Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
mainimage_us.jpg

It isnt any more!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Incoming Apple TV? :eek:

If there is this has nothing to do with this issue. The Gen 1 hasn't had a software update in like 4-5 years, the likelihood that something adjusted for security or support of current systems is highly likely. The timing is just happenstance, more likely related to the SSL oops from last month than any upcoming device.

THAT SAID, I do rather hope there is a new box. One with some kick, a bit more storage and for heavens sake let's get support for iTunes extras/LP in there. That and h.265 would be features to really kick Apple's game up, especially if they went more quality at same size (and price) and for things more to bluray quality. First out of that gate could prove quite the win for anyone

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
A total misquote and the reason why the down one button needs to come back

1. Apple neve said their stuff is issue proof, especially using that phrase

2. You are talking about a nearly full seven year old device, running ages old software. Time to move on from it and stop expecting it to act like it should be running just as well as when it was new.

Why not should a seven year old device work as it did ever so well only a few days ago? I like my first gen Apple TV. Why? Local storage! Something the newer models lack.

Just because some device is older than average, doesn't make it useless. Plenty of old white plastic MacBooks are still working just fine as they should. But no, since they're "old" it's time to upgrade to a new Mac or otherwise simply due to its age despite its potential.

If the down vote option was still around, you may be having a serving of humble pie.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Whether they do or don't is personal and private. It's a Sunday. Typically Corporate, especially the engineers etc are working Monday to Friday so they wouldn't be at the office on a Sunday anyway. And it's highly unlikely that Apple is going to call a Code Red and demand everyone come on a Sunday, that also happens to be a holiday, for an issue with a product that is legally obsolete etc. Particularly when the cut of owners is likely very by small at this point. It will wait until tomorrow.

Engineers in charge of servers that may be causing this outage will be on call, the entire company and every division in it won't shut down on Sunday, not when Customers are unable to access a service as big as that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm.. Phone 4 users losing FaceTime ability and now this? Seems more than just a coincidence...?

If Apple did cut of these users they should have absolutely given prior warning. Thats what other companies would do.

That's a big IF. And why would they do it now? Why some random week in April?

doctrsnoop

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014
New Apple TV's aren't expensive, that's not really an issue for most people.

I have one of each gen Apple TV. The oldest first gen one is attached to an older LCD front projection with component in only.

I'll have to go see what happened.

If it loses much functionality I'll have to investigate HDMI to component converters.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

It isnt any more!

Oh God, shut up about this. Almost every one of your posts seems to be looking forward to the next Apple outage, just so you can make some dumb, unhelpful, sarcastic comment.

It's a 7-year old device, and the outage is likely to be purely accidental after some under-the-hood update. It's not a conspiracy, and it's not planned. And it'll be fixed soon enough.

Why some of you people even joined is behind me.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The whole functionality has gone to pot. It takes an age now to move the cursor from item to item but if you have downloads on the atv they play normally. Eventually.

I did find a temporary fix if you have a lot of existing content on your original ATV.

If you used a cat 5 connection like I did for fast HD streaming, unplug the cable and reboot. Do NOT connect over WiFi.

Those who have been using Wifi, connect a Ethernet cable into the Apple TV and connect the other end to a router that does NOT have a active or live connection to the internet. Or just wipe your WiFi settings with a Cat5 cable connected but just let it hang.

Existing content is once again viewable on mine with no UI lag. It may take a bit of experimentation but for the interim, you can watch your currently loaded content and music library without a problem afterwards.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Engineers in charge of servers that may be causing this outage will be on call, the entire company and every division in it won't shut down on Sunday, not when Customers are unable to access a service as big as that.

While yes there are probably folks on call they aren't likely to to be call over this issue. Not if this is the only issue. It's old tech, it potentially affects a scant number of folks even among Apple TV users (most would likely have moved on ages ago to get things like HD video support, Netflix etc). It's not a high priority issues.

If it were something that affected the entire iTunes Store system and all users, sure someone would be called in. Same for iCloud, etc. Because that's millions of users being affected. First Gen Apple TV has issues connecting to the stores, probably not even 1 millions users and how much of an issue is that since the devices apparently work just fine with what is in local storage etc. One day, even a few days, of not being able to connect and buy something new isn't going to end the world.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
It's like the flicked a switch and killed the Apple TV1. Even content stored on the hard drive doesn't play properly, the whole system has gone really slow and playback is jumpy and unwatchable. I know it's old but a couple of days ago it was working perfectly, it does everything I want, so why should I upgrade it?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
The Store no longer works on iTunes 9.2.1 either (ie. OS X 10.4 Tiger users). Which makes my iMac G3 jukebox that little bit more obsolete. Obviously my iMac is a lot older than the ATV but I'm assuming it was done through one clean sweep (ie. the iTunes 9 API's are what the ATV1 rely on, resulting in a domino effect).

Lucky thing for ATV1 owners is that it's ridiculously hackable. So I say go wild.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
New Apple TV's aren't expensive, that's not really an issue for most people.

