Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magarif

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Belgrade, Serbia
Facetime/iMessage

Hi, I want to say thanks for everybody… i made a ML install on iMac (x1600) without MLpost factor. It works great. My question is: Does anybody knows what is main reason for FaceTime/iMesages not to work? Can somebody explain which part of mac communicates with apple server?

bx5a

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
iMac 5,1

I just tried the x1600 method for MBP specified by gpatpandp on my iMac 5,1 with 128 MB x1600. It doesn't seem to work. That is, the installation goes fine but I can't get graphics to work. Did everything the same and repaired permissions.

EDIT: fixed by rebuilding kext cache. Also replaced the display with a Full HD one from RealMacMods, added an SSD and 3 GB RAM. Feels like an entirely new computer.

Last edited:

kasimir61

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
For me not work - but i am basc in Mac

Hi Hackerwayne, sorry for my Question here. I have all done you show in Video on Youtube, but get by starting allways the Message, you use 10.6.8 but must have newer 10.7 to start this ????

Hmm, but icant not go higher than snow Leopard and all Updates - this is, why i wish to have mounntain Lion to install ;-)

Here are my MAC Datas..

Model Family:
iMac
Processor(s): 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDram
Display:
Size:
20"
Finish:
Matte
Resolution:
1680x1050
Backlight:
CCFL
Brand:
Apple
Wireless:
802.11a/b/g/n
Color(s):
White
Original OS:
Mac OS X 10.4.7
Graphics:
ATI Radeon X1600 (128MB)
Base Storage:
250GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive:
8x DL Superdrive
Model Number:
A1207
Sales Number(s):
MA589LL
Machine Number(s):
iMac5,1
Dimensions:
18.6in x 19.4 in x 7.4 in
Weight:
22 lb
Production:
Sep 6, 2006 - Aug 7, 2007
Factory:
Ireland
Production Year:
Production Week:
29 (July)
Production Number:

So means this - i have no Luck to update this one to Lion Mountain ??

Can you or any here help me with a little help forward, thank you very much and greets from Berlin in Germany..

Kasi

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Are you sure it's a 32bit CoreDuo that you have, not a 64bit Core2Duo? That's what you need as a minimum from Lion 10.7...

If it's a 2.16GHz C2D T7400 that you have (and that's what I expect to find in your 20" iMac5,1), indeed, you'll need to install & run Lion 10.7.5 (it's fully supported on that system) to be able to use MLPF and install ML on your iMac.

Last edited:

kasimcee

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
New fan of Mac/OS X

Hi, I think this is a WONDERFUL thread. I just spent my whole past weekend fixing my wife's old white early 2008 Macbook. I have pasted the details below. I discovered it was corrupted from Disk Utility and, using DiskWarrior, I was able to rebuild the directory. I never realized how amazing this old machine is. I did invest in upgrading the memory to 4gb (I wish I did the 6gb upgrade but I discovered afterwards that so many people have validated that its possible), but I never realized the performance boost I was expecting. However, after fixing the corrupt installation, organizing her files and clearing a lot of duplicate files and making space, the system is flawless. In fact, I'm happy and sad about it because part of me wanted an excuse to invest in a new Macbook Air but after using this, I see no need and I'm enjoying using her old Macbook more than my new Dell. Long story short, I spent hours gathering everything for installing Mountain Lion on my system and after failing to open MLPF successfully, I realized I missed the "Lion" requirement for getting ML on my system. I wanted to ask, if I have 10.6.8, then what is the most efficient method for me to get to ML or even Mavericks by now? Do I have to first upgrade to Lion, and then to ML or Mvrk? If so, how do I do that?

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

paul4tune

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
mac pro 1.1

when would the update be available for mac pro 1.1,i have a mac pro 1.1 2x3GHZ QUAD CORE PROCESSOR 16 GIG RAM
i cant use some of my programs because i cant update to mountain lion i think its a disgrace forcing people to buy new computers

thanks for any help given

ShiryuX

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Luxembourg
iMessage/FaceTime & 10.8.5 Upgrade

Hello all

I've been away from the thread for a while as after having resolved some issues my iMacs were running great! But recently I'm experiencing some issues with FaceTime/iMessage on them and could use some help.

