Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is negotiating with wireless carriers to raise the price of the iPhone 6 by $100, claims Jefferies analyst Peter Misek (Via StreetInsider). Carriers initially are refusing to negotiate on the iPhone's $199 base price, but they may not be able to resist as the iPhone 6 is shaping up to be 2014's blockbuster handset.
"The possibility may at first seem far-fetched in light of investor concerns regarding possible carrier subsidy and handset price cuts due to smartphone saturation and lack of differentiation," Misek comments. "But we think this general lack of differentiation could be the reason why Apple may be able to get a price increase. Carriers realize that the iPhone 6 will likely be the only headline-worthy high-end phone launched this year and that they will lose subs if they do not offer it."
iphone6.jpg
Apple is expected to ship the iPhone 6 later this year, with rumors suggesting the phone will be available with a 4.7-inch touchscreen display at first. A larger 5.5-inch version may follow at the end of this year or early next year.

Along with a larger display, the next-generation iPhone may include a thinner design, Apple's new A8 processor, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, 1GB of RAM, and an improved camera with optical image stabilization. The iPhone 6 is expected to run iOS 8, which may feature a new Healthbook app, improved Maps and a possible Siri API.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Negotiating with Carriers for $100 Price Increase on iPhone 6

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
I always buy my phones off-contract. I hope it doesn't get raised by $100 here in Australia, $869 starting price is already too much when you consider the iPad is $598.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Total BS

No way they increase their prices (especially now that there's more competitors).

Plus, let's look at the source of this "info".

Besides, when was the last time you saw Apple *increase* the price of an already established product?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's just too much competition and good phones out there. If Apple ups the price, they're just getting greedy and will reduce the overall interest in the iPhone 6. Its a huge mistake imo

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I would accept a price increase if they double the flash memory. 32gb should be the base model...

Smeehehe

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2014
With carrier subsidies ending, Apple needs to be LOWERING the price rather than INCREASING it...Oh well, well see how well it does when people are forced to finance the iphone rather than upgrade via a subsidized price.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This phone better ****** gold bricks if they are going to increase the price

People who want an iPhone will still get one, given that Apple's the only company producing it.

What I don't understand is why carriers are opposed to increasing the price by $100? Maybe my reading comprehension is poor - but does this mean the iPhone is going to cost $100 more overall, Apple is actually asking carriers to subsidise it less (good for carriers, right?), or they are demanding $100 more from carriers, who are then forced to absorb the difference? :confused:

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The only time this would be acceptable is if they double the base storage. Even then, sounds crazy.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I don't understand the news that comes out of America WRT carriers. A price tag like '$199' (as quoted) surely means nothing unless you know what the package you're getting with that is, what the monthly cost is, how long the contract is, etc.

In the UK, carriers offer many different packages of minutes, texts and data, and each has a different monthly price and up front price.

I also don't understand the negotiations that go on between carriers and Apple. Don't Apple just set a price on their phones and let carriers set up different packages for it?

rammes

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
so, first they say in a presentation that the price of their phones is to high, and then they make one that's even more expensive. #doesnotcompute :eek:

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
If true i am jumping to the S5. I've stayed with the iPhone, even though my favorite version was the 3gs. The iphone 5 has been horrid. The UI freezes all the time, the tall but skinny form is laughable.

and now adding 100$ because they are widening. Unfortunately, for myself, i will jump ship. I know many others will go with the i6 and thats fine. But for myself, i believe upping it 100$ is just greed.

EDIT: Those 8.1's look great ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.