Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel's third-generation Thunderbolt technology could see throughput increase to 40Gbps, double the current capacity of Thunderbolt 2, first introduced in Macs last fall, according to leaked information posted on a Chinese technology site [Google Translate].

Thunderbolt3.png
The site says Intel's new Thunderbolt controller, code-named Alpine Ridge, will see power consumption reduced by 50 percent, support for PCIe generation-3, and charging capacities of up to 100 watts. Backward compatibility will be maintained through the use of connector adapters, but the new Thunderbolt connector itself will be reduced in size.

Last April, Intel first announced Thunderbolt 2 in April before seeing it move to the Mac in October. There is no indication of when the third-generation of Thunderbolt could make its way to consumers.

Article Link: Leaked Info on Third-Generation Thunderbolt Points to 40Gbps Transfer Speeds

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Can't they just release 1 version and get it over with? All these revisions just make it impossible to take this technology to mainstream adoption. The biggest advantage of USB 2.0 wasn't the technology, it was the fact that it stuck around for over 10 years.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Woah.

Should be actually usable for high end Thunderbolt GPUs with minimal performance loss.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Thunderbolt 3 is nice but the Thunderbolt 1 ports in my 2011 iMac are still virgins. :eek:

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Yet another connector. Great.

Hopefully they at least make this one locking, like XLR mic cables. I'm REALLY TIRED of my Thunderbolt hard drives getting disconnected!!!!!

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Next Gen Mac Pro??? OMG!! TB3! DDR4! New socket/chips set!

The intel road map tells all! Next Gen Mac Pro is not doubt going to be a bigger monster then it is now! Of course that is to say apple goes for the goods available !:cool:

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
We won't see this until Skylake according to the chart, so it'll be a while (Intel's roadmap = Ivy Bridge, then Haswell, then Broadwell, then Skylake). Considering the current Mac Pros are on Ivy Bridge, it'll really be a while before it makes it to that platform (next gen MP will almost certainly have Haswell-EP). And despite Intel providing adapters to facilitate backwards-compatibility with TB1 and TB2, no one's going to adopt this as a standard if they keep changing the physical connectors.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Can't they just release 1 version and get it over with? All these revisions just make it impossible to take this technology to mainstream adoption. The biggest advantage of USB 2.0 wasn't the technology, it was the fact that it stuck around for over 10 years.

At first i was like wtf....i remember usb 2.0 being released to mainstream users in like 2003 and only now are we seeing usb 3.0 to be mainstream...meanwhile thunderbolt is getting new versions year over year.
at first i thought that sucks for developers and users/adopters/buyers...

but then i realized since the ports dont change and everything is backwards compatible.....this is actually good news.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Maybe I would be more excited if there were any accessories that I could use with the first generation Thunderbolt port.

Yeah yeah, I know there are a few accessories now, but they are all outrageously expensive.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Exactly. It's ridiculous.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Yet another connector? Why? Why does Intel in particular seem to hate Thunderbolt?

Because USB.

I think that's what it really comes down to. Thunderbolt is a little high-end plaything for them. USB is the core of the business. And if they undermine Thunderbolt because someone decides to reinvent the wheel, no matter.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Oh yes. A 2880p Thunderbolt Display @ 60Hz might be coming. That would allow as much screen estate as the current TBD (unlike 4K which would offer less) when HiDPI is enabled. It would also explain why Mavericks has 2880p wallpapers.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Why are they iterating so rapidly with versions of Thunderbolt?
Because when they showed the first version they said it was capable of 100 Gbps and that they would ramp it quickly. Which they are doing. They actually designed it to be much faster from the start instead of being pushed by other competing tech.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple is using slower technology in 2014 to transfer data between iPods and iPhones with computers than they were in 2001 (USB 2 vs. FireWire 400). Hope some of these technologies actually come to fruition eventually. If you fill an iPhone with video, it still takes a couple of hours to offload it.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I love how they're already talking about Thunderbolt 3 when companies barely even released tolerable accessories for Thunderbolt 1.

I'm refreshing Lacie's page everyday for the Thunderbolt 2 family being released this month and now this. Ohhhh the bleeding edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.