Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the ongoing Samsung vs. Apple lawsuit, experts hired by Samsung took the stand on Monday to explain to the jury why Samsung should only pay Apple $38.4 million in damages for infringing on Apple's patents, rather than the $2 billion Apple says it is owed.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Samsung's paid expert, Judith Chevalier, a professor of economics and finance at the Yale University School of management, said a reasonable royalty on the five patents -- if they were infringed -- would be approximately $1.75 per device, a total of $38.4 million in total damages. Apple had previously argued that it was owed $40 in damages per device.

She also called Apple's patents "very negligible" in value because they were not mentioned as frequently in customer reviews as other features that are not at issue in the case.
Chevalier also pointed to Apple's accounting for each of its annual iOS software updates since 2009, which Apple pegs between "100+" and "200+" new features at each release, and come in at $10 to $25 per device in deferred revenue. Dividing the number of features, Chevalier claimed you could classify these features, on average, as costing 5 to 25 cents per feature.
Following Chevalier's testimony, Samsung rested its defense before starting its own case accusing Apple of infringing on its patents. The trial is expected to conclude and head to jury deliberations sometime next week.

Article Link: Samsung Expert Says It Only Owes Apple $40 Million in Patent Case, Not $2 Billion

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Now in select Best Buy stores. Samsung Experts. Samsung, because experts are better than gurus, which are better than geniuses. Buy our **** and have a nice day.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Their patents are "negligible" because they weren't mentioned in consumer reviews? This is the criteria that patents supposedly need to meet now? and she teaches at Yale??? Wow.

And if the features were so negligible, then why were they copied?

sean21

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
I think Samsung should pay over $40 mil but not 2 bil

Last edited:

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
There might be a conflict of interest there...

I almost had the same reaction reading "Samsung expert says" as I do when I read "industry analysts predict".

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Chevalier also pointed to Apple's accounting for each of its annual iOS software updates since 2009, which Apple pegs between "100+" and "200+" new features at each release, and come in at $10 to $25 per device in deferred revenue. Dividing the number of features, Chevalier claimed you could classify these features, on average, as costing 5 to 25 cents per feature.
Except some features are minor, some are major. Is the new dark green icons in ios 7.1 the same worth as carplay? Not all features were created equal. Trying to group them together is nothing more than lawyer bs.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Considering how much Samsung copied Apple in terms of mobile phones, $2 billion is probably the base of what Samsung owes.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Their patents are "negligible" because they weren't mentioned in consumer reviews? This is the criteria that patents supposedly need to meet now? and she teaches at Yale??? Wow.

And if the features were so negligible, then why were they copied?

No kidding. Because all consumer reviews mention every possible technology.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Samsung Expert Says Something That Would Help Keep His Job.

Now in select Best Buy stores. Samsung Experts. Samsung, because experts are better than gurus, which are better than geniuses. Buy our **** and have a nice day.

She's paid good money to spout the Samsung party line. ;)

There might be a conflict of interest there...

I almost had the same reaction reading "Samsung expert says" as I do when I read "industry analysts predict".

Here - enjoy some deeper reading. As if Apple didn't pay for "expert" witnesses either? :confused::rolleyes:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/08/apple-samsung-2-billion-damages/

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
whatever man, Apple experts did it out of the goodness of their hearts

or a case of hotpockets

I know, right?

I just love when it's so obvious what people's biases are because they lack reading comprehension - or simply ignore stories which goes against their belief system.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Forgive me that I haven't been following this ongoing saga, but it's pretty bad that out the gate you admit you're wrong and immediately concede to fight about how much you were wrong.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Forgive me that I haven't been following this ongoing saga, but it's pretty bad that out the gate you admit you're wrong and immediately concede to fight about how much you were wrong.

They didn't, the court already ruled against samsung, now they are just debating how much the settlement should be.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
They didn't, the court already ruled against samsung, now they are just debating how much the settlement should be.

Ah gotcha. At least this round of mud slinging won't be quite as protracted as the last one then.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Considering how much Samsung copied Apple in terms of mobile phones, $2 billion is probably the base of what Samsung owes.

Considering Apple made the current smart phone industry what it is (grudgingly) $2B is a pretty small number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.