Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pixelmator.jpg
Popular Photoshop alternative Pixelmator today announced that it is planning to introduce a new Repair Tool in an upcoming 3.2 "Sandstone" update, allowing users to remove dust, blemishes, and entire objects from images with "an unsurpassed level of precision and quality."

To promote the future update, which will be available for free to existing Pixelmator users, the app is on sale for half off for the next week, dropping the price from $29.99 to $14.99.

Pixelmator regularly updates its image editing software, with the future 3.2 update following its January 3.1 update, which added full support for the Mac Pro, with 16-bit per channel images, full GPU support, and optimizations for the multi-core processors in the computer.

Back in October, the app was also updated with Mavericks support and a new image editing engine, greatly enhancing its performance.

Pixelmator can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Image Editing App Pixelmator Half Off Ahead of 3.2 Update

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Acorn 4, another friendly Photoshop alternative, has also had its price cut to $15 recently. I personally prefer Acorn and suggest you give it a look too if you're considering Pixelmator (which seems to have far better marketing…).

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Lets hope this update fixes some resizing issues I've been having where taking an images from 512px to 150px results in blurriness.

Sharpen effect ought to do it ;)

Seriously though it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a sharpness slider when resizing, possibly with a preview before you hit OK. Do it all in one go.

More pressing feature that needs to be added is pathing for text... less than ideal text features is the one thing that drives me nuts in Pixelmator, which I rather like for most work that I need to do.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Wow, I'll need to try out the new repair tool to believe it. Seems even more powerful than that in Lightroom!

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I like Pixelmator, but I was really tempted to get Acorn when it was on sale. I've read that it has more seamless exporting of retina @2x images and non-destructive layer styles. Those are things I'd really like to see in Pixelmator.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I don't know why but I can never do real work on this app... I always end up opening Adobe Photoshop CC

I'd been using PS for over a decade and finally dumped Adobe and have been liking Pixelmator a lot. The work flow is much different from PS, but I've adjusted and am doing just fine with it. Looking forward to the update.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I like Pixelmator, but I was really tempted to get Acorn when it was on sale. I've read that it has more seamless exporting of retina @2x images and non-destructive layer styles. Those are things I'd really like to see in Pixelmator.

Pixelmator got layer styles in 3.0 didn't it?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
At $15 each this week, there's really no reason not to get both Pixelmator & Acorn. An art kit has more than one kind of pencil or eraser.

Last edited:

Aug 19, 2008
I love Pixelmator, but the developer often break some previous workflow. I'm currently still using an old 2.1.4 version because they did break the layer right-clic selection.

Previously, when you had a project with 100+ layers, you could easily right clic on an area of your project and easily select between the different layer on this spot.

Now, with newer version, we can't do that anymore and there's no alternative way to quickly select a layer... which is really really bad if you're always working on 100+ layers project.

I did wait already over a year for a fix for this issue, and several new version later, it is still not fixed and the developer doesn't really seem to understand the problem and therefor how to fix it.

PS: For illustrator alternative, I do recommend "iDraw" (available on the App Store). It's not perfect, but it's not bad and it can open illustrator files.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
What's the Illustrator replacement?

Pixelmator has a build in vector editor named Vectormator. One click and you jump back and fourth between bitmap and vector. Where as Adobe are yet to come up with the idea of combining the two...

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
What's the Illustrator replacement?

For me it's iDraw. However, I still use Intaglio because it has CYMK support. From what I hear from the dev when I last inquired, CYMK support is something they have plans for, but no ETA.

I can do all my designing with iDraw, but when I need to print in a CMYK colorspace to my CMYK laser printer, Intaglio is still the only way for me. I don't do Adobe, so no chance I'd rent Illustrator.

iDraw is the Pixelmator of vector.... it even has the same dark UI.

If iDraw had CMYK support, it would be the only vector app I use, and I've tried them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.