Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I was wondering if there's an app where you can like put marks on a map for places that you've been, maybe even have it show a picture you saved for that place. Kinda to like have a history of where I've been.

If anybody knows of one lemme know! :)

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I use one called "Trails" for when I mountain bike or hike. It does exactly what you asked about - maps your trip & allows you to annotate it with photos. Plus, you can upload the trip to google earth.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
All of those assume you have your iPhone with you. There's nothing for earlier trips. I've looked since the App Store was opened.

You want an iPhone app that tracks your trip - when you don't have the iPhone with you? I must be missing something...

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I've been to 34 states and 24 countries. 95% of those have been pre-iPhone. It would be nice to have an app that shows a globe (like Google Earth but can be simpler). Drop a push pin of one color of places you've visited (and can add notes and photos), drop a different color pin for your significant other and another for places you want to visit.

That's what I've been looking for.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I've been to 34 states and 24 countries. 95% of those have been pre-iPhone. It would be nice to have an app that shows a globe (like Google Earth but can be simpler). Drop a push pin of one color of places you've visited (and can add notes and photos), drop a different color pin for your significant other and another for places you want to visit.

I'm pretty sure you can do at least some of that with the built-in Maps app as well as MotionX GPS.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
The built in photos app does this now.

What I want though is something like the Facebook "where i've been app" to mark countries where you've been, where you want to go to, and where you don't have any interest in ever going. Something like that, without involving Facebook.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
There are also a few social apps for people who travel that will let you set up events for places traveled... can't think of the name of them on hand though :-(

maxman69

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
I just found out that an app I've had for 2 years does something like what you want. Datamonitor app has a feature that maps all the cell towers you've used in the last 2, 14, 30, or 60 days. You have to zoom way out cuz it opens on your current location and you think it's not working. Middle button bottom toolbar app home screen.

concretewater

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014

I have been looking for EXACTLY the same thing. Have you found anything yet? I think I've got a couple options.

The first (and so far, best) is The Travelist (published by Arriving in High Heels). The link is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-travelist/id846983349?mt=8 I love this one, because it seems to be very similar to Facebook's Where I've Been. Whole countries are highlighted when you added them to "I've been" or "I want to go." Perfect. And the app is free.

Another option is National Geographic's World Atlas. I downloaded this one a few years ago (and just redownloaded it) so I'm not a hundred percent sure what the price is since I bought it a while back (and on my phone, it doesn't show the price- since I've already bought it, it just says "Open.") anyways the maps are very high quality, and you can drop pins on locations, and the pins can be color coded. They already have Places I've Been and Places I Want to Visit. The rest of the pins are just labeled by the names of the colors, so I'm assuming you can edit the labels, although I haven't tried it yet.

I hope you find this helpful! And if you've found any other app that satisfied you, please let me know! I'd love to check it out. :)

Cheers.

qqQpp

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
If you want to mark only the countries you visited (manually or via GPS) and like a minimalistic interface, you could try Map Explorer.

iosradetel

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Mark O'Travel

I'm use Mark O'Travel: https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/mark-otravel-tvoa-karta-putesestvij/id866778149?mt=8
screen920x920.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.