.