Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In celebration of Earth Day, which takes place on April 22, Apple has started updating the logos of some of its retail stores with green leaf accents, a departure from the standard white logo.

For example, Apple's massive Nanjing East retail store in Shanghai has been updated with the green Earth Day logo, as it is just after 8AM on April 22 in China.

greenapplelogo.jpg
Image courtesy of Instagram user znnina​

As noted last week by 9to5Mac, Apple is planning to celebrate Earth Day at multiple retail locations around the world, changing its logo and encouraging employees to wear special green shirts. The company is also planning to hold a special event at its headquarters in Cupertino, California.

Earlier today, Apple launched its "Better" environmental campaign, highlighting its efforts to lower its carbon footprint. Included in the campaign was a video detailing the construction of Apple Campus 2, which will be powered by 100 percent renewable energy sources.

(Thanks, Nina!)

Article Link: Apple Retail Store Logos Gain Green Leaves in Honor of Earth Day

Last edited:

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
I wonder what the environmental impact was to make the green covers used for this?

Just playing devils advocate.
My Jeep gets 5mpg, so clearly I'm not an environmentalist type.

EDIT: It does look good though.

syavno

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
Hmm... wouldn't it be something if tomorrow (a tuesday) Apple introduced an updated Mac mini. An update to their most energy efficient desktop? Would be nice to coincide with Earth day.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Not to mention the manufacturing impact of a wear-once special shirt for thousands of employees.

:) I agree but it's so obvious that the environmentalist movement is all about intent and nothing about actually doing anything for the environment. All of their current "green" technologies are worse for their environment than the non-"green" predecessors.

Should we drill in America with better technology, cleaner regulations, etc

or

Should we buy oil from the middle east with very little clean initiatives, then put it on 30 year old tankers and bring it across the oceans to American, then unload it.

Which is better for the environment? But again, its about "intent" and not really doing anything for the environment :)

Just my opinion on the OBVIOUS. No need to spam the hate :)

Simm95

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
:) I agree but it's so obvious that the environmentalist movement is all about intent and nothing about actually doing anything for the environment. All of their current "green" technologies are worse for their environment than the non-"green" predecessors.

Oh yeah, because completely renewable energy powered data centers are worse for our environment than ones powered by coal. And building the largest private solar plant isn't really doing anything either.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Not to mention the manufacturing impact of a wear-once special shirt for thousands of employees.
I haven't worked for Apple retail for several years, but still use the shirts around the house and yard. "Wear once at work" doesn't mean these shirts are "wear once only and then destroy", IMO. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of Earth Day to turn off the logos worldwide rather than color them green? Turning it green just seems like pandering & feel-goodism w/o sacrifice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.