Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
I bet you are thrilled now that you finally recieved your new Mac! I hate how the migration process takes up the whole screen. Mine moved the stuff to a new user and I had to gain permissions to various folders my stuff was under and then manually move it over to the right folder under the right user. That's a part of the experience they need to work on.
Yeah I started doing the migration assistant and then decided to wait till tonight to let it do it so hopefully it will be done in the morning and so it can do it's updates also! I am so happy i finally got it thats for sure.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I'm from the UK and Apple have just confirmed that my 27" iMac has left the factory in Ireland.

If anyone here has any experience of a similar delivery, did yours arrive the following day or a number of days of the dispatch notice.

It's probably a bit of an odd question, but I'm getting very impatient... :)

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
I'm from the UK and Apple have just confirmed that my 27" iMac has left the factory in Ireland.

If anyone here has any experience of a similar delivery, did yours arrive the following day or a number of days of the dispatch notice.

It's probably a bit of an odd question, but I'm getting very impatient... :)
Mine took a week because i did standard shipping and mine was a built to order cause i changed for the higher end i7 3.1Ghz CPU on my 21.5inch iMac that also has the Nvidia card in it also!

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Mine took a week because i did standard shipping and mine was a built to order cause i changed for the higher end i7 3.1Ghz CPU on my 21.5inch iMac that also has the Nvidia card in it also!

I've gone for express before-noon delivery, and it shipped today from Cork in Ireland. It's been a bit of a roller coaster; the delivery date has switched between 17 and 22 April a few times now. It's currently quoting 17 April.

The spec I went for was

• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
• 8GB RAM
• 1TB Flash Storage
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I've gone for express before-noon delivery, and it shipped today from Cork in Ireland. It's been a bit of a roller coaster; the delivery date has switched between 17 and 22 April a few times now. It's currently quoting 17 April.

The spec I went for was

• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
• 8GB RAM
• 1TB Flash Storage
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

The prodigal iMac has arrived! Can't wait to go home and unpack it.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
I just ordered a new iMac refurb yesterday, and it came today! And... with a nice surprise.

My 2010 27" i7 began having issues (logic board) and rather than spend the money to get it fixed, I decided to get a new iMac since I needed a new machine quickly. I realized that I REALLY didn't need the i7 for the type of work I do, so I decided to go with a 3.4 i5 this time.

I really wanted to get the Fusion Drive, so I opted for one that had the 1TB Fusion Drive. To my surprise, the one I received has the 3TB Fusion Drive! :D

I've already got an additional 16GB of RAM on the way, so this one should last me quite a while. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Cinema Display, so I'm going to use the 2010 iMac in Target Display mode as my second monitor.

This i5 with the Fusion Drive is insanely fast - much faster than my i7 was. I had already seen that the 2013 i5 was killing the '10 i7 in benchmarks, but the Fusion Drive has really made this thing fly.

Super happy right now. Now I need to go and pickup a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter (I forgot to order it) and I'm back in business!

U4kl1t2l.png

Y5yiXBrl.png

tevion

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Well i've gone "Back to Mac".

Trading my gaming rig with somebody for a late 2012 27" iMac with a 675MX, Applecare till May 2016. Got a good deal i feel.

Fits in the rest of my Apple gear and being away for work it was better to have my gaming rig portable, so plumbing for a 880m based laptop soon.

ej8kll.jpg

KaiserJosh

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2014
Illinois
Just ordered a refurbished late 2013 21.5" iMac! :)

21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 1920-by-1080 resolution
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz)
8GB RAM
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

This will be my first iMac as I've been using a Late-2011 15" Macbook Pro for 2 years. Hopefully it'll arrive faster than May 5th to 9th. Has anyone ever received a refurbished mac way ahead of the expected delivery? :rolleyes:

jan08

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
Seems Apple have made a price error on the UK refurb site. Just ordered a 27 inch i7, 16gb RAM, 1TB SSD and 780M for 1899, that is 200 cheaper than one with 512 SSD and 775M

Untitled-1961

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
London
Seems Apple have made a price error on the UK refurb site. Just ordered a 27 inch i7, 16gb RAM, 1TB SSD and 780M for 1899, that is 200 cheaper than one with 512 SSD and 775M

Yes, I saw that too. - Mine arrived today, looks amazing, amazing price, more than £1000 pounds cheaper than the same bto.

PatrickVogeli

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
Karlsruhe (Germany)
Hi there!

New in these forums, bought an Imac 27" last week, the base model. So far I'm absolutely thrilled with this machine... great screen, super snappy, feels great to use. Just perfect!

Coming from a Dell XPS 14, Speed and specially the screen, is like night and day. Glad I got it!

EDIT: oh, I got it at MediaMark, for 250€ less than in a Mac Store. For the exact same machine, was a deal!

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Well i've gone "Back to Mac".

Trading my gaming rig with somebody for a late 2012 27" iMac with a 675MX, Applecare till May 2016. Got a good deal i feel.

Fits in the rest of my Apple gear and being away for work it was better to have my gaming rig portable, so plumbing for a 880m based laptop soon.

that looks pretty sick. That's a real cool setup. Do you play vide games on bootcamp as well ?

ThomasLagrange

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Belgium - Antwerp
After my macbook pro died, well, the graphics decieded to give up I had to come up with a solution and decieded to go with a 27inch Imac. My laptop hardly moved anyway.. I decieded to go with:

3,4-GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB (going to upgrade it later)
256GB flash (trusting on Thunderbolt)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB GDDR5

Looking forward to next week when it arrives, gonna hook up my 24 inch cinema display aswell, hopefully my desk is big enough..

Only concern is getting into my old macbook..I hope I can fire it up as external hard drive, still some files up there that I need. Any ideas about this?

Cheers!

