Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
I just got through watching the last 20 minutes, and 3lite's right. If you pay enough attention, it all but spells it out for us. The Tyrells are obviously the fulcrum on which the whole plot turned. Sansa likely had a part, since she had come to trust the Tyrells over the last season, and had more reasons than most for wanting to see Joffrey dead. Sir Dontos, feeling both indebted to Sansa for saving his life, and not being too big a fan of Joffrey for making him a literal and figurative fool, helped her out in some way, probably at her request.

The vaguely middle eastern couple who's name I can't recall at the moment, are probably a red herring. I'm thinking they might end up doing something to one of the Lannisters (I'm thinking they'll eventually off Tywin), but a poisoning is too subtle for them. If they killed Joffrey, they'd want the Lannisters to know it's them who did it.

...or they could've been the ones who provided the poison. Who knows?

Though it doesn't spell it out directly, that final scene does make it fairly obvious who's involved.

edit: I should also add that the Tyrells did have something to gain from all of this, and they didn't kill Joffrey simply as an act of altruism, stopping a cruel tyrant before he fully hit his stride. Margery is now, by law, a Baratheon. Though she won't take the throne directly, she will be the queen regent until Joffrey's younger brother marries. Though I doubt Cersei will willingly give up her hold on power, Margery, and thus the Tyrells, have a legitimate claim to the throne.

Rez, you're getting warm but I don't think you got the full picture just yet. You man want to rewatch the entire episode again if you have the time to do some more detective work. :cool:

Also, a little backstory on the Martell couple. Oberyn Martell, or the Red Viper as they call him, is very knowledgeable in the art of poison. I have no idea why the show did not convey this fact is beyond me. The reason they even call him the Red Viper is because he poisoned a man in a bout. Oberyn has actually forged a few chain links (the equivalent of a few college degrees) and spent a lot of time across the narrow seas studying lots of different cultures and poison/spices.

During the episode, you notice that Oberyn gives Loras the sexy eyes. What is strange about that is in the books, the Martells and Tyrells do not see eye to eye. Long ago, Willas Tyrell (Marg and Loras's older brother) got accidentally crippled in a jousting tourney against Oberyn. Ever since then, there has been tension amongst the families.

Long story short, the Lannisters aren't the only ones who don't want Oberyn at that wedding lol.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
That's what the Internet is for, my good friend. It's how I spend my Monday evenings after work - watching Game of Thrones and now Mad Men as well.

Monday mornings are the only mornings that I don't go back to bed after feeding the dogs at 6-7. Thanks Walking Dead. Thanks Game of Thrones. Thanks Sweden.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Monday mornings are the only mornings that I don't go back to bed after feeding the dogs at 6-7. Thanks Walking Dead. Thanks Game of Thrones. Thanks Sweden.

I think Breaking Bad was the only show I really cared to watch Monday morning before work to avoid spoilers. Game of Thrones I've read the books. Other shows I watch are more typically comedies where spoilers don't matter.

I still need to give The Walking Dead a try. Been meaning to do that for some time.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I think Breaking Bad was the only show I really cared to watch Monday morning before work to avoid spoilers. Game of Thrones I've read the books. Other shows I watch are more typically comedies where spoilers don't matter.

I still need to give The Walking Dead a try. Been meaning to do that for some time.

The first season was really cool but the second was a drag and eventually I almost had to set a reminder to downl... errr obtain the latest episode in the night ;) . The last season was a bit better again. I'm a huge horror movie fan but the novelty of Zombies on TV on a regular basis did wear off pretty quick with this show and once you're over that it becomes just another regular TV drama show with almost soap like personal relationships and issues, including some characters that make dumb choices, which I usually find annoying (except for in "The Following" - I love the way the show depicts the FBI as completely degenerated idiots that can turn a simple scenario like buying a bag of chips into a comical suicide mission).

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
The first season was really cool but the second was a drag and eventually I almost had to set a reminder to downl... errr obtain the latest episode in the night ;) . The last season was a bit better again. I'm a huge horror movie fan but the novelty of Zombies on TV on a regular basis did wear off pretty quick with this show and once you're over that it becomes just another regular TV drama show with almost soap like personal relationships and issues, including some characters that make dumb choices, which I usually find annoying (except for in "The Following" - I love the way the show depicts the FBI as completely degenerated idiots that can turn a simple scenario like buying a bag of chips into a comical suicide mission).

Back on topic, gentlemen, the king has been poisoned!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
He has! I assume that will switch Cersei into Ultrabitch mode (even more so than normal)? (I haven't read the books)

There was a theory that Cersei might have poisoned Joffery because with him marrying Margery, she was losing control over Joffery and thus the crown. With him dead, Joffery's younger brother would technically be king but just a figurehead for Cersei and Tywin.

Personally, I don't think the theory is valid because I remember Cersei, at one point, saying that one of the only reason she's alive is her children.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
There was a theory that Cersei might have poisoned Joffery because with him marrying Margery, she was losing control over Joffery and thus the crown. With him dead, Joffery's younger brother would technically be king but just a figurehead for Cersei and Tywin.

Personally, I don't think the theory is valid because I remember Cersei, at one point, saying that one of the only reason she's alive is her children.

Who is Joffery's younger brother?

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Game of Thrones (HBO)

Who is Joffery's younger brother?

I must have a terrible memory. I don't ever remember seeing him. Did he appear in the show?

His younger brother is Tommen. He's only been in a few scenes, but was present at the table during the wedding. They switched up the actor, he's now blonde (I think) and looks like a mini version of Joffery, hah.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like Tyrion's quip (paraphrased) "If I had been behind the King's murder, I'd hope I had a better plan than standing there gawking as it happened." I was impressed by the jousting knight versus the standing knight although I predicted the outcome. :) Daeny is becoming a real force to be reckoned with.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
For the most part. How about Jaime raping Cersei next to the body of their dead bastard son. Kinky.

That bit threw me, I thought Jamie was becoming slightly less detestable. Then I remembered why Bran could no longer walk.

Also Oberyn is awesome, apart from the back story with Elia the show should elaborate more on his history.

Actually thinking about it, a spin-off prequel would be amazing. The backstory is almost as good as what is already being shown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.