Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 6 rumors have thus far pointed towards a device that includes a larger screen and a thinner chassis than the existing iPhone 5s. Supporting those rumors, French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translation] has shared a case maker's iPhone 6 model from Chinese case manufacturer Elam, which shows an ultra thin form factor very similar to that found in recent schematics.

The iPhone case model appears to have rounded corners and a single unified volume switch, which is different from the separate volume buttons in the iPhone 5s. It's also a slight deviation from earlier design drawings, which showed separate rectangular volume buttons, suggesting this model may come from a different source.

elamiphone6case.jpg
Though not depicted on the case model, separate rumors have pointed towards a relocated power button, either on the top left edge of the device or on the side of the device, to improve one-handed use on a larger device. Currently, the power button is located on the top right edge of the iPhone. Bezels are also not visible, but rumors have indicated they could be 10 to 20 percent thinner than the bezels of the iPhone 5s and the phone itself may be 6.5mm to 7mm thick.

Earlier this week, MacRumors published a set of renderings based on the schematics that share similarities with the case model, depicting what the finished iPhone 6 might look like.

iphone-6-side-800x536.jpg
iPhone 6 (4.7") and iPhone 6 (5.7")

Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to come in two different sizes: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. Recent rumors have indicated the 4.7 inch version will be available to ship in in the third quarter of 2014, while the larger version may ship somewhat later due to production delays.

Reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has suggested the 4.7-inch iPhone will have a 1334x750 Retina display with 326 pixels per inch, while the 5.5-inch version will have a 1920x1080 screen with 401 pixels per inch.

Along with a larger screen, both versions of the iPhone 6 are expected to include an upgraded A8 processor, Touch ID, 1GB of RAM, and camera improvements in the form of optical image stabilization.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Case Maker's Model Points to Larger Display, Ultra Thin Body

daniphils

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2013
Unified volume switch?

I doubt the unified volume switch. makes no sense to me and would look ugly.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
If they can get it thin enough, I think it's feasible that you could use a 4.7" one handed, but I really done see that happening with a 5.5" or 5.7" screen. That just seems too big... Thoughts?

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Don't you think it's entirely possible that someone just made that crappy model based on leaked schematics. #

----------

It's possible that they changed the shape of the buttons and told case makers to not cover it up by putting a block in the model.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
1GB RAM is a little bit disappointing.. i think the RAM is more critical since the cpu of the 5S runs great.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
These case rumours are worthless. They saw the same leaked schematics we did, and decided to make a bet on them being real, by designing a case based on them.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

This is nonsense. A button (any button) can be ugly or it can look fine. Unified volume switch can look ugly but so can two separate buttons. Having two separate ugly buttons might be even worse than having a single ugly button.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011

Having all streamlined buttons (volume, power) makes a slicker, neater looking design, which I am sure Mr. Ive would be all about given the sharp lines in iOS7.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It would be neat if the iPhone adopted the 3-button music/volume controls found in the current iPod nano.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
If this is true then SERIOUSLY Apple, stop making iPhones any thinner and beef up the battery!

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
I hope they don't change the power button , that being said I do hope they have the same screen to panel ratio of the lg G2 , that's one pretty front panel

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
1 GB RAM? Seriously?

And yes...better battery life. 20% better is not enough. We need 100% better!

----------

"Jony, could you squeeze in just a little more battery?" "NOOO!!! Must.. Make.. Thinner.."

Predictions on first model that is so thin it can't be held without causing injury and finger cuts?

iPhone 9?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Will they still continue 5S? I need a small phone with good battery life!

Iphone 6 will probably make everyone buy an extra battery pack!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
and every year im surprised they're still in business...

Why? It costs them 4 cents to make a case they charge $20 for.

They need their case to be out for Day 1 of the iPhone sales to make the most money. So what if they try 10 different variations? It doesn't cost them much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.