Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
As more and more information is surfacing about the iPhone 6, some people are creating impressive renderings based on leaked schematics, molds and front panels. These renderings are always shown in comparison next to iPhones, but I want to see what it could look like next to the competition: the Android phones.

If the rumors are true, at least one model of the iPhone 6 will contain a 16:9 4.7” screen. When you think about it realistically the iPhone 6 will have a home button with a finger print scanner the same size as the iPhone 5S. Also will the top and bottom bezels have the same height for symmetry. The side bezels will be smaller than the iPhone 5S, but they will not be non-existing.

Based on this I’ve created the following comparisons, starting with the iPhones 5S and 4S.

YPDJXk4.jpg

As you can see, the iPhone 6 will be significantly taller and wider even though I’ve reduced the side and bottom bezels. People were hoping for a larger screen in the same body as the 5S, but with a 4.7” screen this is impossible as the 5S is 59,2mm wide and a 16:9 4.7” screen is roughly 58,5mm wide.

Next up, two small 4.7” Android phones.

c4zTD3m.jpg

As both the Moto X and G2 Mini have on-screen buttons, they are able to reduce the bezel on the bottom. Both phones are also not symmetrical, so it’s a lot easier for them to be significantly smaller than the iPhone 6.

Now the two 4.7” flagship phones of yore.

Vg53dYb.jpg

I think it’s save to say that the iPhone 6 will roughly have the same height as the One (m7), which in my opinion is a phone that is too tall for its screen size. HTC has the “excuse” that they need the height for their boom speakers. I’m really curious what Apple’s explanation will be. At least it will be a lot less wide than the One or Galaxy S3.

Over to some bigger screened phones.

KV9AayF.jpg

I remember when the Nexus 5 was presented, I was disappointed that it had almost the same internals as the G2, but with a smaller screen. Even still, both phone have larger screens (5” and 5.2”) and still manage to be less tall than the iPhone 6.

And the final comparison, this year’s flagships.

SYGjdwt.jpg

As both the One (m8) and Galaxy S5 are larger in every way, they do have larger screens and either have speakers in the bezels or IP67 rating.

My personal conclusion is that if the iPhone 6 will have a 4.7” screen, a home button with finger print scanner and symmetrical top and bottom bezels, it will definitely not be impressive size wise (probably only in thinness). You might even call it disappointing, as there are 2013 and even 2012 Android phones with the same screen size in a smaller package.
Apple has certain design principles, but with the iPhone 6 it looks like it might stand in the way of creating an engineering marvel.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
As more and more information is surfacing about the iPhone 6, some people are creating impressive renderings based on leaked schematics, molds and front panels. These renderings are always shown in comparison next to iPhones, but I want to see what it could look like next to the competition: the Android phones.

Thanks, very nice to see them all side by side like that! :)

I agree that last year's One felt a tad too tall for its screen size. My initial reaction to the iPhone 6 here is similar, but I'm not as sure. The top bezel does look large but perhaps in combination with a really thin phone it would look good anyway.

In any case I'm confident that the iPhone 6 will be a stunner to look at.

(BTW if you feel like it, it would be awesome if you made the same comparison shots but with a 5.5" iPhone too!)

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
If we believe in Apple´s ability to design hardware with usabilty as a priority, I have to believe that the iPhone will not be symmetrical from top to bottom. As you noted, the HTC One is indeed too tall. And the S5 is entirely too wide. If Apple does a 4.7" phone, I have to believe it'll be roughly the same size as the Moto X.

One thing I've realized after using the S5 is that it's damn near impossible to use one-handed. I can't see Apple making this same mistake.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
If we believe in Apple´s ability to design hardware with usabilty as a priority, I have to believe that the iPhone will not be symmetrical from top to bottom. As you noted, the HTC One is indeed too tall. And the S5 is entirely too wide. If Apple does a 4.7" phone, I have to believe it'll be roughly the same size as the Moto X.

I don't see that happening. Design means everything to Apple, so there's no way they would go for asymmetrical bezels so long as they keep the same sized home button. If that weren't the case, then the top bezel on every iphone would have been thinner the the bottom one to keep the footprint down.

Going by the comparisons above the fact that the iphone 6 is noticeably narrower than its Android counterparts is what Apple will trumpet when it's unveiled - that and moving the power button to the side. You just know that Johnny Ive will go on stage and announce that they've created the first large-screened phone that can be used one-handed :rolleyes:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I don't see that happening. Design means everything to Apple, so there's no way they would go for asymmetrical bezels so long as they keep the same sized home button. If that weren't the case, then the top bezel on every iphone would have been thinner the the bottom one to keep the footprint down.

Going by the comparisons above the fact that the iphone 6 is noticeably narrower than its Android counterparts is what Apple will trumpet when it's unveiled - that and moving the power button to the side. You just know that Johnny Ive will go on stage and announce that they've created the first large-screened phone that can be used one-handed :rolleyes:

I disagree actually. I don't think there is anything in there design philosophy that requires symmetry. I think they care a lot about good design, but good design is as much about usability as it is about appearances. We will see soon I suppose.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
I really hope they don't put the power button on the side for the 4.7". I would understand doing it for the larger 5+ in. but I'm just not a fan of it on the side.