I have two 24" late-2006 iMacs which are running MLPF 0.3 with 10.8.4.
After having recently acquired an iPad, I could finally FaceTime with one of the iMacs (my general use one, the other one is for family use).
But now both iMacs don't have FaceTime working anymore for some reason, even though both have accounts associated with working iMessage/FaceTime devices (iPhone/iPad).

Does anyone know a workaround to getting both (but most importantly FaceTime) to work? It would be a great addition as Skype seems to be very unstable in quality as of late.

Also, I've seen that there's a possibility to upgrade to 10.8.5 in the thread. Could anyone link me to a good guide or a post explaining how to do it? I would love to see Mavericks work on them, but they're a no-go without Graphic Acceleration (so SFOTT is out of the question if I read correctly).

Thanks in advance for the help all!

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
when would the update be available for mac pro 1.1,i have a mac pro 1.1 2x3GHZ QUAD CORE PROCESSOR 16 GIG RAM
i cant use some of my programs because i cant update to mountain lion i think its a disgrace forcing people to buy new computers

thanks for any help given
Your machine is kind of Mavericks compatible. Everything will work. Search for it over here, and google for SFOTT.

[Post being deleted]

I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Hello all

I've been away from the thread for a while as after having resolved some issues my iMacs were running great! But recently I'm experiencing some issues with FaceTime/iMessage on them and could use some help.

I have two 24" late-2006 iMacs which are running MLPF 0.3 with 10.8.4.
After having recently acquired an iPad, I could finally FaceTime with one of the iMacs (my general use one, the other one is for family use).
But now both iMacs don't have FaceTime working anymore for some reason, even though both have accounts associated with working iMessage/FaceTime devices (iPhone/iPad).

Does anyone know a workaround to getting both (but most importantly FaceTime) to work? It would be a great addition as Skype seems to be very unstable in quality as of late.

Also, I've seen that there's a possibility to upgrade to 10.8.5 in the thread. Could anyone link me to a good guide or a post explaining how to do it? I would love to see Mavericks work on them, but they're a no-go without Graphic Acceleration (so SFOTT is out of the question if I read correctly).

Thanks in advance for the help all!

You can use SFOTT, but you will need to fix the graphics afterwards. (some pages back there's a guide including the files you'll need)

However you better should wait some days as MLforAll, one of the original developers announced a new version which will feature everything that is missing in MLPF.

rawanodeh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
URGENT. how to delete and add space after its installed?

So i followed your guide and successfully installed 10.8.4 on my macbook mid 2007.
Anyway, i have 3 partitions at this moment
"original"
"install"
"ML"

and i think ML is basically the original thing now
but it says "free up some space" hense its only 9gb
can i delete all the other partitions?

THANK YOU in advance.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Yep. But as a whole lot of MacBooks, Mac mini's and even iMac's have those onboard graphics, it concern a great deal of users. I'd say there are a lot more of those then mentioned Mac Pro's or iMac's (though the last group is probably more adventurous with this).

Too bad this project has died some time ago. Even the special website is down (404), not even an upgrade of MLPF to support 10.8.5

Too bad....

If you use MLPF 10.8.4, 10.8.5 works fine. No difference in graphics drivers. But it does suck that Wayne seems to have fallen off the face of the earth :(

Mineninja

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
I got ML on my MacBook Pro 17" 2,1 and it works perfectly! The only things that don't work is Photo Booth and resizing the partition. I tried erasing the other drive and copying the ML drive, I tried booting into it and I was welcomed by a kernel panic. Right now I'm using the other drive as storage (Going to install Snow Leopard then Lion), but it hasn't got anything. I really want to resize the partition of Mountain Lion to 50GB in my 160 GB hard drive:mad::mad::mad:

Pictures:http://prntscr.com/3cfiim
http://prntscr.com/3cfj4s
http://prntscr.com/3cfjkf
http://prntscr.com/3cfk0s
http://prntscr.com/3cfkcu
http://prntscr.com/3cfklo
http://prntscr.com/3cfkxc

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
RE: NEW Security Update 2014-002 (Mountain Lion) !

F.Y.I.

FOR ALL those running/utilizing the "NON MLPF" Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5 method on their unsupported ATI X1600 Inboard Graphics Macs, be advised that the Mountain Lion Security Update 2014-002 released earlier today WILL BRICK YOUR SYSTEM as it replaces both the ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext as well as the OpenCL.framework folder respectively.

