Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the leak of an alleged iPhone 6 front panel earlier this week, the iPad is now getting its turn with a pair of photos showing what is said to be a front panel for the next-generation iPad Air, shared by Dutch site One More Thing [Google Translate]. Notably, the part appears to include an integrated display in contrast to the separate panel and display parts used on the current model. A move to an integrated front panel/display would reduce overall thickness, potentially allowing Apple to further slim down the iPad Air or make room for other components such as a slightly larger battery.

ipad_air_2_panel_back.jpg

MacRumors spoke with iFixit co-founder Kyle Wiens, who noted that the assembly could indeed be legitimate and use a manufacturing process similar to that seen on the Retina MacBook Pro. The move to an integrated panel/display would increase repair costs, but ease of repair has not been a particularly major focus for Apple and the company already uses an integrated display on the iPhone.

ipad_air_2_panel_front.jpg

The next-generation iPad Air is expected to launch later this year, with notable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicting that upgraded iPad Air and Retina iPad mini models will debut in the third quarter of this year and adopt the Touch ID system introduced on the iPhone 5s last year.

(Thanks, Rogier!)

Article Link: Alleged iPad Air 2 Front Panel with Integrated Display Shown in New Photos

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Make thinner display, bigger battery. The same overall thickness as the current air, I would be happy.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'd shoot for slightly larger battery.

this way the case manufacturers keep the same design and folks upgrading won't need to rebuy a case.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What else is in that box below the display? Whiffle balls? Are Apple's manufacturing partners diversifying? And are they lighting the room with neon?

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
YAY!!!

The only bad thing about the iPad Air is that the screen feels really hollow and cheap. I also hate seeing that gap between the lcd and screen.

It's crazy to think the iPad Air can get even MORE thinner :eek:

AppleAlex!

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
UK
Those legs in the background are quite distracting....

On a more apple related note, the quest for thinness and lightness continues, surely there has to be a point where apple will stop making devices thinner and improve on battery. Or I suppose battery technology will continue to get better so they can continue to make thinner devices.... who knows

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Current air already feels cheap due to thin glass on display. This would be a step backwards too

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
"MacRumors spoke with iFixit co-founder Kyle Wiens, who noted that the assembly could indeed be legitimate and use a manufacturing process similar to that seen on the Retina MacBook Pro."

If that's the case, would touch capability eventually be added into the MacBooks?

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Well - if Apple moves to a 3rd quarter, 4th quarter release for everything - how's this site gonna hold up? :)

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
This is where THIN is more important than that of a Macbook Pro. Keep the thinner and longer batter life iPads and iPhone. Give us our function back in the Macbook Pro line.

----------

I'd shoot for slightly larger battery.

this way the case manufacturers keep the same design and folks upgrading won't need to rebuy a case.

They will tweak it ever so slightly at minimum. New cases at $30-$80 (which cost them $2-$5) are a cash cow for Apple. Can't let you re-use the old one, no money in that. Kinda like making your Macbook Pro soldered and glue together so you can't repair, but rather only be able to replace it.

So much for being a "GREEN" company :) LOL

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I know that it is likely the end of the 3rd quarter when these get released, but I hope apple moves it up a bit. I would think getting product out througout the year would help them versus having their sales lag in the first half with no hardware releases and then have the sales bump only at the end of the year. I for one and ready to buy the new ipad with touch id and my wife is already trying to take my current ipad away, so this would be a win for everyone, Apple/me/my wife. Although, i just need to be careful that she does not end up with the new one :D

Last edited:

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I would have thought there are sufficient clues in those photos for Apple to identify the location and get their own version of SEAL Team 6 mobilised to plug the leak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.