Last edited:

SestoElemento

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
Apple would never allow the phone to be unusable one handed. IT is against their principles and it'll be impossible for them to do so after all the noise they made regarding the thumb and being able to reach all parts of the screen etc.

I'm sure usability and great product experience is at the top of the requirement/priority list at apple and hopefully they keep it that way.

Fingers crossed on this one!

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010

I agree that last year's One felt a tad too tall for its screen size. My initial reaction to the iPhone 6 here is similar, but I'm not as sure. The top bezel does look large but perhaps in combination with a really thin phone it would look good anyway.

(BTW if you feel like it, it would be awesome if you made the same comparison shots but with a 5.5" iPhone too!)

That's what I've been thinking too. If it's really thin, as in less than 7mm, it could make up for the tallness. But on the other hand, most would prefer a large battery. I do hope Apple will surprise us, but I just think this will be it.

I will try to make a 5.5" iPhone too :)

One thing I've realized after using the S5 is that it's damn near impossible to use one-handed. I can't see Apple making this same mistake.

I just don't see an asymmetrical iPhone happen, even though it would make more sense footprint wise. The Sharp Aquos Mini is a good example of what you could do without a top bezel.

sharp-aquos-xx-mini-303sh-1.jpg

Sharp-Aquos-Phone-Xx-302sh-comparison.jpg

You only need to get used to it :)

Apple would never allow the phone to be unusable one handed. IT is against their principles and it'll be impossible for them to do so after all the noise they made regarding the thumb and being able to reach all parts of the screen etc.

I'm sure usability and great product experience is at the top of the requirement/priority list at apple and hopefully they keep it that way.

Fingers crossed on this one!

They propagated one-handed usage on a phone 6 years ago. A 4.7" or 5.5" device is something that most people see as an internet communications device instead of a traditional phone. The mobile world has changed a lot and so have peoples needs. Many use their phone or phablet to read, mail, browse, message, game, etc and using two hands is almost more common than one hand. I think that iOS8 will see more gestures to make one-handend use more easy on a larger screened device.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA

Symmetrical bezels has actually been an integral part of iDevice design since day one.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Symmetrical bezels has actually been an integral part of iDevice design since day one.

Really? First iPhone was not symmetrical on the back. Ipod mini? IPod nano? Neither are symmetrical. The iPhone 4s was not symmetrical (vertically).

Symmetry may be preferable in some scenarios but cannot trump usability and the designers at Apple clearly understand this.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Really? First iPhone was not symmetrical on the back. Ipod mini? IPod nano? Neither are symmetrical. The iPhone 4s was not symmetrical (vertically).

Symmetry may be preferable in some scenarios but cannot trump usability and the designers at Apple clearly understand this.

Okay not counting things like the iPod classic. I mean the current Pods, Pads, and Phones. All are symmetrical. And... yes the 4s is symmetrical. So was the first one.

What does that mean "on the back"? How is something symmetrical "on the back"?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Okay not counting things like the iPod classic. I mean the current Pods, Pads, and Phones. All are symmetrical. And... yes the 4s is symmetrical. So was the first one.

What does that mean "on the back"? How is something symmetrical "on the back"?

He means this

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
With all this talk about a larger iPhone, It'll be hysterical if Apple keeps it the same size as the 5 and 5S.

I figured if Apple added an extra row for icons with the introduction of the 5/5S, I expect they'll market the new iPhone 6 adding an extra column.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
What apple could do is put the home button on the side of the device and reduce the top and bottom bezels, but I don't know how touch ID would work or how people would react to the change.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I can't wait to grab that 4.7" option when it comes out. But I hope that they ditch the symmetry philosophy for the purpose of making the phone comparable in size to the 4.7" Android in the original post. I'm also hoping that the next iPhone isn't made any thinner than it already is. I kind of hope it gets slightly thicker cause I feel the 5/5s is too thin at times. Or at least make the edges more comfortable in the hand.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011

Looks like the iPhone 6 will retain a ppi of 326
While the Galaxy S5, Nexus and HTC ONE had 440+ ppi..... Apple is falling behind

Only on 1GB of RAM on the iPhone 6,another bummer!

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Looks like the iPhone 6 will retain a ppi of 326
While the Galaxy S5, Nexus and HTC ONE had 440+ ppi..... Apple is falling behind

Only on 1GB of RAM on the iPhone 6,another bummer!

Tell me...when have you ever noticed the difference, without looking up close at your screen, between the pixel densities of the iPhone and a phone with 440 PPI? The only place where I could probably see a difference, is how detailed the folder icons would be on the home screen, but unless you stare at those icons in all of your free time, nobody (sorry if you can, but I am writing based on mine and most people I know's experiences) is going to see any major differences in details or image quality. Or, has the iPhone ever experienced any slowdowns or lag because of "only" 1 GB of RAM?

Basically, don't fix what isn't broken.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The Moto-X is pretty small despite the 4.7". The overall size feels great.

Apple should take notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.