Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Very good choice. However, to my mind, 'East of Eden' is John Steinbeck's masterpiece (the movie of the same name truncated the book, by leaving out the first two thirds of the book); if you have not read it, I recommend it strongly, as it is really excellent.

I haven't read it yet, so thanks for the recommendation. I have promoted it to the top of my list now. :)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
ScreenShot2014-04-08at104152_zps160cbb6d.jpg

I just picked up this book, to tie in with a series of programs which have started on the TV to commemorate the war of 14-18.

You would never believe just how difficult it was back in those days to stay neutral, everybody in later years just thought that it went like a walk in the park. German armies many hundreds of thousands strong passed along a road that strandled the boarder with Belgium.

At one time Rotterdam was the spy capital of the world.

Sendaii

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Just finished The Alchemy of Air by Thomas Hager, thought it was pretty good. Now I'm reading Lone Survivor.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I just picked up this book, to tie in with a series of programs which have started on the TV to commemorate the war of 14-18.

You would never believe just how difficult it was back in those days to stay neutral, everybody in later years just thought that it went like a walk in the park. German armies many hundreds of thousands strong passed along a road that strandled the boarder with Belgium.

At one time Rotterdam was the spy capital of the world.

True and a fascinating topic. What is the title (in English) of the book, and has it been translated into English? If so, I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Is there any discussion of the postwar political landscape, and the fact that the Kaiser ended up being allowed to settle in the Netherlands, (I'd be interested in learning more about how that came about), an act which he repaid with spectacular (if entirely characteristic) ingratitude when cheering on the German invasion of the Low Countries May 1940?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
True and a fascinating topic. What is the title (in English) of the book, and has it been translated into English? If so, I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Is there any discussion of the postwar political landscape, and the fact that the Kaiser ended up being allowed to settle in the Netherlands, (I'd be interested in learning more about how that came about), an act which he repaid with spectacular (if entirely characteristic) ingratitude when cheering on the German invasion of the Low Countries May 1940?
The title means “Outside the Shooting” or “Safe Place”

The book was written in 2011, and as far as I know there are no plans to translate it to English.

This is because this is a truly Dutch story, only interesting to us and maybe to history professors. This period of history was never really explored even in the Netherlands. I only got very meagre information at school about one page, and both my children only got one paragraph in the history books.

This is not a book to try to say look we also suffered terribly in 14-18, but to explain to the reader the thoughts behind so many of the actions by the government, and leaders of the day.

The author is a historian based in Amsterdam, and spent many many years researching the archives on this subject. Mostly of course for governments of other countries, i.e. facts about 1,000,000 Belgium refugees, or the interned military personal.

I myself would not have even heard of this book was it not for all the progames on, Belgium, French, German and British TV about WWI. The TV here are sending out a series of 5 progames, using this book as a major guide.

One interesting fact the Netherlands army was mobilised to 80% through out the war years.

There is nothing about the Kaiser except to mention when he arrived from Spa.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The title means “Outside the Shooting” or “Safe Place”

The book was written in 2011, and as far as I know there are no plans to translate it to English.

This is because this is a truly Dutch story, only interesting to us and maybe to history professors. This period of history was never really explored even in the Netherlands. I only got very meagre information at school about one page, and both my children only got one paragraph in the history books.

This is not a book to try to say look we also suffered terribly in 14-18, but to explain to the reader the thoughts behind so many of the actions by the government, and leaders of the day.

The author is a historian based in Amsterdam, and spent many many years researching the archives on this subject. Mostly of course for governments of other countries, i.e. facts about 1,000,000 Belgium refugees, or the interned military personal.

I myself would not have even heard of this book was it not for all the progames on, Belgium, French, German and British TV about WWI. The TV here are sending out a series of 5 progames, using this book as a major guide.

One interesting fact the Netherlands army was mobilised to 80% through out the war years.

There is nothing about the Kaiser except to mention when he arrived from Spa.

Thank you very much for such an interesting reply; that is the sort of book I would love to read, and I am sorry that it has not been translated into English.

Many people forget (or do not realise) that the Netherlands managed to remain neutral during the First World War, so this would be an extremely interesting story to read.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
What Book Are You Reading?

I posted this two days ago in a book forum I'm very active on and decided to post it here as well since it's well worth it.

Anyone who enjoys reading non-fiction should to take a look at The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown. For those who do not read non-fiction should also check it out; I guarantee you, after reading this book you'll be wanting to read more of the same. It's about the University of Washington's varsity rowing crew and their quest for an Olympic gold medal. Please do not let that be a turn off for you. I didn't know a lot about rowing prior to reading this book. Nor do I watch this sport (though I'm interested now) but this definitely did not stop me from enjoying the book. It's centered around the life of one of the varsity crew member, Joe Rantz. The narration jumps between Rantz's life and his and his crew's quest to the Olympics and then goes to talk about an important event that occured during that time; like the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl, Hitler's reign/life, etc.

I immensely enjoy reading non-fiction and my favorite in the genre has always been Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken however, after reading The Boys in the Boat, it has become my all-time favorite right above Hillenbrand's. Yes it's that good, and even better. The author, Daniel James Brown did an outstanding job writing this book. His storytelling skills are extraordinary. I've read a lot of non-fictions that are dull but this one is far from that. Literally, the best book I've read so far. A truly entertaining and remarkable work of narrative non-fiction. Highly recommended.

I'm going to post a link to the book at Amazon for anyone interested.

Scepticalscribe, I know how much you love reading non-fiction/history, this one should not be missed!

---------------

Now I'm currently reading the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I posted this two days ago in a book forum I'm very active on and decided to post it here as well since it's well worth it.

