Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report from The Wall Street Journal today highlights the increasing competition between Apple and Google to gain exclusive games for their respective iOS and Android platforms. According to the report, both companies have been offering developers promotional perks, such as premium placement on their app store home pages, in exchange for the first rights to a title.

apple_google_logo-800x283.jpg
For instance, the popular title Cut The Rope 2 was reportedly part of an exclusivity agreement between Apple and and developer ZeptoLab:
ZeptoLab's sequel to its popular puzzle game "Cut the Rope", introduced in December, reflected a similar pattern. The company and Apple agreed to about a three-month window of exclusivity for Apple's App Store, in exchange for the store prominently promoting the game, one person familiar with the matter said. ZeptoLab launched an Android version in late March.
The report also notes a promotional agreement between Apple and EA to launch Plants VS. Zombies 2 on iOS two months before its release on Android. This is in line with a story from Giant Bomb last September that shared similar details. However, while both companies denied the claims and stated that no money was exchanged as asserted by the original story, The Wall Street Journal notes that Apple doesn't offer money for game exclusives, but rather just marketing and promotional assistance.

Plants VS. Zombies 2 was prominently featured by Apple during the week of its release, as it was mentioned on the App Store Facebook page and featured in top banners on the App Store itself.

Amazon has also carried out similar practices, offering promotional spots on its Amazon Appstore in order for the rights to launch games on its Kindle family of devices. An Amazon spokeswoman corroborated these claims, stating that the company "works with many developers to bring their apps to the Amazon Appstore." The company's new Fire TV media streaming box, which was released earlier this month, contains dedicated support for games, even offering a $39 wireless Fire game controller.

The news also comes as the amount of money spent by consumers on mobile content grows. According to the results of a study done by research firms IDC and App Annie, mobile games accounted for $16 billion of app sales, jumping 2.3x over the past year.

Article Link: Apple and Google Vying for Exclusive Games from Developers With Promotional Perks

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
One would think that if there's no monetary gain for gaming companies from Apple or Google, it at least helps promote the game on that platform, hopefully enough so that when it is released on the rival platform, people are still interested.

I don't see this helping either Apple or Google convert buyers into iOS or Android, but it may entice gaming companies to choose one over the other first.

The question is, which has better marketing and promotional value for gaming companies?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This is actually very critical for Apple. With google, Amazon, and Microsoft competiting in the media and game industry, Apple's long term success could depend on having strong relations with developers and media companies for key content and deals. I hope Apple will stay on top of that and not let arrogance stop them.

Plus, we need more variants of Angry Birds!

Last edited:

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I realize they aren't the only ones doing this particular thing, but I am so tired of Google trying to take over the world... -_-

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I realize they aren't the only ones doing this particular thing, but I am so tired of Google trying to take over the world... -_-

I'm tired of them taking over world by getting into everyone's business first, literally and figuratively.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
$16 billion of mobile app sales. I can certainly understand why. This can only be a win for the game developers for now. Not that Apple & Google won't be getting their share of the pie as well.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Oh boy, I can't wait for those exclusive fremium apps to justify my iPhone ;)

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Having an exclusive game isn't going to make me go through the trouble of switching phones, I just won't play the game. A phone is an ecosystem, and anyone that has gone through the trouble of switching phones and carriers, know how much trouble this is.

You don't invest thousands of dollars in an Xbox to buy a PS4 with an exclusive game unless you're rich.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Having an exclusive game isn't going to make me go through the trouble of switching phones, I just won't play the game. A phone is an ecosystem, and anyone that has gone through the trouble of switching phones and carriers, know how much trouble this is.

You don't invest thousands of dollars in an Xbox to buy a PS4 with an exclusive game unless you're rich.

I'm getting a Wii U ONLY for Smash Bros :O

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I'm getting a Wii U ONLY for Smash Bros :O

Incredibly short-sighted to leave Mario Kart on the table, tsk tsk ;)

My brother and 3 co-workers took a week off work to spend at a cabin with Mario Kart playing for drinks a couple years back... and a new Mario Kart is coming out soon... :eek:

I don't get the desire for exclusivity. It ruined Halo because it hamstrung Bungie developers' freedom by adding one more level of bureaucracy between great game and player. Unless you are a very poor developer, the loss of freedom should outweigh the guaranteed upfront income.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
The only time i really care about games is when I'm stuck on a long flight and am bored out of my mind but by that time its too late anyways because i don't find it rational to buy wifi to download a new game. iPhone/iPad is such a great product that is ignored by so many companies that have apps for mac/pc for businesses related purposes but release only toy versions or none at all for iOS/android. Hope this will get more serious soon.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Consoles are a different matter, as people buy them for games and only games... But would having a few extra game titles on a phone really sway someone to buy it over a competitor? Especially seeing as there are so so many mobile games these days.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I think apple is very smart to do that. It looks better when someone tells someone to get this awesome app and then them look and it's not there. It might get them thinking that iOS has the better apps

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

Yeah. They should just rely on one product and risk liquidation after eventually slowly people get sick of them and others start improving themselves.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
At Google, Inc in executive managers meeting,
Executive manager A: Let us focus on Google glass this year.
Executive manager B: Don't drop the ball on Project Ara and Google contact lens too.
Executive manager C: We needs to make balloons internet work on those areas that Internet is unreachable guys.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, At Apple, Inc.
Executive manager D: We needs these games for couple months exclusive.
Executive manager E: Let us get Cut of the Rope 2 too.
Executive manager F: Guys, we also need to bring back Flappy Bird.
Tim Cook: Yeah, Flappy Bird on a giant screen phone should be unbeatable. This is a breakthrough.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014

If they provide services for free that folk want in great numbers how is that a problem...

Let me guess tho that you would be more than fine with every man, woman and child the world over carrying a small mobile.device with a fruit on the back..

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

they already have..... most people use Google for search. Live it, or lump it. No harm in this...

Its competition. which gave will i get first and highlighted, front and center.

What's wrong with that ? If everyone came out with apps cross platform at the same and nothing been "favored" it would be boring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.