Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
When I see one, I just smile because they are so darn cute and I wish I had one.

Especially with gas prices now at $3.90 a gallon in my area.

My 2013 nissan sentra gets up to 50 mpg on the highway sometimes. And i can fit 4 other people in it as well as storage in the trunk.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
My 2013 nissan sentra gets up to 50 mpg on the highway sometimes. And i can fit 4 other people in it as well as storage in the trunk.

Oh, I'm quite content with my good old Toyota Matrix (five speed) which averages about 36 mpg around town in the summer, and close to 50 mpg highway driving.

Smart cars are thrifty vehicles but am guessing one would get bogged down in snow pretty quickly (do they make snow tires for them?) so I don't think it's an option for winter driving in my area.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Smart cars are thrifty vehicles but am guessing one would get bogged down in snow pretty quickly (do they make snow tires for them?) so I don't think it's an option for winter driving in my area.

I've seen a number of them driving around Edmonton, Alberta during the winter. And yes, they do sell winter tires for them.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Whitehorse to Inuvik… In the winter …. Link

" It can, with an experienced driver, handle the worst winter conditions to be found public roads in Canada. If it can handle the road to Inuvik in January, there’s no doubt in my mind that a Smart Fortwo can handle winter in your town."

That road is 1200km, for the record.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Whitehorse to Inuvik… In the winter …. Link

" It can, with an experienced driver, handle the worst winter conditions to be found public roads in Canada. If it can handle the road to Inuvik in January, there’s no doubt in my mind that a Smart Fortwo can handle winter in your town."

That road is 1200km, for the record.

Now, that's impressive. My only concern is this comment:

Drifting snow was the culprit; it’s hard to see, and once you drive in deeper snow, the smart is pulled sharply off the road with little chance of regaining control. It’s unlikely that the cars could have freed themselves without a tow.

We've had 180" of snow here since November. Still two feet on the ground in the woods and loads of snowbanks still melting.

The snowplows don't hit my road until mid-morning. My Matrix (with four snow tires) can easily make the 2-mile trek to the main highway through up to 12 inches of fresh snow. Wonder if the Smart car could do the same in such conditions.

I've seen plenty of them driven around by the summer people over at Bay Harbor in Petoskey (a nearby town). But have never seen one on the road in the winter.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Now, that's impressive. My only concern is this comment:

Drifting snow was the culprit; it’s hard to see, and once you drive in deeper snow, the smart is pulled sharply off the road with little chance of regaining control. It’s unlikely that the cars could have freed themselves without a tow.

We've had 180" of snow here since November. Still two feet on the ground in the woods and loads of snowbanks still melting.

The snowplows don't hit my road until mid-morning. My Matrix (with four snow tires) can easily make the 2-mile trek to the main highway through up to 12 inches of fresh snow. Wonder if the Smart car could do the same in such conditions.

I've seen plenty of them driven around by the summer people over at Bay Harbor in Petoskey (a nearby town). But have never seen one on the road in the winter.

Perhaps, you might need something like this:

econoplow1.jpg

:D

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nothing funny about it. How would you losers like it if somebody tipped over your imacs?

----------

When I see one, I just smile because they are so darn cute and I wish I had one.

Especially with gas prices now at $3.90 a gallon in my area.

The Smart gets disapointing fuel economy

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Great. Now I want a Smartcar.

I like the face on them, too. Looks like Pac-Man if he were a smart ass. Maybe that's where they got the name...

I think you just found George Barris' next project. :p

Oh, wait.. someone beat you to it! :D

batsmartcar.png

"BAT SMART CAR"

Bat Smart Car designed by Barris Kustom for comedian and ventriloquist, Jeff Dunham.

This would have been on his Halloween special, Minding the Monsters.

BL.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
While I don't agree with vandalizing or damaging someone's property, these Smart Cars are the stupidest pieces of crap I've ever seen and I've always thought about doing this.

I remember reading Consumer Reports once and the Smart Car was listed in the "5 Worst Cars" section. Made me feel validated. They aren't safe, you aren't some hero for the environment because you drive one.

When I read this story, I laughed.

EDIT: Though a Batman decorated version would be cool - as a trophy sort of thing and not as an actual everyday vehicle.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Okay, that's awesome, and it's really tempting me to get one.

If George and his late brother Sam could customize this, then it's definitely able to be done. Keep in mind that George and Sam made:

• the Munster mobile,
  • the Flintstone mobile,
  • Liberace's car,
  • the '29 Roadster from Dragnet,
  • the Black Beauty from the Green Hornet,
  • the original Batmobile,
  • the hotrod from the Beverly Hillbillies,
  • The Ectomobile from Ghostbusters,
  • The A-Team van,
  • The General Lee, and
  • KITT

Just to name a few. The men created the chop shop/custom car industry. And if they can do that with a Smart Car, let alone a Prius, it could be done.

I'm not much of a car guy, but Sam's granddaughter lives next door to me, and his son and wife are a few blocks down the street from where I live.

BL.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I remember reading Consumer Reports once and the Smart Car was listed in the "5 Worst Cars" section. Made me feel validated. They aren't safe, you aren't some hero for the environment because you drive one.

Consumer Reports didn't like them because of these reasons: "tiny, two-passenger cabin, a herky-jerky transmission, an under-powered engine". Nothing to do with safety or fuel economy.

By the way, the IIHS rates them Good or Acceptable (the two highest ratings) in crashworthiness. They're basically a roll-cage on wheels, thanks to the Tridion shell.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Consumer Reports didn't like them because of these reasons: "tiny, two-passenger cabin, a herky-jerky transmission, an under-powered engine". Nothing to do with safety or fuel economy.

Who would have expected a tiny 2 seater car to have a tiny two person passenger cabin and a small engine!? Its certainly a shock to me.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
... these Smart Cars are the stupidest pieces of crap I've ever seen and I've always thought about doing this.

I remember reading Consumer Reports once and the Smart Car was listed in the "5 Worst Cars" section. ....

Keeping in mind of course that they were designed to be safe enough by the Germans to drive on the unrestricted speed Autobahns ….

To each their own. Which is why I don't criticize your choice of car.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
(…)They aren't safe, you aren't some hero for the environment because you drive one.(…)
Surely they give that impression of being unsafe, and while I hold no prejudice against most cars, I still feel at times uncomfortable driving these, mostly from others driving much too close and not being sure those anesthetized SUV drivers have actually seen me, even in the clear car2go livery. But I trust German engineering (though they sometimes have unexplained issues such as premature rusting) more than American judgment :D.

Your SUV gives the opposite impression of being safe, while it's quite the opposite: too high for their width, they easily tip over in an accident, not mentioning a danger to others since light trucks aren't subject to the same safety requirements as normal cars (an absurdity).

What's the point of criticizing a fuel-sipping two-seater made for non-obese people? Most people drive alone in their vehicle anyways. It's so tiny I had trouble the few first times I wanted to parallel-park, since rules learnt at driving school didn't apply to vehicles with a turning radius and length this small.

But I can only agree about the transmission :( I get sometimes better "eco score" using manual mode than their conservatively-tuned transmission.

They're basically a roll-cage on wheels, thanks to the Tridion shell.
I guess that's why they look quite ugly compared to small cars made decades before, as well as very heavy for their sizes. Safety has a price, an esthetic one at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.