Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2K Games today announced that Civilization: Beyond Earth, the next entry in the popular Civilization strategy game franchise, is coming to the Mac alongside releases Windows and Linux this fall.

Set in a science-fiction-themed future, the game will allow players to select one of eight different expedition sponsors that are looking to colonize alien planets in order to establish a new civilization. Similar to previous titles in the series, gameplay will center around building large armies and structures as well as researching advanced technologies. Civilization: Beyond Earth also features an enhanced quest system, unit customization, and support for up to 8 players in multiplayer.
As part of an expedition sent to find a home beyond Earth, you will write the next chapter for humanity as you lead your people into a new frontier and create a new civilization in space. Explore and colonize an alien planet, research new technologies, amass mighty armies, build incredible Wonders and shape the face of your new world. As you embark on your journey you must make critical decisions. From your choice of sponsor and the make-up of your colony, to the ultimate path you choose for your civilization, every decision opens up new possibilities.
The past two titles in the series, Civilization V and Civilization IV, were also released for Mac in 2010 and 2006, respectively. Those titles were developed with the help of Aspyr, which has published multiple major gaming titles for the Mac, including Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and SimCity 4. Currently, it is unknown whether Aspyr will help develop Civilization: Beyond Earth for Mac or if the series’ original developer, Firaxis Games will work on the port.

- Civilization IV can be downloaded from the Mac App Store, Aspyr’s GameAgent digital store, and Steam for $19.99.
- Civilization V can be downloaded from the Mac App Store, Aspyr’s GameAgent digital store, and Steam for $29.99.

Article Link: Civilization: Beyond Earth Coming to Mac This Fall

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I've been waiting for this for years. I've always loved Alpha Centauri more than Civ. This is essentially AC without the lore, as EA owns the rights to AC.

I hope Firaxis is doing the port themselves, as it would probably mean we'd get patches on all platforms released at the same time. Aspyr does a fine job, but I hate booting into Windows to play with PC friends when versions are out of sync.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Nah...

I've been waiting for this for years. I've always loved Alpha Centauri more than Civ. This is essentially AC without the lore, as EA owns the rights to AC.

I hope Firaxis is doing the port themselves, as it would probably mean we'd get patches on all platforms released at the same time. Aspyr does a fine job, but I hate booting into Windows to play with PC friends when versions are out of sync.

I trust aspyr, but I don't know about firaxis' abilities when it comes to objective c and mad development. With a Linux version also being baked, I fear that it'll be some "general, run on all systems" code, not optimized for any platform, not using the features that are unique to the Mac.

Just hoping it won't be a ruse, like cd project red's the witcher, which actually runs trough wine.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I fear that it'll be some "general, run on all systems" code, not optimized for any platform, not using the features that are unique to the Mac.

Is there a list of games that do use Mac features? I mostly stick to Steam for my games...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Every single Feral game

Is there a list of games that do use Mac features? I mostly stick to Steam for my games...

Every single Feral interactive games uses Mac unique features, and a lot of Aspyr games do as well, including Civ5. The Mac App Store version uses in app purchases, and all versions use quicktime APIs for video playback and unique NS objective C calls, like calls to Grand Central Dispatch for better threading.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Day 1. I have been day 1 with all the past Civs and a space one is going to be sweet if done right. Can be touchy sometimes.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have spent many hours playing Civilization since I can remember, and in different platforms. I love this game and am definitely buying it. Are there any screenshots we can have a look at?

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I convene the Planetary Concil.
Agenda:
Elect Planetary Governor

smac.png

Vote for me or else!​

slime73

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
I have spent many hours playing Civilization since I can remember, and in different platforms. I love this game and am definitely buying it. Are there any screenshots we can have a look at?

There are a few screenshots of one of the Biomes here: http://www.civilization.com/#screenshots

And an interview with the game's lead designers here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/c...-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

Some fun trivia, Will Miller (one of the lead designers) used to be a co-host for the old official InsideMacGames.com podcast, almost a decade ago. I'm willing to bet he's part of the reason they're releasing the Mac version at the same time as on Windows.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
There are a few screenshots of one of the Biomes here: http://www.civilization.com/#screenshots

And an interview with the game's lead designers here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/c...-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

Some fun trivia, Will Miller (one of the lead designers) used to be a co-host for the old official InsideMacGames.com podcast, almost a decade ago. I'm willing to bet he's part of the reason they're releasing the Mac version at the same time as on Windows.

That looks dark and cool! :) Thanks for the links.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
The leaked screenshots shows new and improved Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. Hopefully, it won't be too combat oriented.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

Fully agree!
Alpha centauri had the advantage of not needing to consider "facts" (such as national sensibilities) and could thus focus on the gameplay.

RGDS,

Clocknova

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
Lets just hope they don't spend the next several years nickel and diming us with DLC that should have been in the game from the beginning. If they do, I'm going to have to wait at least five years, when the complete package goes on sale for $30, before I can play this. I'm only just now getting into Civ V.

brainkilla

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2013
Every single Feral interactive games uses Mac unique features, and a lot of Aspyr games do as well, including Civ5. The Mac App Store version uses in app purchases, and all versions use quicktime APIs for video playback and unique NS objective C calls, like calls to Grand Central Dispatch for better threading.

Well, game like this is probably developed upon a common OpenGL foundation, and then tweaked a bit for every platform. That's not necessarily bad, but it might not offer all bells and whistles Mac as a platform can offer; still, it will be most probably much better than any s*itty Cider ports other companies charge an arm and a leg for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.