Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG will be the sole supplier for flexible displays to be used in the iWatch as Apple looks to launch the device later this year in two sizes, according to a report from Korea's Naver [Google Translate, via GforGames].

iwatch-concept-nike.jpg
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand

The report notes that Apple is targeting to sell 9 million iWatch units by the end of the year with LG's collaboration, as the device itself will be released in September. The report also claimed that the iWatch will come in two different sizes of 1.3 inches and 1.5 inches, which falls in line with previous reports about the smartwatch.

In February, a report from Korean publication Digital Daily shared similar details, noting also that LG would be the sole supplier of the panels for the iWatch, and that the Korean company would start mass production of the flexible displays starting in July 2014. Apple was rumored to have selected LG's panels because they were thin, light and provided adequate brightness with minimal power consumption; characteristics that the company is said to have been pursuing for the device's display.

In addition to being released in two separate sizes and featuring a flexible display, the iWatch is also rumored to come with a multitude of biometric sensors and include integration with the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. In a research note last week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi also estimated that Apple will release the iWatch at multiple price points and in a variety of materials, with the highest-end selling for thousands of dollars.

Apple is expected to reveal the iWatch later this year alongside iOS 8 and the iPhone 6.

Article Link: LG Again Rumored to be Sole Supplier of Flexible Displays for iWatch

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
All this iwatch talk is really telling. This is going to happen. We all would insist to be notified at WWDC but it certainly won't be surprised on us till toward the holiday season.

I for one welcome out new furtistic handcuffs.

What a crazy time we live in. :eek:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It is very exciting to see what iWatch will bring us. But I already know I'll buying a few of these for myself and family. It will be an incredible innovative product to accompany our existing Apple devices - Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV.

I cannot wait to get my hands on one of them.

breadfaN88

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
It diesn't make sense to me that a sapphire display glass - with a hardness of 9 just behind diamond - is paired with a flexible display. Can anybody explain that?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It diesn't make sense to me that a sapphire display glass - with a hardness of 9 just behind diamond - is paired with a flexible display. Can anybody explain that?

To bend the display so it can be pressed against the inside of the curved glass protecting the display? The screen wouldn't bend as an after-market product.

Maybe by bending the screen, it would wrap around your wrist better while keeping the shell thin enough? Same reason they may be researching flexible batteries.

And maybe it might reduce the chances of the screen itself breaking if the glass shatters? It's going to be more succeptible to outdoor conditions as a wearable, after all.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Im still having problems picturing this as anything else than a mediocre idea product and a failure in the world of apple products. It will be interesting to see.....kinda like how google glass will only appeal to very few people.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
surprised if it is coming out this year we haven't even seen any "leaked" pics, only mockups. apple's security must be off the charts on this one.

So many conflicting stories on that rumored iWatch. Because it's virtually impossible for Apple to completely prevent leaks, and in the total absence of any such leaks in the form of parts or pictures, my guess is, it may just not be ready yet for release until very late in the year, or possibly next year.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Will this be a watch (like the Samsung Gear) or a bracelet (like the Fitbit)?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Will this be a watch (like the Samsung Gear) or a bracelet (like the Fitbit)?

I would be happy with either of those choices.

However... this mockup looks like a rigid bangle bracelet that will spin completely around your wrist.

I hope it's not that...

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013

However... this mockup looks like a rigid bangle bracelet that will spin completely around your wrist.

I hope it's not that...

rigid wouldn't work since it needs to accommodate large variation in wrist sizes (women to men, which can range from 4-8")

But the bracelet design would be a better choice for many who enjoy wearing non-smart watches.
Apple watch or any other smart watch cannot replace luxury watches segment.
An apple watch is a disposable electronic device while a Rolex, Patek Philippe or Audemars Piguet are timeless accessories.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
All this iwatch talk is really telling. This is going to happen.

So you work for Apple and know what future products Apple will be releasing? Wonder which NDA you broke to say this.

/sarcasm

Seriously no one Apart from Apple themselves know what future products Apple will release. We can only guess based on the rumours. If any non Apple employee claims they know then they are lying or mixing up rumour with fact.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
So you work for Apple and know what future products Apple will be releasing? Wonder which NDA you broke to say this.

/sarcasm

Seriously no one Apart from Apple themselves know what future products Apple will release. We can only guess based on the rumours. If any non Apple employee claims they know then they are lying or mixing up rumour with fact.

haha relax. this is a mac RUMORS website.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane

I hope it's not that...

Ditto, it needs to have some sort of shape to it.

I couldn't resist and grabbed a fitbit over the weekend, its shape is fairly comfy, even to sleep in. However I can't see the iWatch being as lightweight as the fitbit. Interesting times ahead.

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Image retention/uneven colors ? :confused:

My first thought was exactly that!

LG either produce amazing displays, or p*ss poor ones... never just "ok" displays.

In my old job (about 4/5 years ago) each designer would have two LG monitors that were fantastic (though they were £600 each and only 21").

Now, out of three iMacs I received, only one had a display I was happy with (LG panels from what I've heard) :-/

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Fair enough. LG can make flexible screens but don't seen to have any good ideas about what to do with them.

doqo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
All this iwatch talk is really telling. This is going to happen. We all would insist to be notified at WWDC but it certainly won't be surprised on us till toward the holiday season.

I for one welcome out new furtistic handcuffs.

What a crazy time we live in. :eek:

It's definitely going to happen, Siri told me so.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 199
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.