I have one of each gen Apple TV. The oldest first gen one is attached to an older LCD front projection with component in only.

I'll have to go see what happened.

If it loses much functionality I'll have to investigate HDMI to component converters.

You're looking in the wrong direction. Disable the active network that your ATV is on and all should return to normal.

Not that it would need a converter anyway. They (first gen Apple TV) have component jacks on the rear unless your TV is lacking in input options

I'd buy a new Apple TV if only it had internal storage options like the original. Sure $99 is cheap for a newer iOS based model but useless to me as many features of it are negated by the existing apps in my BD player including a massive amount of video streaming options and lifetime commercial free use of Pandora.

So a current model Apple TV is rather trivial.

Most of my purchased content is in the Apple ecosystem so the first generation model is nearly ideal. It would be even better if it wasn't such a pain to upgrade the internal HDD. My 160GB is stuffed!

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I have a better question when is Apple or Netflix going to fix the Dolby Surround issue?:mad: Really annoying when 2 months has passed by and no fix for it yet.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
While yes there are probably folks on call they aren't likely to to be call over this issue. Not if this is the only issue. It's old tech, it potentially affects a scant number of folks even among Apple TV users (most would likely have moved on ages ago to get things like HD video support, Netflix etc). It's not a high priority issues.

If it were something that affected the entire iTunes Store system and all users, sure someone would be called in. Same for iCloud, etc. Because that's millions of users being affected. First Gen Apple TV has issues connecting to the stores, probably not even 1 millions users and how much of an issue is that since the devices apparently work just fine with what is in local storage etc. One day, even a few days, of not being able to connect and buy something new isn't going to end the world.

Outages are very bad for companies image. I highly doubt they wouldn't be called out.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The Store no longer works on iTunes 9.2.1 either (ie. OS X 10.4 Tiger users). Which makes my iMac G3 jukebox that little bit more obsolete. Obviously my iMac is a lot older than the ATV but I'm assuming it was done through one clean sweep (ie. the iTunes 9 API's are what the ATV1 rely on, resulting in a domino effect).

Lucky thing for ATV1 owners is that it's ridiculously hackable. So I say go wild.

Surprisingly, active support for the original Apple TV is in the latest iTunes app on Mavericks 10.9.2

I did a full restore trying to get down to the cause of the problem. The gen one Apple TV is visible over the network in its current state or directly connected to your Mac over a Ethernet cable to take advantage of the higher speeds of 100Mbps without signal drop (speaking of which I did have some issues maintaining a connection while updating my iOS apps.)

Anyway, the original legacy model works perfectly fine without an ACTIVE internet connection for the time being. I normally have mine connected directly to my internet gateway which is a combined modem and router from Comcast.

After all the troubleshooting, killing the active internet connection to the legacy model Apple TV will restore its functionality so you can view or listen to any content you have stored on it.

Until Apple gets a fix out, mine after pulling the Ethernet cable has worked just fine with every movie, show, and song stored on it.

This is the last time I will post this temporary "fix" until Apple gets their side of the store working or if we see the impossible. Such as a firmware update.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Two pages and 45 comments of people arguing "Conspiracy" and "It Just Works" and a bunch of other "they need to fix this, call code red" "who's cares if this is easter sunday, this is BS" but so far no one has commented that they have been affected:rolleyes:

Maybe I should dust off my first generation Apple TV from the closet and plug it in just so that i can complain that its not working, maybe then this thread will get back on topic instead of all these "A series of controlled events that force users to buy or upgrade to their newest products"

EDIT:
I just plugged it in and its not working. I'm outraged now, how can this be, it was working just fine 3 years ago the last time I used it.

Something goes wrong and everyone loves to jump on the bandwagon to complain even if they are not actually affected, justice must be done.

jamescobalt

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
iMessage issues related to server changes?

Starting at this same time I discovered users on iOS 4 couldn't iMessage me on iOS 7. I've also started having issues with iCloud randomly re-activating on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac Pro, as though it was being synced to the device for the very first time.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This brings up a related issue and that it is in Apple's best interest to maintain legacy support. There is a lot of old hardware out there that is still perfectly good. People aren't going to upgrade it but as long as Apple offer's legacy support people do keep buying content.

Apple should make their current iOS, MacOSX, iTunes, etc all continue to run on old hardware with graceful fall back on features that simply aren't possible to support. This would mean greater market penetration for Apple since these old machines are at a lower price point and already in the market. Eventually people do upgrade to newer hardware and there is plenty of new market as well.

There is no significant support cost to Apple since they don't offer support to end users. Just keep supporting the hardware so people can keep buying content and connecting.

nadador

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
My first-gen Apple TV hasn't worked with the iTunes store for quite awhile. I'd LOVE to replace it with a new one but it's on an older TV in my bedroom that doesn't have HDMI input, so I would also have to buy a new TV which I don't want to do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.