Neryus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Just ordered my iMac, since waiting for the upgrade is not worth it in my opinion.

• 27"
  • i5 3.4 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 780M Graphics Card
  • 256 GB SSD

:D

Susansmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
It’s been about 3 weeks since I got my new iMac for my graphic design business. I purchased the 27" iMac with 3.4 GHz, Intel Core i5, 16 GB of ram (installed) and 1 TB SSD.

I wanted to share my insight for those who are still shopping.

I love it!!!!

First I have to say that the 27" is a perfect size for me. I love the extra space for my palettes when I design. The screen quality is perfect. No yellowing, or defects. The image looks beautiful, even though I have a retina on my iPad, I still love the quality of this resolution. Colors are great, everything looks sharp.

I went with the SSD not because I was worried about performance of the Fusion, I received a lot of encouraging feedback on the forum, but I know I was making a long term investment 5-6 years and I wanted the newest technology and wanted to leave the spinning drive. I also have a huge iPhoto collection and wanted to ensure that it would always be running on the SSD. It was a tough decision that I am happy with.

I noticed that the speaker quality was better than my previous mac (24" early 2008), I appreciated that!

The iMac of course is beautiful, set up was easy and Apple Care support was awesome, so thankful for them and all their assistance.

I chose not to use the migration assistance software, I read some concerning stories about it being difficult, so I used my external HD and manually brought over my iPhoto, iTunes, user files and then installed the applications. I consulted Apple Care for guidance every step of the way. Everything went smoother than I thought it would. Especially the iPhoto.

The only problem I had was with the FontExplorer software I purchased after setting up my new computer. It was very disappointing. It was not working with the Adobe software I was using (CS6). The customer support for this software is email only and they were taking a week to respond to simple emails. I eventually had to drop the software and switch to Suitcase Fusion 5 which worked like a charm on the first attempt. I wasted about 2 weeks of headaches over FontExplorer, I seriously regret that purchase.

I am using the WD My Passport 3.0 USB external hard drive (2 TB) for Time machine backup and have a second hard drive for backing up current files (just in case). I also back up online with Backblaze in case there is a fire or my equipment is stolen. (I know I am a little over the top with back ups, but I can sleep at night) :)

I love the wireless mouse, it is super cool and love scrolling on it. It has worked flawlessly so far. The keyboard is great too, so much so we bought a new wireless mouse and keyboard for the old computer for my husband to use.

Delivery was extra special. We placed the order online on a Friday and was expecting it to arrive the following Friday. But it arrived early on Tuesday! I was so surprised and excited!

Everything is running smooth and super fast. I’ve been able to speed up my workflow and enjoy every second in front of my new iMac.

Happy 100%

Thanks to all of you who helped me in my decision through this forum.

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
I can tell you one thing i do not regret buying my iMac 21.5 inch, it is the best prebuilt computer i have ever bought and love it and have also bought parallels so i can run my windows games on it too and now in the process of getting a 4TB external HDD and also converting my old pc HDD into external drives so i can also use those to.:cool:

ColorWerx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Minnesota
iMac 27"

Newbie here.

After a long, agonizing process, I am finally giving into the idea of switching to Mac.

I'm a LONG-time Windows guy; however, the first personal computer I really ever worked with was the original mid-'80s Mac. Heck, the first computer I ever owned was an Atari Mega ST...(but I digress).

I have always admired Apple, but due to the fact that I'm a SQL developer and a .NET developer, it never made sense to me to switch. Somehow, I never understood what BootCamp and Parallels could do for me...that turned me around on it.

After looking hard at the MacBook Pros, I've decided to go with the 27-inch iMac (i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive), and also get an iPad Air for portability.

What's somewhat ironic, is that I just found out that the others in my company's development group (I'm a MS BI consultant) are all using MacBooks or iMacs now. So, I might be able to trade in this crappy Lenovo ThinkPad I'm using for a MacBook Pro as well.

I've got my fingers crossed...

Vito Botta

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Espoo, Finland
I have a couple of MBPs, one mid-2010 and the other early-2011, but for development they were starting to be a bit slow and limiting. So rather than buying a new Mac, a little while ago I decided to build a Hackintosh with a 3770k processor; this has been my main machine so far and it has worked quite well (it's powerful) but in the end I got tired of some quirks to get some things to work, plus every major update is a gamble.... I then got very annoyed because I couldn't enable FileVault on the main drive since it wouldn't work, due to the way you have to prepare the drive for use with OSX in a Hackintosh...

So I just ordered the iMac with 3.5GHz/i7, 32GB memory and 3TB Fusion Drive. Can't wait! I'm in Finland though so it won't arrive before the 11th unfortunately :(

stellabird

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
Newbie here...my 24" iMac getting old...5 yrs I think. Read a bit here, posted, bought today. Refurb 27" 3.4 chip, 512K ssd, 16 ram. Sept 2013 build. Saw 2 x 8 Crucial memory on Amazon for $139 (or so) and figured...why not? iMac arrives tomorrow; extra ram Thursday. Should be a nice set up...

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Got a 27 imac late 2013 version i5 775m 1 tb hdd 24 gb ram from a mr user here. Excited!

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Gave up on waiting. Was really hoping to see some new hardware at WWDC but was shut out.
Happily ordered a refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 1920-by-1080 resolution
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Should be quite a boost from editing on my 2009 MBP!

camlee0814

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Just bought my Imac this past weekend and im coming from a hp laptop. Mostly going to be using it to edit pictures and make small videos. So far im in love with it. I did some research before i bought but dont know too much about computers so i got mine from the apple store. I went the 27" imac with 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz 8GB memory 1TB hard drive1 NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory (yes i copied that from the apple website :p) Its a great upgrade from my old laptop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.