Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs biopic may be directed by Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The news comes a week after The Social Network director David Fincher failed to reach a deal with Sony, reportedly over fees.

Boyle is said to be in talks with Sony Pictures to direct the film, which uses material from Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography and will focus on three 30-minute scenes ahead of three product launches.

danny_boyle_leonardo_dicaprio.jpg
While Fincher was rumored to be interested in Christian Bale to play the role of Steve Jobs, Boyle reportedly has his eye on another big star -- Leonardo DiCaprio. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Boyle has approached DiCaprio to play Jobs in the film.

Aside from Slumdog Millionaire, Boyle has directed hits like 127 Hours, Trainspotting, and The Beach, which DiCaprio also starred in. DiCaprio has been in major films like Inception, The Wolf of Wall Street, and The Great Gatsby. Boyle was also in charge of the opening ceremonies at the 2012 Olympics in London.

Aaron Sorkin completed the script for the biopic back in January, with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak working as a consultant on the film. No potential release date has been announced.

Article Link: Leonardo DiCaprio Could Star in Sony's 'Steve Jobs' Biopic, Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Would be a hard sell. Can't see him as Jobs...

I don't see him as Jobs either.

But on the other hand. I didn't see him in any movie after being degraded to a teenage star in Titanic. And since then, he did a fantastic job in almost every movie he played in. So I'm pretty sure he'd know how to play Steve Jobs as well. Amazing actor.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmm.... whilst I do like Leo, Inception was stunning, I do feel that this is another movie exploiting Jobs to make money and not much else. I mean the film won't be true to the real story, it'll be glammed up by Hollywood.

Plus Leo, mate, you look FAR too young to play Jobs, too short and not skinny enough also.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
DiCaprio picks his movies extremely carefully. If he signs up then we know it's gonna' be good.

PS: The Beach was freaking awesome as well, so there's some good history between the two.

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
He may finally win the Oscar!!!!!!

You beat me to it, but I hope you're right. For some reason a lot of people don't like Leo, but he's been in so many of my favorite movies and done such a good job in them, it's really his turn. If he can pull this one off with Danny behind his back it might just be his time.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I love this idea! Leo is my favourite actor, and with a bit of hairdye and makeup I think they can make him look a lot like Steve...But of course it probably won't be enough to please all of his followers on this forum!

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Him as jobs - he dosent seem to be anything like Jobs - if he pulls it off though he defently should earn himself an oscar - that is if they finally agree to give him one :rolleyes:

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I wonder how realistic the movie is gonna be and which parts will be left out.

Like the part where he didn't pay child support...abandoning his daughter and her mother to the point they had to live on welfare. Or when he lied and pocketed the bonus money that Woz didn't know about.

But Steve Jobs invented the iPhone so he's a great guy:D

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Leo is an amazing actor and it will be cool to see him play someone who was far more evil and more vicious than his role as Calvin Candie in Django Unchained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.