Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

passbook-hero.png
Microsoft has added support for Apple's Passbook passes in Windows Phone 8.1, which was released today as a developer preview. Microsoft announced this latest version of Windows Phone earlier this month and equipped the mobile OS with digital assistant and Siri competitor, Cortana.

As noticed by Tom Warren of The Verge and reported by iMore, Microsoft has created a method that takes the data from a Passbook file and converts it into a card that is imported into Microsoft Wallet.
Passbook passes are just collection of data that get rendered into a card and displayed in Apple's Passbook app. Think of the Passbook files like the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript data that makes up a webpage, and the Passbook app like the browser that renders the actual page. It looks like Windows Phone 8 is taking the same data and rendering a similar card out of it, and then pushing that card to Microsoft Wallet.
It is not known whether Microsoft's system is operating independently of Apple or if the Redmond company has an agreement to convert the data to its own wallet. The service may not support iOS-specific features like Passbook updates and notifications, but the importing of data is apparently accurate.
Windows Phone 8.1 supports Apple s Passbook natively. I ve been using it for flights. Works perfectly pic.twitter.com/MFScqvEVU7 - Tom Warren (@tomwarren) April 14, 2014
Passbook debuted in 2012 and was one of the major new apps bundled in iOS 6. The digital wallet permitted companies to store tickets, loyalty cards, coupons, gift cards and more in a centralized location on a user's iPhone and iPod touch. Apple has continued to update the service, allowing third-party apps to create Passbook passes and adding support for gift cards.

Article Link: Windows Phone 8.1 Adds Support for Apple's Passbook Passes

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
That's good news with passbook support. More phones use it more locations will incorporate it.

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Hopefully with wider spread use more places will embrace passbook and replace giftcards/tickets for christmas/birthdays into passbook equivalencies. saving me from constantly forgetting about the gift cards I left at home!

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Interesting. Never realized it was a file type. Also surprised that apple doesn't rule over it with an iron fist.

abhenry

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
I wonder if this has anything to do with Delta Airlines (original supporters of Passbook) moving from iOS devices to Windows Phone devices...

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Interesting. Never realized it was a file type. Also surprised that apple doesn't rule over it with an iron fist.

Just like with iBeacon devices and BT, there is nothing preventing others from reading the data from Passbook passes.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Target Market

Now Passbook passes, something that's been utterly useless where I live, is available on a Windows Phone, when I'd rather play blind-mans bluff on the freeway rather than use a WinPhone.

It's like they know me.:D

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
That's good news with passbook support. More phones use it more locations will incorporate it.

I don't think it's "Passbook support." It seems to me that it simply takes Passbook data and copies it into Microsoft Wallet. I don't think they'll be syncing with each other (although this isn't known right now).

It seems that Apple's complacency with Passbook has given Microsoft Wallet an edge in being the standard used in mobile wallets unless Apple reveals their long-rumoured mobile payment system and improve Passbook with iOS 8.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I don't think it's "Passbook support." It seems to me that it simply takes Passbook data and copies it into Microsoft Wallet. I don't think they'll be syncing with each other (although this isn't known right now).

It seems that Apple's complacency with Passbook has given Microsoft Wallet an edge in being the standard used in mobile wallets unless Apple reveals their long-rumoured mobile payment system and improve Passbook with iOS 8.

I think it's just HTML, CSS, and JavaScript data in a file.

Mandesly

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
The MS and Apple love fest continues!
Next up: MS Cloud services replaces iCloud ...

Actually, Apple use Microsoft Azure and Amazon for some iCloud services,
You can see it on your mac using Little Snitch or HandOff.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I have never even seen passbook in action, in any situation. Evidently, I fly on the wrong airlines, take the wrong taxis and drink the wrong coffee.

Maybe, but you also have to have actually allowed those passes to be added to PassBook. Some I get updated via a local app, like Starbucks, and others I get as an email attachment, like with an airline. Each pop up on my lock screen ready for me to slide access them when I'm within range. It's really very handy.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Actually, Apple use Microsoft Azure and Amazon for some iCloud services,
You can see it on your mac using Little Snitch or HandOff.

I mean totally outsourced to MS, from infrastructure to implementation! :D

Then MS abandons phone hardware ... Bing becomes the default search, Office gets pre-bundled on iPads! iTunes in the Windows distro! Wooo!

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Really sad Apple changed their minds about that. FaceTime would be so much more useful if everyone had it.

Case in point, Google Hangouts is available on iOS, Android and desktops. It just is a more complete text/video option that has the ability to have a larger audience.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm okay with this.

I mean...I don't know anybody with a Windows phone but simple interoperability is probably encouraging to businesses at least.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Not a bad deal. MS and Apple have pretty solid licensing agreements. Samsung should take note...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Case in point, Google Hangouts is available on iOS, Android and desktops. It just is a more complete text/video option that has the ability to have a larger audience.

This.

I've started using Hangouts on my iPhone 'cause everyone else is starting to use it. I've *never* used Facetime. (facepalm for you, Apple)

Apple needs to open up their stuff or they're going right back to the '90s where I abandoned them for almost 20 years. The only thing that brought me back to an Apple product was that my MBAir can dual boot to Windows. When Apple laptops and desktops could run Apple software only, there was zero reason for me to spend money their way.

I only went to iPhone after checking that various Apps I *needed* including several Google and Microsoft apps were there, and also that Android users would have no trouble from what was happening at my end. I now need Android users to be able to see my iCloud stuff, and apple isn't letting that happen. I'm going to have to shift back away from iOS and iCloud and to something that more people use unless Apple lets some Android/Windows access pronto.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.