Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
PDA market...growing?

OK...all the PDA naysayers...answer me this. If the PDA market is such a terrible place to be, why are all the PC companies working so hard to enter it?

The truth is, the PDA market is in a lull because of the previous lack of viable PDAs in the market. They were/are just toys masquerading as legitimate tools.

Now, having said that, I believe the PocketPC platform is starting to mature, and I think that will be reflected soon in an uptick of consumer confidence in the PDA market. I still think Palm is entirely missing the boat, and is not long for this world.

So, here we Apple devotees sit with no real support in the PDA market. Our only solution is the anemic and dying Palm platform; or, we can choose to crossover to the PC world and begin using PocketPC, giving MS another foot in the door to the Mac world.

Apple ignores the PDA market to their own detriment.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Dell's price...

I'm not that familiar with the PocketPC platform, but I spent yesterday playing with an iPaq 3650...it seems to me that DELL's price on these units blows the iPaq out of the water. Can anyone see what possible reason there is for a $500 price difference between the top of the line iPaq and the top of the line Dell?

These units are starting to tempt me...imagine that, a devoted mac user, frustrated by the lack of mac-centric options buying his first MS OS based computer. Apple, take note.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Re: PDA market...growing?

Originally posted by Timothy
OK...all the PDA naysayers...answer me this. If the PDA market is such a terrible place to be, why are all the PC companies working so hard to enter it?

The truth is, the PDA market is in a lull because of the previous lack of viable PDAs in the market. They were/are just toys masquerading as legitimate tools.

Actually PC companies are entering this field because they are trying to do anything to keep revenues up and latch into what might be the next big thing(especially once the wireless market takes off). I would never consider current or past pda's a toy from Palm. Most of the users find them useful for the purpose they were designed. Most hacker-geeks don't understand this though and that has somewhat affected the market since they typically support them and make many of the purchasing decisions in organizations.

Now, having said that, I believe the PocketPC platform is starting to mature, and I think that will be reflected soon in an uptick of consumer confidence in the PDA market. I still think Palm is entirely missing the boat, and is not long for this world..

Palm as a platform is doing fine and still commands the majority of the market. Palm just released 5.0 and is steadily working on 6.0 which interestingly enough is drawing some comparisons to Mac OS X in terms of improvement and how previous Palm OS's will be running along with it for backward compatibility. Sony is doing a hell of job in terms of innovation with the Palm platform. Those new devices of theirs are flat out awesome...it's just too bad they're stuck on using their sonystick memory.

So, here we Apple devotees sit with no real support in the PDA market. Our only solution is the anemic and dying Palm platform; or, we can choose to crossover to the PC world and begin using PocketPC, giving MS another foot in the door to the Mac world.

Apple ignores the PDA market to their own detriment.

As I said before Palm isn't going anywhere. They're business model might change before this is all over but the platform will improve. The technology is good(and improving) and the brandname is very valuable. Sure it's not what alot of people want but I don't think anyone really knows yet what they want aside from wireless access almost anywhere in the world. The features that many have asked for typically don't fit with the formfactor and price people really want.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
All I really have to say is - eh - not all that impressive and not something I'd be interested in. I do find it odd that Dell is getting into the game, be curious to see where this goes....

D

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Syncing PocketPC with OSX

Does anyone have any experience syncing the PocketPC platform with OSX?

Never done it before, but there is this app:

http://www.pocketmac.net/

I wouldn't worry about incompatibilty with PocketPC. The fact is, these applications are designed to synchronize with a PC, and to allow third parties to program their own conduits (so somebody can build an "Enhanced Address Book", "Enhanced Calendar", etc.). Therefore, Mac developers should be able to program their own conduits (or whatever they're called in the PocketPC world) as well, to sync with iCal, Address Book, or whatever....

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Damn I never thought I would say this but, Dude I'm getting a Dell. I really think that it is cool. Now if only it will work with iSync.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Originally posted by irmongoose
If you really want a PDA, get a Sony Clie...

:rolleyes:

Or better yet, a NEWTON.. hehehehe.... yah right.

irmongoose

Why not a newton still better than any other of the so called PDA
Long live the newton.
By the way I working on a new smaller enclosure for my 130 that would make it smaller.
Cheers:D

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by Wash!!

Why not a newton still better than any other of the so called PDA
Long live the newton.
By the way I working on a new smaller enclosure for my 130 that would make it smaller.
Cheers:D

I have a white Newton MP 120, But the thing is huge it barley fit's in my pocket
I will try to find the URL with instructions on how to make it white. And I hate the Sony pda it is almost as big as the Newton.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
A white Newton cool

Originally posted by Spock

I have a white Newton MP 120, But the thing is huge it barley fit's in my pocket
I will try to find the URL with instructions on how to make it white. And I hate the Sony pda it is almost as big as the Newton.

Those are very hard to find.:cool:
If you are running jaguar and have a serial to usb adapter or a beige g3 you can synch your newton with Ical and Address book with . also there is another program that allows you to download packages (programs) in to the newton and it works with OS X.1.5 and jaguar. :D
PS. they are called NewTen 1.1.0 and NewtSync 0.2d tehy can be found on versiontracker.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.