Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new set of leaks showing alleged manufacturing molds and chassis sketches of the iPhone 6 have surfaced on Chinese microblogging site Weibo [Google Translate, via GforGames].

iphone6_chasis1.jpg
iphone6_chasis2.jpg
The photos are said to come from a factory belonging to Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn, as the first set of images show very detailed drawings of the chassis for a smartphone-type device, while the second set images are said to be of the manufacturing die used for Apple’s next-generation iPhone.

iphone6_molds_die2-800x528.jpg
While the validity of the images cannot be confirmed, the leak follows a number of others in the past few months. Last month, another set of images posted on Weibo depicted an alleged iPhone 6 model under development at Foxconn, while Japanese magazine MacFan published alleged design drawings of what appeared to be 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhone 6 models. This was followed by a photo reportedly showing cases designed for the larger next-generation iPhone that were consistent with the design drawings.

Apple is expected to ship the iPhone 6 later this year, which has been heavily rumored to come in two different sizes: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. Recent reports have noted that the smaller 4.7 inch version will ship in the third quarter of 2014, while the larger version may ship later this year or early next year due to production challenges.

Along with a larger screen, both models of the next-generation iPhone are said to include a thinner design, new A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor, 1GB of RAM, and an improved camera with optical image stabilization.

Article Link: Alleged Images of iPhone 6 Chassis and Manufacturing Molds Surface

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Blurry AND a very convincing mould? 2-for-1 there.

(Ironic than since Cook said Apple was "doubling down", we've had around twice as many leaks!)

Last edited:

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
This A8 chip better be spiffy. I'm surprised this new phone will still have 1gb of ram.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
So can anyone read any new information from this? I'm trying to figure out screen size or thickness but the pictures' quality is too low.

It looks like the sides are angled rather than completely rounded like in the other supposed leak and the renders based on them.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I have to say i'm absolutely loving the validity of all these rumours, it's like they've undoubled down on security at apple.

The larger iPhone looks like the absolute perfect size for me from the back and am hoping an edge to edge display is in the works.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wait... molds for what? I thought the iPhone's aluminum body was fashioned from a solid piece of aluminum? So the 6 is going plastic on us?

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
This A8 chip better be spiffy. I'm surprised this new phone will still have 1gb of ram.

I am like you regarding the 1GB RAM. My guess is they are either squeezing every ounce of battery life out of it or they have not been able to bring the power consumption down enough to allow more RAM.

Either way, I believe power consumption plays a major role when deciding RAM.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

I am like you regarding the 1GB RAM. My guess is they are either squeezing every ounce of battery life out of it or they have not been able to bring the power consumption down enough to allow more RAM.

Either way, I believe power consumption plays a major role when deciding RAM.

The 1 gig of ram was nothing more than a guess from an analyst, it means nothing.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
If this was true, the iPhone won't have rectangular or rounded edges but rather something like 45 degree edges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.