Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I completely understand what you're saying. I tried to approach this topic as humbly as possible.

So whats up? Have you bought a guitar from the Goodwill Thrift store yet. Have you figured out the difference between a C and G major scale yet.

I notice all these people here are still taking about buying software and other gear. This is just like in the photography forums, they all talk about buying stuff as if owning a $5K rig makes you a better artist.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
1: Buy Logic Pro
2: Buy a Midi Keyboard
3: Connect the midi keyboard to your mac
You're done! You now have all you need to create music on the mac! If you have the knowhow you will have no end to what tunes you can create!

Have fun!!

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
I have some very simple advice for you, to get started on a minimum budget:

1) Use Garageband. it's free with your mac! Eventually you can upgrade to Logic (fantastic for making electronic music, and a great value too) but stick with Garageband for now (because it's free, and if you get Logic later, you can import all your Garageband projects into it!)

2) Buy a basic midi controller of some kind. You can get a good basic one for $100 or $200. The KIND of midi controller depends on your musical style and abilities. I would suggest a simple keyboard controller, like the M-audio keystation series. They offer fantastic value. It might be nice to get one with knobs or faders, but getting a basic keyboard controller will absolutely suffice (and will cost less)

3) Learn some theory and techniques on playing and composing music, as well as audio recording on computers (e.g. using DAW's (digital audio workstation, which includes Garageband). For this, you can talk to people you know if they possess these skills, or take lessons, but the internet has TONS of free lessons and advice and tutorials. Look on youtube, look at websites like soundonsound.com, download some free e-books, etc. You can buy some good magazines too (e.g. computer music, future music, etc.). There are many free or cheap resources for you to draw upon.

Although I learned how to play music as a child, I started making music with an old windows computer, but I really got into it when I bought a Mac that had Garageband on it. And now, I make music using a variety of programs (mostly Logic and Ableton).

You can totally do this, and you can totally do it cheaply too! It's fun living in 2013! If you have more questions just ask! :)

GALENOS

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
As far as a DAW , Im not sure if any ones aware of this but I thought I share my experiences and what has worked for me. I can speak from experience when I was a beginner. I was I did some research online , and found a program that was really good and pretty intuitive software I became pretty decent in a few days.

Which is most important to me for beginners is ease of use. I wasn't expecting it to be so great but it really surprised me. Works very well for my midi controller and pads.. (MPK 25) I bought it from this website here . I used them as a beginner and used for a very long time.. I still use it today from time to time.

Also very cheap which is why I bought it at the time im all to familat with "The struggle" lol.. but other programs like protools and logic are good buut thats gonn run you thousands for sure..

would check out either linustectips build for his work station. The only thing I would change about this build is to use Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX mother board. Or you could go with a ASUS P9X79-E WS board either way it kicks ass ( this build I use know and cost like 3,500$) but its really good. But the program I mentioned ealier runs on any "regular use" computer so the barrier to entry is much lower I think it would be great for you..

Hope this helps!:D:apple::cool:

Last edited:

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
MIDI keyboard?? Ive got iPad Air and Logic Pro plus two 27" iMacs with over 600 plugins of sound manipulation. My iPad connects wireless to Logic Pro and it's used as instruments player, mixer and anything you can imagine. Same on MacBook Pro retina if I travel. Also tabletop and impc apps for iPad if I want power but to be very light. All wireless. All neat. Good pairs of speakers and dre beats. And I'm set. On the go. At the studio. Can't have better then that.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
MIDI keyboard?? Ive got iPad Air and Logic Pro plus two 27" iMacs with over 600 plugins of sound manipulation. My iPad connects wireless to Logic Pro and it's used as instruments player, mixer and anything you can imagine. Same on MacBook Pro retina if I travel. Also tabletop and impc apps for iPad if I want power but to be very light. All wireless. All neat. Good pairs of speakers and dre beats. And I'm set. On the go. At the studio. Can't have better then that.

... unless you want actually play a real physical instrument, which I would recommend the OP consider. Otherwise, we're simply recycling other's ideas. :D

Then again, I readily acknowledge there are many ways to approach music, so perhaps I spoke too soon and harshly. I just feel that, at some point, being able to realize the sounds and melodies one hears in one's head becomes the reason one continues to create music. Familiarity with (and, if we're dreaming, mastery of) an instrument frees us from the mundane.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
... unless you want actually play a real physical instrument, which I would recommend the OP consider. Otherwise, we're simply recycling other's ideas. :D

Then again, I readily acknowledge there are many ways to approach music, so perhaps I spoke too soon and harshly. I just feel that, at some point, being able to realize the sounds and melodies one hears in one's head becomes the reason one continues to create music. Familiarity with (and, if we're dreaming, mastery of) an instrument frees us from the mundane.

I've got an mpc but prefer to use iPad Air as an instrument. Might but the mpc case with pads for it though when on the fly. Otherwise an additional instrument creates an clutter which translates to distraction to me. I like working in neat and minimalistic environment. Unless in real size studio..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.