Anyone who enjoys reading non-fiction should to take a look at The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown. For those who do not read non-fiction should also check it out; I guarantee you, after reading this book you'll be wanting to read more of the same. It's about the University of Washington's varsity rowing crew and their quest for an Olympic gold medal. Please do not let that be a turn off for you. I didn't know a lot about rowing prior to reading this book. Nor do I watch this sport (though I'm interested now) but this definitely did not stop me from enjoying the book. It's centered around the life of one of the varsity crew member, Joe Rantz. The narration jumps between Rantz's life and his and his crew's quest to the Olympics and then goes to talk about an important event that occured during that time; like the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl, Hitler's reign/life, etc.

I immensely enjoy reading non-fiction and my favorite in the genre has always been Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken however, after reading The Boys in the Boat, it has become my all-time favorite right above Hillenbrand's. Yes it's that good, and even better. The author, Daniel James Brown did an outstanding job writing this book. His storytelling skills are extraordinary. I've read a lot of non-fictions that are dull but this one is far from that. Literally, the best book I've read so far. A truly entertaining and remarkable work of narrative non-fiction. Highly recommended.

I'm going to post a link to the book at Amazon for anyone interested.

Scepticalscribe, I know how much you love reading non-fiction/history, this one should not be missed!

---------------

Now I'm currently reading the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Well, firstly, thank you very much for the strong recommendation of what sounds as though it is a most interesting book (and certainly one that seems to cover a fascinating period in history). I'll look it up on Amazon, and thank you for suggesting that I take a look at it.

Secondly, I imagine that you will Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I certainly did. Actually, it is excellent.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Well, firstly, thank you very

Secondly, I imagine that you will Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I certainly did. Actually, it is excellent.

You are welcome. I just had to let you know about it :)

Regarding HP, I've read the first four consecutively and loved and enjoyed each and every one. I then decided to take a break and read something else. I didn't realize how much I would miss those books! I'm glad I'm back to reading them :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just started a A Storm of Swords- Book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire series, iBook version. Sadly I have the paperback but the print has mysteriously shrunk over the years. It must of gotten wet. ;) Its been a while since I've delved in the series because I watch the HBO Game of Thrones and have vowed to keep my book reading behind the show. I'd forgotten how good the reading is in this series. :)

8237794_0_9999_lge_v1_m56577569840029496.jpg

----------

Well, firstly, thank you very much for the strong recommendation of what sounds as though it is a most interesting book (and certainly one that seems to cover a fascinating period in history). I'll look it up on Amazon, and thank you for suggesting that I take a look at it.

The entire series is excellent IMO. :)

Last edited:

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Finishing in a few days the 7th book of Stephen King's Dark Tower saga.

Now I really wish that HBO would make that into a television series with a minimum of 20 episodes per book to tell the story!

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So what is this book about?

It's somewhat like harry potter with some major differences. In that world, the magical school isn't a high school like Hogwarts, it's actually a college in upstate New York. So far, it appears as though the professors treat magic more like physics. As like a science people don't understand. I'm not very far in it unfortunately (I'm too busy arguing with citizenzen ;)), but so far, so good.

Like everyone else, precocious high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. There he indulges in joys of college-friendship, love, sex, and booze- and receives a rigorous education in modern sorcery. But magic doesn't bring the happiness and adventure Quentin thought it would. After graduation, he and his friends stumble upon a secret that sets them on a remarkable journey that may just fulfill Quentin's yearning. But their journey turns out to be darker and more dangerous than they'd imagined. Psychologically piercing and dazzlingly inventive, The Magicians, the prequel to the New York Times bestselling book The Magician King and the forthcoming The Magician's Land, is an enthralling coming-of-age tale about magic practiced in the real world-where good and evil aren't black and white, and power comes at a terrible price.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's somewhat like harry potter with some major differences. In that world, the magical school isn't a high school like Hogwarts, it's actually a college in upstate New York. So far, it appears as though the professors treat magic more like physics. As like a science people don't understand. I'm not very far in it unfortunately (I'm too busy arguing with citizenzen ;)), but so far, so good.

I've read the entire Harry Potter series, not that I'm looking for the same experience again, but if you have read HP, I'd like to know how you compare the two stories. The important aspects are the writing, intrigue, drama, maybe humor, and the quality of the narrative. Thanks! :)

Here is a review I dug up at Amazon:
Amazon Best of the Month, August 2009: Mixing the magic of beloved children's fantasy classics (from Narnia and Oz to Harry Potter and Earthsea) with the sex, excess, angst, and anticlimax of life in college and beyond, Lev Grossman's Magicians reimagines modern-day fantasy for grownups. Quentin Coldwater lives in a state of perpetual melancholy, privately obsessed with his childhood books about the enchanted land of Fillory. When he’s admitted to the surreptitious Brakebills Academy for an education in magic, Quentin finds mastering spells is tedious (and love is even more fraught). He also discovers his power has thrilling potential--though it's unclear what he should do with it once he's moved with his new magician cohorts to New York City. Then they discover the magical land of Fillory is real and launch an expedition to use their powers to set things right in the kingdom--which, naturally, turns out to be a much murkier proposition than expected. The Magicians breathes life into a cast of characters you want to know--if the people you want to know are charismatic, brilliant, complex, flawed magicians--and does what Quentin claims books never really manage to do: "get you out, really out, of where you were and into somewhere better. " Or if not better, at least a heck of a lot more interesting. --Mari Malcolm --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"Ryszard Kapuscinski: A Life" by Artur Domoslawski.

I have long admired much of the exquisitely crafted and superbly observed writing of Ryszard Kapuscinski, and intend to re-read and re-visit a number of his books over the coming weeks. But first, this recently published biography awaits me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.