Before applying this security update, you will need to back up your current system or at the very least, back up these specific files/folders and have either a clone or a bootable OS X 10.6. or 10.7 partition to boot from once you have applied the update. When you are booted to your alternate system, use Kext Wizard to put back both kext files and return (drag and drop OR copy and paste) the patched OpenCL.framework folder into the System/Library/Frameworks folder on your main OS X 10.8.5 system. Upon completion your Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5 system will work exactly in the same manner (perfectly) as it did before applying/installing this new security update.

Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Mountain Lion Security Update 2014-002 released earlier today ran without problems on my "MLPF Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5" 2007 mini (Intel GMA 950).

Fraludio

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
I'm very new to all of this so bear with me.

I want to install Mountain Lion (I got it legally from the app store) in my old macbook early 2008 (2.4 GHz 64 bit Core 2 Duo T8300, 4 GB RAM, Intel x3100).

Are the first post instructions still valid?. If not, where are the updated instructions?. I'm still reading the whole thread, but it will take me a bit to read all the 151 pages.

Thanks.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
I'm very new to all of this so bear with me.

I want to install Mountain Lion (I got it legally from the app store) in my old macbook early 2008 (2.4 GHz 64 bit Core 2 Duo T8300, 4 GB RAM, Intel x3100).

Are the first post instructions still valid?. If not, where are the updated instructions?. I'm still reading the whole thread, but it will take me a bit to read all the 151 pages.

Thanks.

Theoretically they are still valid (just a bit struggling concerning 10.8.5), but however I would recommend to wait, as the next version is in the pipe and can be expected to be released within a month (I think). For news you can check the developers twitter profile.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Thank you thank you thank you really you just gave my 5 year old MacBook (4,1 4 GB RAM GMA X3100) a new life :D. I got everything working on 10.8.5 (except SMB file sharing).
Apart from that I've been running this really smooth for two days and I'm seriously thinking to upgrade my Snow Leopard partition with ML and then apply the MLPostfactor to it like I did. Now I want to know how stable is this is this like a "Hackintosh" on a real Mac :D What makes MLPostFactor work? Does it installs another boot loader or something? So far I'm not getting any kernel panics or anything. I just want to know how stable this actually is because this is my main MacBook and I use it every day for college, and runs really great on ML and the how energy efficient this is? Sorry for these awkward questions. :eek:

Cryder

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I have an iMac 20" C2D 2,16 with ATI x1600 running 10.8.4 MLPF. Do I have to do anything special to update to 10.8.5 with a combo/non-combo update? ¿Or just I have to boot from MLPF Install partition and apply settings for 10.8.4?

Thanks.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
[…]
Now I want to know how stable is this is this like a "Hackintosh" on a real Mac :D What makes MLPostFactor work? Does it installs another boot loader or something? So far I'm not getting any kernel panics or anything. I just want to know how stable this actually is because this is my main MacBook and I use it every day for college, and runs really great on ML and the how energy efficient this is? Sorry for these awkward questions. :eek:

It's reported to work great, and so it does, but you should keep in mind that virtually ANYTHING can break it as the code which makes it work is beta-software (from Mountain Lion DP1 & some Lion files).
This is necessary because proper drivers for your GPU have never been released for the 64bit platform, so the whole system need to be run with a 32bit kernel and as the only ML 32 bit files are from DP1 they are used.
This also means that some of them aren't optimized at all, while they still work fine. However concerning power consumption it should be the same.

Apart all that it might change soon. One of the developers was able to enable accidental released beta 64bit graphics drivers for Mountain Lion, and once he releases them you will be able to run nearly stock Mountain Lion (and possibly even Mavericks). Check for his progress over here.

----------

I have an iMac 20" C2D 2,16 with ATI x1600 running 10.8.4 MLPF. Do I have to do anything special to update to 10.8.5 with a combo/non-combo update? ¿Or just I have to boot from MLPF Install partition and apply settings for 10.8.4?

Thanks.

As your system basically works you should wait until there's an easy way to do this, which properly will be available soon. If you don't want to wait search the thread (last 5 pages or so) for the guide on how to install stock Mountain Lion with ATI X1600 graphics.

santillan21

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
iMessage Fix

I can't get to activate iMessage and FaceTime, it gives me a code to call Apple Care. Any fixes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.