Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Finished re-watching every season of Lost with the family last weekend. Still just really good. Not wholly self-consistent, but mighty enjoyable.

B

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finished re-watching every season of Lost with the family last weekend. Still just really good. Not wholly self-consistent, but mighty enjoyable.

B

How many hours was that? I've started watching on Netflix, got sidetracked and may stray watching again.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This show has intrigued me. Actually, I have read really positive reviews in the 'quality' press, written by reviewers whose writing I respect, and now, here, you guys also recommend this show quite strongly. Okay, I'll make a point of tracking it down when I am next home.
The positive reviews were the reason I watched True Detective as well. Before starting it, I honestly had no clue what it was about (except for a detective story, obviously :p). I had never seen a clip or an advertisement for it, and other than the 2 main actors, didn't know what it would entail. It took me a few episodes to really get into it, but by the end, I was enjoying it.

The first season was very creepy/unnerving, but season 2 is pretty awful in a variety of ways. I stopped watching weeks ago. As much as I enjoy Kevin and James as actors, I really hope this is not renewed for a third season as it already feels like the writers have run out of ideas and are just pushing the sicko button.
That's right! I remember reading your post a while back about how ridiculous it was becoming, and I completely agree. I actually should've stopped watching back then as well. I think this show would've made a great single season story, and just ended with the season 1 finale. But season 2 has been awful. And apparently it's already been renewed for a third.

Saw an ad for Penny Dreadful starting on May 11, Showtime, labeled as a psychological/horror thriller. Anyone have any interest in this or know about it? I'll probably catch the first episode to evaluate.
I saw a trailer for Penny Dreadful as well, it looks interesting. Maybe like a mix of American Horror Story and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
When they first started, I was really enthusiastic about Resurrection and liked Believe, but thought the former was better. Now, Resurrection is starting to drag a little although I'm still into the story and want things to start popping. Believe has actually gotten better relative to Resurrection, but I mentioned in the dedicated Believe thread, that the kid on her quests to help people can be a bit annoying. I say that while I realize this aspect of her character is central to the story in some manner. So I'm still hanging in there with both of them. :D

That's interesting about Believe. I didn't expect it to be one of those case-of-the-week type of shows. But I agree with you about Resurrection. I'm expecting some big twist or reveal soon, but it has dragged a bit lately.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How many hours was that? I've started watching on Netflix, got sidetracked and may stray watching again.

It's about 90 hours for the ~120 episodes. We started around Christmas break and just got done. Typically 2-3 episodes per weekend and the occasional bigger binge during time off.

----------

I'm expecting some big twist or reveal soon, but it has dragged a bit lately.

Last night's episode wasn't bad on that front. A significant reveal and a twist.

Still dragging a bit for me I preferred the French The Returned with a similar storyline.

B

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Caught up on seasons 1-3 of Girls... I can't wait to start watching The Wire which is said to be the best TV show ever.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
The Americans & Vikings: both having a great second season, my favorites at the moment

Series i'm still on the line:
Believe: not bad so far, walking the line between "case of the week" and "season storyline" gonna be difficult though
Crisis: the 1st episode made it look like a teenager drama series, after episode 3 this is more of a thriller series after my taste
The 100: obvious teenage cast sci-fi series but actually has it's moments (and interesting set up) and is willing to kill of members

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's about 90 hours for the ~120 episodes. We started around Christmas break and just got done. Typically 2-3 episodes per weekend and the occasional bigger binge during time off.

Lost was not perfect, but it was as close to perfect as I've ever seen in this kind of show. The writers were incredibly talented in getting me invested in every character. And unlike usually, I had no problem with back flashes and forward flashes, the first ffs that I can remember. :) Yes, I need to watch it again!

The polar bear, I want to say it had escaped from a zoo on the island, yes? :):)

Last edited:

Jbp915

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2013
Midwest
watching Ugly Americans Season 2, like it so far. Thinking about watching Archer after finishing this.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I watched a couple pilots for new series that started this week.

