Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo today updated its Flickr photo sharing app to version 3.0, introducing a major design overhaul that revamps the look and feel of the app. Aiming to make capturing and editing photos easier, the app features 14 live filters for the app's camera, allowing users to see what edits will look like before an image is captured.

The app also has a cleaner, better organized grid-style gallery view for browsing through photos and its camera capture and filter menu now resembles Instagram's successful image editing layout. Searching for captured photos is easier, with a revamped "intelligent" search engine that can filter by date, time, place, and even scenes and objects like "car" or "sunset."

flickrredesign.jpg
A new Auto Sync feature lets users upload photos from the camera roll to Flickr automatically, creating a cloud-based backup of all iPhone images. As announced last year, Flickr provides all of its users with 1TB of free storage space.

Video recording, previously unavailable in the Flickr app, is has also been added, allowing Flickr to compete with other photo and video sharing services like Instagram and Vine. There are simple video customization features available and the new live filters also apply to video footage.
Welcome to Flickr 3.0! We have completely rebuilt and redesigned the app to make it simple, beautiful, and easy to use.

Favorite features:
- Capture everything: Take stunning photos and videos. We make it easy.
- Save it all: All your pictures in one place. Take them everywhere.
- Advanced editing: Gorgeous live filters. Powerful editing tools. All for free.

Helpful Tips:
- Capture the world in all new HD video you can share to Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter.
- Explore our editing tools: Levels, Crop, Color Balance, Contrast, Saturation and more.
- Follow friends and the world's best photographers. Always discover something new.
- Customize your privacy settings so you can make a photo as public or private as you like.
- Take lots of photos! Everyone gets 1,000GB of free storage.
Flickr can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Flickr Debuts Redesigned iOS App With Live Filters, HD Video Recording

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Much like the redesigned flickr website, this update shows immense promise with a few little niggles. Glad Yahoo have finally realised flickr could become it's own social network if marketed correctly.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
yay i finally managed to link my fb linked flickr to an yahoo id which means i can sign onto flickr on iOS at last

oh the redesign is great too :D

goatless

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
Blue No More

Glad they got rid of the blue background for the camera icon, so that the color means what's selected. I always found it inconsistent with UIs.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Bulk Download?

Still no bulk download feature to download all or part of your pics?? :mad:

..I mean via browser, not so much a gripe with the iOS app itself.

memcpy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
I hate filters just because my mom accidentally left the "make all photos blue-tinted and low-res-looking" filter on in her Camera app for a week. Yes, she doesn't understand technology. Batches of photos ruined. Couldn't it at least keep the regular one too?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Yahoo doesn't understand Instagram already exists. They've turned Flickr into a junk repository.

Make the site not suck, and make it work on tablets (unbelievable this has to be said in 2014). Best way to get users back.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I hate filters just because my mom accidentally left the "make all photos blue-tinted and low-res-looking" filter on in her Camera app for a week. Yes, she doesn't understand technology. Batches of photos ruined. Couldn't it at least keep the regular one too?

You do realize that the filters can be removed/applied after they're taken through the camera app.....right? So no, your moms photos are not ruined. Go in photos, open the pictures, tap the edit button, and then remove the filter. Tada!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Agree.

Hate that Flickr has moved in this direction and am in the process of closing my account.

You don't actually have to use the filters. :eek:

I wish they would:

1) support multiple user accounts - I use one account for private family photos, I use another for my serious photography in a public fashion.

2) iPad app. 500px has one. Flickr has many more resource to make this happen.

3) Tablet browsers. Using Flickr on a tablet is a bad experience. Fix this.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I didnt buy an ipad retina to watch photos on my small phone. Why is the new version not universal?

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
The new Flickr insisted I share my Google info or create a Yahoo ID. As I didn't want to do either I was denied access fo my account which Ive had for a few years.

So I deleted the app. Major FAIL guys.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Yahoo's destruction of Flickr is the most upsetting techno-apocolypse of my life. I've spent many hours trying to work out what they think they're achieving with the infinite scrolling, the removal of the 'recent uploads' feed, the ridiculously small comments area... it's beyond belief.

Flickr was for several years a huge part of my online life, and I've half a dozen Flickr friends who made the transition from 'on line' to 'real life', but now it's simply unusable for anything other than off-site archiving.

I don't understand claims that it's going in a more 'social network' direction, when many of the changes appear almost deliberately designed to make conversation with existing friends, and the making of new friends, as difficult as possible.

The iApp was a ghostly reminder of what Flickr was once like – a much more navigable and pleasant experience than the website – but it's evident that Yahoo have now turned their attention to screwing that up, too.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm not really digging the UI change of Flickr web site, but I really like the new app design. But I usually only use the app to add images as favorites or comment on friends photos.

lux9488

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Toronto, ON
I can't get logged into the stupid thing
I seem to be in an eternal loop of validating my password only for it to be locked again

Are you still having issues? If so, here's how to fix it, sign into Flickr from Safari on your iPhone. If it asks you to unlock your account again, do it. This time it will be unlocked for good.

I believe this registers your device with Flickr.

Let me know if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.