Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple, Google, HTC, Huawei, Motorola, Microsoft, Nokia and Samsung have announced a voluntary agreement to include anti-theft technology on all smartphones beginning next year, according to a report by Re/code.

The pledge has device makers agreeing that all devices going on sale after July of 2015 will have capabilities to remotely wipe data and to prevent the device from being reactivated without the owner's permission.

ios7_activation_lock.jpg
A number of state and local lawmakers praised the agreement, though it was panned as inadequate by California state Sen. Mark Leno, who has proposed a mandatory kill-switch law.

"The wireless industry today has taken an incremental yet inadequate step to address the epidemic of smartphone theft," Leno said in a statement. "Only weeks ago, they claimed that the approach they are taking today was infeasible and counterproductive. While I am encouraged they are moving off of that position so quickly, today's 'opt-in' proposal misses the mark if the ultimate goal is to combat street crime and violent thefts involving smartphones and tablets."
The senator pointed out that all smartphones must have similar kill switch features, or violent street crime and thefts will continue to occur as at least some of the device thefts will still be profitable.

A federal bill introduced earlier this year would mandate the inclusion of such a smartphone "kill switch" after California introduced a similar bill.

It is likely that Apple's Activation Lock, introduced alongside iOS 7, satisfies the requirements of the agreement already. Activation Lock effectively disables a stolen smartphone by preventing it from being wiped and reactivated without an Apple ID and password. Apple's Find My iPhone also allows for devices to be remotely wiped and locked.

Article Link: Apple and Other Smartphone Makers Back Global Anti-Theft Measures

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
It's remarkable to see how cheap "icloud locked" iphone's are on eBay. It doesn't seem to stop thieves, just puts a dent in their profits.

I like that they're collaborating to put fourth an effort though!

eyephonesix

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Google's "Anti-theft" measures will be easily disabled by side-loading an APK - as always. Wait and see - if they can't stop piracy, how are these blithering dunderheads going to "fix" security of this importance?

I trust Google for security, like a bicycle made of jelly

:p

moeafg

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Birmingham
I'm actually surprised hackers haven't found a bypass around it. iOS 7 has been out for a while now and there hasn't been any sign of the activation lock being cracked.

Note: I'm not supporting the hackers, I think the anti-theft lock is fantastic

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I'm actually surprised hackers haven't found a bypass around it. iOS 7 has been out for a while now and there hasn't been any sign of the activation lock being cracked.

Note: I'm not supporting the hackers, I think the anti-theft lock is fantastic

it's tied to apple's sever so unless you hack apple it isn't happening.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
It's remarkable to see how cheap "icloud locked" iphone's are on eBay. It doesn't seem to stop thieves, just puts a dent in their profits.

True. They can still sell them for parts. Not quite as lucrative as a fully functioning phone but parts are still a big market.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Google's "Anti-theft" measures will be easily disabled by side-loading an APK - as always. Wait and see - if they can't stop piracy, how are these blithering dunderheads going to "fix" security of this importance?

I trust Google for security, like a bicycle made of jelly

:p

they will probably just have locked bootloaders on all new phones so no more CM and other unofficial releases

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
it's tied to apple's sever so unless you hack apple it isn't happening.

But you could hack the firmware on the phone and prevent it from doing the check. Of course, this hasn't been done, but you don't necessarily need to hack into Apple's servers.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
So I can sell my iPhone and then screw over whom I sold it to?

You know this will happen.
Not as long as the buyer is wise. Bottom line is a buyer of a used cell phone would simply need to make sure that the iTunes/Google/etc. account is changed to their account prior to the seller leaving.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Good for them.

How much did the 5S stop theft with Touch ID? Or was that just for convenience?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Voluntary my ass! I remember not too long ago reading or hearing how the UK and EU governments were requesting handset makers buck up their security because too many phones are getting stolen.
This is their response, they'll sell it as voluntary, but in reality they were most likely told to sort it out or else.

Still, it is a very good thing for the consumer.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Good for them.

How much did the 5S stop theft with Touch ID? Or was that just for convenience?
It wasn't Touch ID in the 5s that was meant to deter theft. It was iOS7 and its Activation Lock feature that is enabled when you enable Find My iPhone on the device.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Waiting for some politician to “request” the medical body part replacement industry to voluntary install a kill switch.

Last edited:

godofredog

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
What about Find my Mac?

These are good news for me too (I have an iPhone, and these features may be useful someday, I hope not)... BUT I think laptop Anti-Theft mesures are as important as phones.

My 13'' Mid-2012 MacBook Pro was stolen a few days ago... and iCloud (Find My Mac) has been useless so far. Somehow the thief managed to not get my MB locked or wiped as of today (it was stolen on April 11th).

The Location Services (GPS) should not depend on the state of the device, wether it is powered on or off, it should always be able to be tracked. Also, the Find My Mac feature should not be able to be turned off... if you do a clean OS install, and never connect the mac to internet, you just need to be careful to turn off Find My Mac before connecting it, and it will never get locked or found by iCloud.

There should be a way to make the device a brick, not only wipe it or lock it.

Many people are working on a way to violate all the Anti-Theft security implemented by Apple, and be sure someone will accomplish it soon, if they have not done it already.

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
The lawsuit comes next....

Next we'll see a lawsuit from Apple against Google, HTC, Huawei, Motorola, Microsoft, Nokia and Samsung for violating their Activation Lock patents....

:D :D

(And yes, I am joking: I actually have no idea if Activation Lock is patented/patentable.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.