Turn (AMC) - A Revolutionary War-period show that's supposed to be the story of "America's first spy ring." It was slow to start, and much of the 1.5 hours was spent on setting up characters, but it seems like it could be headed somewhere interesting. Its hard to tell though if the story will be unfolding fast or slow. Hopefully the former.

Silicon Valley (HBO) - A comedy about programmers trying to make it big in Silicon Valley. But it wasn't very funny, in my opinion. And the writing just wasn't very good. Granted it was just the first episode, but it seems like a poor imitation of The Big Bang Theory.

Last night's episode wasn't bad on that front. A significant reveal and a twist.

Still dragging a bit for me I preferred the French The Returned with a similar storyline.

B
I agree, the twist at the end of the last episode made things more interesting.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Silicon Valley (HBO) - A comedy about programmers trying to make it big in Silicon Valley. But it wasn't very funny, in my opinion. And the writing just wasn't very good. Granted it was just the first episode, but it seems like a poor imitation of The Big Bang Theory.

I'll give it a few more weeks myself just because it has the promise of ending up like Office Space.

Honestly though, the similar themed Betas (Amazon originals) was faster paced and funnier.

B

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Just finished up the first season of The Killing. Very exceptional procedural. Also plowing through the third season of Breaking Bad.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My current watch list (in no particular order):
*Game of Thrones
*Believe
*Resurrection
*The Americans
*Vampire Diaries
*Modern Family
*Masters of Sex
*Walking Dead
*Homeland
*Orphan Black (BBCA)
*Downton Abbey (PBS)
*Sherlock Holmes (PBS)
*The Bridge
*Ghost Hunters
*Fargo (Limited run series on FX qued up premier tonight)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Shows that I am currently watching or finished:

1) The Americans
2) Weeds
3) Breaking Bad
4) The Killing
5) Portlandia
6) Girls
7) The Borgias
8) Bones
9) Castle
10) Sherlock
11) House of Cards

Shows that I plan to watch at some point

1) The Wire
2) Mad Men
3) Trophy Wife
4) Deadwood
5) Game of Thrones
6) The Sopranos
7) Twin Peaks
8) Orphan Black
9) Homeland
10) The Good Wife
11) House
12) Better Call Saul (coming this fall 2014)
13) The Bridge
and probably some others I haven't thought of.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Forgot to add:
*XFiles- 6 episodes in.
*Lost- 2 episodes in, this is probably the best story telling I've ever enjoyed on TV- drama, explosive events, great cinematography, interesting characters with backgrounds, white sand, blue water, green jungle, a monster and a polar bear! :D

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
My wife, daughter, and I are currently watching Downton Abbey.

How do you like it? It's one of my favorite shows on TV right now. Currently my line up is:

Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Sherlock
Parks and Recreation

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Caught the premier of the limited series, Fargo on FX. This was pretty good. If you remember the movie, this is not the same story, but it has the same tone. Billy Bob Thornton has always been a favorite actor and he is menacing in this. I'll keep watching! BTW, I lived in Minnesota for 25 years and I don't remember everyone talking that way, at least not that exaggerated. :)

af473a33-ed87-4515-a622-8fbe3135e5fb_Fargo_CL_0872_firstlook1.jpg

If I make comparisons, Martin Freeman = William H. Macy
Billy Bob= Steve Buscemi

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lost- Season 1: 6 Episodes in, still incredibly good. They found the cave, fresh water, Adam and Eve. The first show I can remember where flashbacks did not bug me. :D:D

If I do anymore "Lost" talk I'll try to put it in the Season 6 Lost Spoiler thread last replied to by me in 2011 saying I was starting to watch reruns on Netflix. Well, I got distracted but am back at it again. :D

Last edited:

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Just completed all three seasons of The Killing. Wonderful series. Just started watching season 1 of Homeland.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.