Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hyundai today announced that it will bring Apple's CarPlay technology to its Sonata automobile lineup starting next year. This introduction makes Hyundai the first volume automobile manufacturer to bring CarPlay to the market and leaves Honda as the only one of five brands featured by Apple as launching CarPlay support in 2014 yet to make a specific announcement.

hyundai_carplay.jpg
The first Hyundai automobiles to offer the voice-driven system will be the company's popular Sonata line. Models that are equipped with the CarPlay-compatible navigation systems will debut later in the 2015 model year.
Hyundai's latest Audio Video Navigation (AVN) systems are already recognized for their beautiful, yet intuitive interface and advanced feature set. Our engineers took advantage of the vivid eight-inch touchscreen to integrate CarPlay for an experience that iPhone users will instantly recognize.
CarPlay allows an iPhone to integrate into the car's infotainment system, providing Siri voice-controlled access to messaging, voice calls, Maps and music. The technology initially debuted as a factory-installed option in new 2014 luxury models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo and will be available as an aftermarket add-on via Pioneer and Alpine-branded receivers.

Article Link: Hyundai Bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata Models Later This Year

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I still do not see how this stuff is legal. All of these states are going to "hands free" and this just encourages you to multitask while driving.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Car play is definitely something that will influence my next vehicle purchase. I don't know that I would purchase a Hyundai just because it has it, but I may delay my purchase until my already selected brand supports the standard.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I still do not see how this stuff is legal. All of these states are going to "hands free" and this just encourages you to multitask while driving.

We shouldn't stop progress because some people are stupid. Nanny state sucks.

MacKyron

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014

Operating a radio is legal. CarPlay doesn't allow composing texts onscreen.

Also, not sure how you missed it but CarPlay uses "Siri Eyes-free" mode, which relies heavily on voice commands. Your current iPhone has it now, give it a try.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Of course, per the Hyundai press release, CarPlay is only available on models equipped with the navigation system, which includes the 8-inch touch screen display. The step lower 5-inch touch screen display does not come with the navigation.

On the 2014 Sonata, the 8-inch navigation system is currently part of a $3,000 premium or technology package depending on the trim level you start with.

The car will still be cheaper than the other currently announced OEM CarPlay options, but you're still going to pay a few thousand dollars to get CarPlay along with a bunch of other features you don't necesarily want on the Sonata.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Sucks that in order to get CarPlay you have to pay the egregious price that car mfr's charge for their navi systems which you will then not use because you are using Car Play.

I want a car that has a super basic infotainment system with a touch screen that I can then use doe CarPlay. Hate paying twice essentially for the same feature set.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Are you serious? CarPlay distracts you still less than the messed up standard interfaces most cars have these days, and these are legal too.

Legal, yes. Safe, not. It's next to impossible to determine if drivers were distracted wading though their screen options when involved in an accident, so there won't be enough proof to outlaw it. Just viewing a navigation map is often enough distraction to cause havoc, let alone wading though menus and icons.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Really astonished they didn't go with something featuring Samsung components.

Cause they are a Korean car manafacturer or cause Hyundai make cheap cars?

Sonata is their luxury car right?

Last edited:

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013

While I tend to agree with that sentiment, idiots who play with their phone put others at risk when they drive a death machine. That being said, I feel it helps progress along....I think we are going to see a lot more progress with Siri from this.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Are you serious? CarPlay distracts you still less than the messed up standard interfaces most cars have these days, and these are legal too.

I am not saying I agree with those rules, but it is crazy b.c they are distracting.

Operating a radio is legal. CarPlay doesn't allow composing texts onscreen.

Also, not sure how you missed it but CarPlay uses "Siri Eyes-free" mode, which relies heavily on voice commands. Your current iPhone has it now, give it a try.

Did not know you could not access the text while driving.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Have not looked into the CarPlay integration.
While driving a car, can you receive and reply to SMS messages using CarPlay?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Of course, per the Hyundai press release, CarPlay is only available on models equipped with the navigation system, which includes the 8-inch touch screen display. The step lower 5-inch touch screen display does not come with the navigation.

On the 2014 Sonata, the 8-inch navigation system is currently part of a $3,000 premium or technology package depending on the trim level you start with.

The car will still be cheaper than the other currently announced OEM CarPlay options, but you're still going to pay a few thousand dollars to get CarPlay along with a bunch of other features you don't necesarily want on the Sonata.

which make more sense to go with the aftermarket ones from pioneer or alpine.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sucks that in order to get CarPlay you have to pay the egregious price that car mfr's charge for their navi systems which you will then not use because you are using Car Play.

I want a car that has a super basic infotainment system with a touch screen that I can then use doe CarPlay. Hate paying twice essentially for the same feature set.

Yeah that really sucks. I wonder exactly what the hardware requirements for CarPlay are. Seems like this is just a way for OEMs to upsell you expensive infotainment packages.

----------

Pretty ironic comment considering that signature line of yours...

Depends how you define progress. ;)

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012

This will be available in aftermarket head units, too. With Pioneer and Alpine onboard, most others will follow.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

I agree. People can’t even handle talking on their phones/texting let alone interacting with an 8” display while driving. Whatever happened to just driving, listening to music and occasional gps? I ride a motorcycle and it scares the crap out of me that a person is looking at their display rather than the road. So many people on the road have no common sense.
Once the first carplay related accident harms someone I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple is sued. Just look at the word “Carplay”. You should not be playing around in a car; period! This goes for Google and Microsoft as well.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Legal, yes. Safe, not. It's next to impossible to determine if drivers were distracted wading though their screen options when involved in an accident, so there won't be enough proof to outlaw it. Just viewing a navigation map is often enough distraction to cause havoc, let alone wading though menus and icons.

If they follow along with many laws, for example, they'll have to limit the interactivity with the unit based on speed.

In Ontario, most headunits you buy will shut off MOST user interaction above 20km/h, leaving only basic radio and map controls. Advanced entry and functionality is unusable while in motion.

This likely will also apply to anything running Carplay (Or at least I assume it should). And here in Ontario, it is also illegal to have any mobile electronic device in your hands while driving, thus removing the use of the iPhone directly while driving. police here can give you a hefty ticket ($150 i think, but it might have been raised) and earn demerit points on your license for motor vehicle infraction should you be caught just holding your cell phone while your car is on the roadway or in motion.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah that really sucks. I wonder exactly what the hardware requirements for CarPlay are. Seems like this is just a way for OEMs to upsell you expensive infotainment packages.

from what i've seen, Carplay will run technically on most entertainment units that are already built around the QNX car platform. However, I dont think we've seen what Apple requires to be "carplay compatible" in means of actual power of the hardware.

Many cars out are already using the QNX car platform, so adding a software layer to support CarPlay might be a lot easier, and Cheaper than they let on.

I know when I bought my Camry, Toyota includes a QNX based car infotainment system in ALL models. Even the lowest end one now. However the GPS and maps functionality is still an upgrade (though standard in the SE and above).

I wouldn't be surprised if more manufacturers start including this sort of base functionality in most of their cars (or at least after a certain price point, I wouldn't expect a compact budget car to)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.