Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

radioshack.png
Beginning tomorrow, Radio Shack will be selling the 16GB iPhone 5s for $99 with two-year contract on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. This is $100 off the standard $199 price and one of the lowest prices we've seen for a new iPhone 5s.

It's unclear if the price drop will be permanent or just a temporary price, but a source at Radio Shack says the promotion does not currently have an end date. For many, the discount will matter less with the new pay-by-the-month phone financing plans offered by AT&T and Verizon, but for customers still on a two-year contract plan, the $100 discount could encourage customers to choose the iPhone 5s over the 5c.

Radio Shack has sold the iPhone since 2009 and has often offered discounts on refreshed and new iPhones numerous times a year. Radio Shack is offering trade-ins on older iPhones, including a minimum of $100 on the iPhone 4s, meaning customers trading in that phone can receive the iPhone 5s for free.

Article Link: RadioShack Drops iPhone 5s Price to $99

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is interesting? A 16gig 5s for $99 or a 8gig 5c for $99 -- tough choice, right? But if you are upgrading from an older iPhone, you can essentially make either transaction free (with a two year contract with the devil of your choice of course).

Not sure I see the logic of this, unless they are already dropping the 5c price.

As I said, interesting...

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
So either the iP6 is soon, or RadioShack finally admits they desperately need customers.

Actually, RadioShack, WalMart, BestBuy, etc are taking a hit on the down payment price because their real revenue comes from the bounty for getting people to sign up for a contract.

It has nothing to do with inventory, it is all about driving traffic to their stores.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The iPhone latest model doesn't ever get $100 discounts unless a launch of the new model is only 3 months away or summer

SUMMER LAUNCH

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
The iPhone latest model doesn't ever get $100 discounts unless a launch of the new model is only 3 months away or summer

SUMMER LAUNCH

As great as that'd be, I really doubt Radio Shack is the one store with an inside scoop.

memcpy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
All I remember is that RadioShack didn't have the key component of a crystal radio when I tried to buy one from their store, and the employee didn't even know what I was talking about. Misleading name.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
So sad

Way too cheap to sell

Wtf?. You actually prefer to pay more then..could you explain the reasons behind that...

Just realised... U want 50 million handsets sold a quarter so u can brag about all the profits... But want to pretend that only high powered execs can afford them cos they are so expensive.. heaven forbid that the asbo chav brigade adopt them.... Whoops.. too late!

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

SUMMER LAUNCH

RadioShack's stock was down 16.5% yesterday because they are struggling to get approval from lenders on a plan to close 1100 stores. My guess is that this move is more one of desperation on their part. Amazon and the remaining big box stores have rendered their business model obsolete.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
All I remember is that RadioShack didn't have the key component of a crystal radio when I tried to buy one from their store, and the employee didn't even know what I was talking about. Misleading name.

25-30 years ago, not only would the clerk know what you're talking about, they could take you right to the part you needed, and offer you choices based on their own personal experience. RadioShack is no longer the specialty/hobbyist store it once was. Now, they are nothing more than your run-of-the-mill electronics store; no different from any other.

How does any of this affect their ability to sell you a phone for $100 less than the competition? It doesn't.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011

SUMMER LAUNCH

Doubt it. Radioshack has put the latest iPhone down to $99 around holidays and sometimes during their 2-3 day sales quite a few times over the past couple years.

EDIT: Although I supposed they could look at general release date timelines, compare that with their inventory, and be trying to get rid of some of it now very quickly before people stop buying in anticipation of the next model. Something tells me they aren't doing that though.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
25-30 years ago, not only would the clerk know what you're talking about, they could take you right to the part you needed, and offer you choices based on their own personal experience. RadioShack is no longer the specialty/hobbyist store it once was. Now, they are nothing more than your run-of-the-mill electronics store; no different from any other.

How does any of this affect their ability to sell you a phone for $100 less than the competition? It doesn't.

Former Radioshack employee here. You hit the nail on the head. They stock components and lightly train employees on them but basically when someone comes in for a component the employees just say "if we have it, it'll be in the parts drawers". If you think about it though, you can't expect your minimum wage paid employees to know the ins and outs of electronic circuits.

Just my two cents.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Former Radioshack employee here. You hit the nail on the head. They stock components and lightly train employees on them but basically when someone comes in for a component the employees just say "if we have it, it'll be in the parts drawers". If you think about it though, you can't expect your minimum wage paid employees to know the ins and outs of electronic circuits.

Just my two cents.

Ummm…I respectfully disagree. 40 years ago people who worked in Radio Shack were knowledgeable regardless of what they were being paid (minimum wage was $1.75 in the early 70's). I recall walking in to their stores to buy parts for building a multiple frequency tone generator (to build a touch tone phone to make free long distance calls) and for parts to build a pin ball machine. The clerk knew immediately what I was asking for and better yet he knew that the parts were in stock. I am talking resistors, rectifiers, etc…. I also had good luck with another store called Olsen Electronics back then. Most people who worked in those stores were electronic geeks who were self educated like myself. In other words, they worked there instead of working as bag boys at the grocery store. None of them had college degrees - I remember talking to them at length about some of my projects - and they even suggested short cuts. Now 40 years later you have some button pushing cowboy who wants to sell you a cell phone. Why buy a cell phone when places like MetroPCS will give you one for free - albeit it may not be the latest and greatest but it will get the job done. This is progress?

----------

I will wait for the iPhone 6. :D

Yeah exactly….if they wanted to sell phones they should offered the iPhone 5s for $99 at launch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.